Map for the Unterzee

Discussion go here.

I like the map, but I’m very intrigued by “We know voyages are unpopular and we are working on making them more fun and less frustrating.” I actually enjoy Zailing in its current format, and would Zail more except that it wipes certain qualities (mostly Dramatic Tension, which I build via Nadir). Helicon House actually made the quality wipe even more relevant… Honestly I would want changes made to the Zailing destinations more than Zailing itself, although they could be related to each other.

The map doesn’t really do anything right now. You can’t click on the destinations to go somewhere. But I’m hoping this will be part of the mechanical re-work.

So… now that we’ve established precedent for a second map. What are the odds we get maps for other areas as well? The Hinterlands and Parabola both come to mind, as does Port Carnelian.

Until now, it’s just a fancy new image. But it points into a interesting direction.

I would also like to see different travel times, depending on how far we want to go away from london. Mutton Island is closer to London than Port Carnelian for example.

/edit:

[quote=PSGarak]I like the map, but I’m very intrigued by &quotWe know voyages are unpopular and we are working on making them more fun and less frustrating.&quot I actually enjoy Zailing in its current format, and would Zail more except that it wipes certain qualities (mostly Dramatic Tension, which I build via Nadir). Helicon House actually made the quality wipe even more relevant… Honestly I would want changes made to the Zailing destinations more than Zailing itself, although they could be related to each other.

The map doesn’t really do anything right now. You can’t click on the destinations to go somewhere. But I’m hoping this will be part of the mechanical re-work.

So… now that we’ve established precedent for a second map. What are the odds we get maps for other areas as well? The Hinterlands and Parabola both come to mind, as does Port Carnelian.[/quote]

Well, zailing itself is somewhat okay… the real problem are voyages. You have to build up Approaching Journeys End to 10 once per voyage and another time afterwards to get back to London. And the voyages itself also doesn’t feel interesting after the first walktrough. All in all, I did them somwhat often to get back to the university and ignored them until the railway. Since the railway release I did 2-3 trips to Corpsecage Island in order to get hands on some Horned Skulls. But even for that I usually thought twice about this because of the reward compared to the time out of london.

About new maps:
I would somewhat agree on the hinterlands, even if this could mean some extra work if it shall become more than a fancy image.
Parabola would feel somewhat strange lorewise, because it’s said that parabola is always changing. so a map would require to reflect this, which means it could be very anoying for players.
Port Carnelian… hmm… might be interesting to look at, but unless they add new content down there, I don’t see much usage for it. I assume same goes for the Iron Republic (I wasn’t there until now, so i can’t say for sure).
edited by Judaspriester on 9/15/2020

The only really “frustrating” part of voyages is the quality reset. Yeah, it’s an action sink, but so are many other things.

I didn’t know voyages were unpopular.

I’ll make use for it as soon as I finally get accepted by those d____d monster-hunters! Those harpoons they use are rightful tidy but whoever is sealing these bl___y unsigned letters needs to remember I exist. Harumph.

My biggest issue with them is compared to other content they take you away for a long time.Not necessarily for an unrealistic amount of time, but while I will go to other places just to mess around with the content I don’t get on the ship unless I have to. Especially with loss of progression stats.

I feel I am most excited for the full map, as it showed both Irem and the Khanate on it, although that would likely be far off given the amount of content we still have in the railway to go.

I don’t feel like voyages are unpopular per se - I also don’t dislike them personally. I just don’t think zailing itself is attractive.

The destination is the thing, zailing is just something you do to get there. Which is fine I guess? Like someone else said, there are plenty of action sinks in the game and this is just another one. But anything that makes zailing more fun I am absolutely on board (intended) for.

Unpopular doesn’t mean that people don’t like them - rather, if Failbetter is making this statement based on their data, then it would mean that there are not a lot of players that would go on the voyages for all kinds of reasons.

Other than one-time-only storylines, there are few reasons to go out there into the Unter-zee. Almost everything that the Unter-zee can offer, can be had on land.

Heck, Deep-Zee Catches can be had from Upper River content, and not out at Zee, for example.
edited by Rostygold on 9/16/2020

I was surprised so many people enjoyed zailing, actually, in response to that statement. I only ever zailed when forced, as it took so many actions, left me unavailable for social actions and I think Time the Healer, and it feels very monotonous/repetitive to build up to ten with the sane cards every time. It’s also not worth it for me, as there’s nothing in any of the destinations that I need or want and no new story content. In comparison, London has so much late-game content, and all I need to grind, and social actions and so forth (wish we had a postman that went outside London, as well as one that doesn’t hold your parcel hostage until your pal returns to give it to you in person).

Definitely excited to see improvements.

It is live.

Discussion go here again.

As if London hasn’t enough of its own depraved bats already :)

Also I like the way the pipes/towers of the Iron Republic resemble a honeycomb.

I have always enjoyed zailing. It feels like adventure, even though there are still a limited number of cards and destinations. What keeps me from doing more of it is unwillingness to cut myself off from London for very long.