Matters of pronunciation

Sometimes there are things the pronunciation of which I find myself having to guess, and I’d like to avoid falsely thinking a place is called one thing rather than another. The first I can think of would be Irem: is it ear-em or eye-rem?
edited by Vex on 1/14/2015

As English is pretty much unique in ever pronouncing &quoti&quot the way we do when we call it a &quotlong i&quot*, I’ve gone with the former.

*spoiler: it’s not a long i. It’s a diphthong where a completely different vowel gets all up in i’s business.
edited by Fretling on 1/14/2015

Assuming that Irem represents one of the common variant spellings of the real-world legend of Iram of the Pillars, well, Google indeed suggests a soft I and a delightful roll of the R.

And for good measure put a glottal stop before that I.
It’s the only way to be sure.

Something which has bugged me for a while: Are the Masters pronounced “Mister Names” or “Master Names”?

I’d say Master. Mister is too close to Mister Men, and they aren’t creepy at all. … Wait. No. They are pretty creepy. But not in a FL kind of way.

Personally, I pronounce the Masters as Mister Fires, Mister Veils or whichever one it is because to me, knowing the fact that The Masters of the Bazaar are so elusive and so little is know about them outside of their major business interests, its almost like an informal title people apply to make the Masters seem human.

Sort of like how Satan is sometimes called Mister Nick.

[quote=Gideon Xanthous]Personally, I pronounce the Masters as Mister Fires, Mister Veils or whichever one it is because to me, knowing the fact that The Masters of the Bazaar are so elusive and so little is know about them outside of their major business interests, its almost like an informal title people apply to make the Masters seem human.

Sort of like how Satan is sometimes called Mister Nick.[/quote]

Ooohhh. Yeah: I’d say ‘the Masters’, the Master names, but Mister Wines. I was being dim when I read the previous post.