March Exceptional Story: Slobgollion

Exceptional Story for March: Slobgollion

“Rubbery Men don’t take the slow boat. Wherever they go after death, none have ever returned to life – until now.”

Investigate the case of Mr Martin McIntosh, the subject of the first Rubbery resurrection. Get to know the bodies in Concord Square’s morgue, and delve into the Fifth City’s illegal amber trade. What secrets lurk beyond the grave? And what in the world does ‘slobgollion’ mean?

EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP

All Exceptional Friends receive:

• A new Exceptional Story every month
  • Memories of a Tale from each story to spend on exclusive companions and items
  • A second candle (up to 40 actions at once)
  • An expanded opportunity deck: ten cards instead of six
  • Three additional outfit slots
  • Access to the House of Chimes, including monthly gameplay perks

Enhanced Exceptional Friends receive all of the above, plus:

• A past story, or two resets of stories you’ve played from a monthly menu
  • Memories of a Tale from every past story or reset
  • Extra monthly perks in the House of Chimes
  • Three seven-action refreshes per month
3 Likes

That’s a hell of an artwork, gotta say. I am filled with a mixture of anticipation and anxiety!

2 Likes

I LOVE that zombie Rubbery. Also, this feels a little like a remake of sorts of the Rubbery Murders, which is pretty exciting. Perhaps this go around it will be good!

2 Likes

I don’t care for this one mechanically at all but I do appreciate trying something new!

The conversation codes are just not clicking at all for me, and it doesn’t make sense at all. I think it very much needs a tutorial of some sort without you having to opt to not play the puzzle yourself at all.

I think the story is kindof fun, although being so close to November’s Stripes of Wrath probably my favorite ES I’ve played so far, definitely makes the cop plot less interesting to me. The death stuff and Rubbery lore is thoroughly enjoyable though!

2 Likes

Oh, this one was excellent. The mechanics, the writing, the new concepts, the low action cost. And a new item! Many more like this, please.

1 Like

Oh wow! Really looking forward to this one.

Kudos to Toby Cook, that’s got to be right up there with the best ES promo artworks ever!

3 Likes

It leaves in the drawn epilogue :c

However I enjoyed the second half MUCH more than the beginning and it completely made the story for me personally!! Still bottom of my top 1/3 of ES’s played but it was very good!

Is anything unlocked with the normal Boatman?

When I finally understood how to get the combinations during the interrogation, I wanted to scream. So simple, and yet it took me embarrassingly long enough to figure it out. Once that was done though, the rest was smooth sailing.

I loved the investigating mechanics and appreciated the relatively low AP cost of this one! Going to need to take some time to sit on the lore implications of this one though.

3 Likes

oh dear. I don’t think that rubbery came back right at all.
Suppose I’ll have to find out myself to be sure.

Low action cost… you mean like the billion actions it takes to work out the interrogation combination?

Well. I’m up to about 80 actions and haven’t worked it out. I assume the clues are the bracketed words and emphasis on things. This leaves, taste, vision, vibration, viscosity and touch… Uh huh… simple combination…

Yeah… I’m up to about 80 actions and it just seems like guess work now

It’s not about brackets or italics or anything like that. Each of the three clues at each site emphasises a particular sense or action. So, if at one of the scenes the clues involved listening to the neighbours talking through the paper-thin walls, feeling the scratches on the lock left by the murderer’s lockpicks, and tracing the chaos caused by the victim’s contortions as the poison did its work, you’d go Speak - Touch - Contort.

2 Likes

Not sure how much spoilers you want - but I figured it out by paying attention to the descriptions and images you get when visiting the crime scenes. And I mean all of it. From there you can work out the corresponding images and combinations.

2 Likes

Sigh… That’s just silly. The answer, which I got… is not relevant to the content of the clues themselves. That isn’t a good puzzle TBH

2 Likes

100% agreed. Moreover they don’t explain that you need to focus on one location at a time! I spent a good chunk of actions thinking we had to figure out which clue was important at each of the 3 scenes and put then together.

Not impressed with the mechanics of this one! I’d like to like it because the story was great but this is probably only a 6/10 for me because the mechanica are really poorly explained.

1 Like

That is explained somewhere, actually, but it’s not right in the main path. Maybe in the place where you can choose to lower the difficulty? I know I read it somewhere, and in retrospect I’m sure I would not have guessed it otherwise.

1 Like

I never saw it and only figured it out when I got frustrated and tried out of sheer desperation doing all of the Spite location clues at once.

The italicized description you get after the body text of each clue has an icon beside it. Match that icon to the corresponding communication method. I was actually kind of disappointed that there was a giveaway, even outside of easy mode.

3 Likes