Mechanical benefits of allying/kiling Big Rat?

I understand that both options unlock a bunch of different storylets. Mechanically, are the rewards for one side considered superior?

Story-wise I’m conflicted between helping my rat allies and learning his secrets.

Learn his secrets!
Also he can get you Dark Dewed Cherries.
Much more reliable than the Manager’s Uncle as far as obtaining Cherries is concerned.

I was conflicted as well, but since Heists of various kinds are very useful and in many cases are a profitable grind, I allied with him. The option to spend TRF for casing is great and there are some other situationally useful options as well.

What does the other branch get you? Besides an albino rat companion?

This opportunity card, which is not terribly useful, I’m afraid.

Interesting that you level up sympathetic to ratly concerns. Does raising it do anything?

If it gets super unbelievably high, there’s a minor Iron Republic branch you can’t do, and it also unlocks a bunch of options in the Big Rat story you just finished.

Killing the Big Rat gets you the Albino Rat and allows you to progress Playing With Broken Toys one more step up to the current content cap. Siding with the Big Rat means you don’t have to deal with the Albino Rat’s useless card afterwards. It’s also possible to reset the story for Fate afterwards if you regret your choice.

Sparing Big Rat gives you the best Casing grind option as long as you only want the items, and not care about echoes.
On the other hand, you have to leave a subhuman abomination alive, and who wants to do this?

[quote=CALLNXW]Sparing Big Rat gives you the best Casing grind option as long as you only want the items, and not care about echoes.
On the other hand, you have to leave a subhuman abomination alive, and who wants to do this?[/quote]

Actually, it’s often the best casing option in general, since it trades 2.4 E of goods (3 TRF) for 9 CP of casing.

Compare to the POSI Hoodlum option, which is 5 actions for 18 casing.

So for 18 casing either way it takes us:
Big Rat - 2 Actions and 4.8E
Hoodlum - 5 Actions and 0E

As long as you can make 1.6E/A or better, it’s a better option. Apart from the fact that, in my experience, if you don’t keep a large stock of TRF around, you’ll run out without realizing it and click the Running Battle assistance option instead. :)

I’m gonna wedgie you for talking about numbers to me

Such is my lot in life.

[quote=CALLNXW]Sparing Big Rat gives you the best Casing grind option as long as you only want the items, and not care about echoes.
On the other hand, you have to leave a subhuman abomination alive, and who wants to do this?[/quote]

Excuse me, some such abominations are nice people.
Not going to argue that the Big Rat is a terrible horrible person who is a neurotic paranoid tyrannical criminal though.

[quote=Wiwo][quote=CALLNXW]Sparing Big Rat gives you the best Casing grind option as long as you only want the items, and not care about echoes.

Actually, it’s often the best casing option in general, since it trades 2.4 E of goods (3 TRF) for 9 CP of casing.

Compare to the POSI Hoodlum option, which is 5 actions for 18 casing.

So for 18 casing either way it takes us:
Big Rat - 2 Actions and 4.8E
Hoodlum - 5 Actions and 0E

As long as you can make 1.6E/A or better, it’s a better option. Apart from the fact that, in my experience, if you don’t keep a large stock of TRF around, you’ll run out without realizing it and click the Running Battle assistance option instead. :)[/quote]
Wish I’d thought of that while getting Masters to 11. It took me forever to get all those TLS. Even cutting it down by a few percentage points would have been welcome.

Edit: There’s something else here worth noting too: This is a reasonably efficient way to reinvest Echoes into the item economy. Unless grinding for a heptagoat of Cider, there reaches a point where Echoes are about the least useful reward an action can provide (in an ironically EPA balanced analysis at least).

Heists are at least reasonably profitable. If you use Echoes to subsidize them, then you are efficiently turning a less useful resource into a more useful one.
edited by MrBurnside on 6/21/2016