Manipulate strings? Set a quality to eq. another?

My thanks to those who answered the other questions. Here’s two other things I’d like to be able to do. This is probably more about coding than the SN engine.

1. Save a string of text. For example, what someone says. Store it, then retrieve it for display. Add it to other strings: &quotyou&quot + &quotare&quot + &quota&quot + &quotjerk&quot.

2. Set one quality’s value to equal another’s. For example, if I meet some orcs, but I don’t know what they are, I can have a quality &quotAnnoyed by pig-faced scum&quot at, say, 5. After I’ve discovered that they are actually orcs, I’d want this to be set to 0 and vanish, which is easily done, and start an &quotAnnoyed by orcs&quot quality at the same level.

[quote=Von Prabik]My thanks to those who answered the other questions. Here’s two other things I’d like to be able to do. This is probably more about coding than the SN engine.

1. Save a string of text. For example, what someone says. Store it, then retrieve it for display. Add it to other strings: &quotyou&quot + &quotare&quot + &quota&quot + &quotjerk&quot.

2. Set one quality’s value to equal another’s. For example, if I meet some orcs, but I don’t know what they are, I can have a quality &quotAnnoyed by pig-faced scum&quot at, say, 5. After I’ve discovered that they are actually orcs, I’d want this to be set to 0 and vanish, which is easily done, and start an &quotAnnoyed by orcs&quot quality at the same level.[/quote]

3. You can use change descriptions a bit like this. But will be hard to do this without it looking odd in the card results.

4. Look at Rich Quality Requirements and Effects in the doc I linked you to before.

Change descriptions? What do you mean?

Related: can I actually use Qualities with SN as conditionals without displaying them? I mean, if I just want to let the engine know that “Orcs is bad” is 1, is there any way to do it invisibly to the player? Without him seeing a message? Without assigning that Quality to the character at all, or if you have to assign all Qualities to the character, doing it invisibly - somehow? Perhaps I can use another Persona as a dummy to stick all those mechanics Qualities onto instead of the player character?

Another possibility for strings: if there is a limited number of possibilities, I could create a Quality for each. To store “and he said” I could create a Quality of the same name. But that’s just storing; how would I print this Quality later? Yes, how do I quote a Quality within a description box? If at all.

You can display a quality’s description using [q:Quality name] (it’s case sensitive). And there’s no way to assign values silently.

And if I use this syntax to display a Quality that doesn’t exist? Will it just not do anything or give a 0 or throw an error? Will test myself if necessary. I would guess referring to a Quality that isn’t there shouldn’t do anything at all. What I’m thinking of is Fallen London. When you get out of insanity, you lose dream qualities - Death by Water and so on, all you have. But not any more than you have. The storylet there probably sets the dream qualities to 0, listing all of them, and the dreams the player character has never had, well, it doesn’t do anything to those Qualities. Am I on the right track here?

It depends on the quality type, and it may depend on whether it was there in the past for that character or not. You can put a description in for the value of zero though, and I think it will normally display that if the quality is set to zero.

Internally, if a character has never had a quality, it does exist for them. But if they’ve had it and it’s been set to zero, they have the quality but at zero. That doesn’t normally make any difference, but I think can do in situations such as this.