May's Exceptional Story: HOJOTOHO!

Fantastic story. Definitely going down as one of my favorites. Aside from the well individualized characters, the variety in mechanics between missions and zero action cost for conversation were welcome reliefs (I really can’t stress too much the zero cost conversation). It’s also shockingly positive and idealistic for the Fallen London setting in which it seems every story is dark grey vs. darker gray. Amid all the intrigue and pursuit of eldritch knowledge at all cost, it’s refreshing to find a character just trying to make the world a better places in any way they can by simply helping people wherever possible, and without any shadowy ulterior motive.

My character would sorely like to offer some funding to this band of heroes, if not adopt all of them outright.
edited by Scienceandponies on 4/30/2017

Delightful characters, the Nobodies. London will be a little bit brighter with them roaming the roofs and the streets.

Cash Decuir, I tip my hat to you for a truly Exceptional Story and a rollicking good time, as well as some reflection on what it is to truly try to help London become a better place (for a given value of better, anyway). And thank you, fine Failbetter Folks, for letting us have conversations that don’t burn candles down to a nub.

This was a good story - not the longest, but no filler either, and a nice change by following a narrative path instead of a carousel. My only regret is that I couldn’t find something suitably unpleasant to feed that Art Dealer to… yet. I’ve been glad that my intuitions about Mr. Songbird have played out, yet… I’m still hung up on that final choice. Do both choices actually open up different connection card options?

The songbird one opens a new option in the foreign office instead.

The reveal behind the Songbird and the general connectedness of any late game player does make me question how my character has never been approached with an offer of serving as a Songbird.

A delightful little story.

In a bit of unfortunate timing, I finished getting Renown: Urchins 40 last week. Would have been mildly cheaper for me after this story. Oh well. Future Urchin favor usage will be more profitable now.

And HOJOTOHO! Valkyrie for Mayor!

1 Like

I would like to make the same request.[/quote]
double that

I would like to make the same request.[/quote]
double that[/quote]

I politely request the same.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Noah%20Rache?fromEchoId=11618177

There you go! (It rewards a storm threnody and a few other odds and ends)

Wait, if it gives a Storm-Threnody plus other items, is this a repeatable action? Seems pretty unusually profitable for something not on a card.

Its at the end of the carousel, and comes out to about 1.3 epa I believe.

Assuming that your character is connected to the Face then presumably because they have not demonstrated a wonderful singing voice.

Out-of-game wise of course because the whole songbird thing is a new concept.

Assuming that your character is connected to the Face then presumably because they have not demonstrated a wonderful singing voice.

Out-of-game wise of course because the whole songbird thing is a new concept.[/quote]
Even in-game-wise, the Songbird might be a new concept. I can’t find the exact echo, but I was under the impression this is a more recent refinement of previous practices.

Out-of-game wise of course because the whole songbird thing is a new concept.[/quote]
Even in-game-wise, the Songbird might be a new concept. I can’t find the exact echo, but I was under the impression this is a more recent refinement of previous practices.[/quote]

Mr Songbird’s been around for years, it seems. There’s a very obscure reference in one of the Literary Ambitions options in Veilgarden. Speaking of which, there’s now a new option that replaces it if you choose the Ringbreaker ending (not sure about the Songbird ending yet). It gives an Airs reroll, a Romantic Notion, and a Nightmares reduction.

Anyone know the HOJOTOHO! value for the Songbird ending?
edited by Optimatum on 5/1/2017

I absolutely love the new option on the urchins card. Aside from being mechanically better, the text is beautiful. It’s great to be able to hang out with this gang of urchins forever.

But now what am I supposed to do with all these weasels?

1 Like

If you have an excess of weasels, perhaps some time spent in Mahogany Hall will rid you of your troubles.

Even in-game-wise, the Songbird might be a new concept. I can’t find the exact echo, but I was under the impression this is a more recent refinement of previous practices.[/quote]

Mr Songbird’s been around for years, it seems. There’s a very obscure reference in one of the Literary Ambitions options in Veilgarden. Speaking of which, there’s now a new option that replaces it if you choose the Ringbreaker ending (not sure about the Songbird ending yet). It gives an Airs reroll, a Romantic Notion, and a Nightmares reduction.

Anyone know the HOJOTOHO! value for the Songbird ending?
edited by Optimatum on 5/1/2017[/quote]
The Songbird ending does not change the Urchin commission in Literary Ambitions. I read earlier in the thread that it gave a new option at the Foreign Office but have yet to check it out.

A funnier question has nary been asked.

A funnier question has nary been asked.[/quote]
I think there’s a plant that eats them?