Making Waves...from Wine

No, I don’t mean filing the Unterzee with the essence of mushroom, though if someday I am able to, I would certainly attempt to do so.

Greetings, Fallen Londoners! With the change in the way Making Waves (MW) and Notability affects each other, as long as you are able to keep your MW higher than your Notability, your Notability remains intact. This is a little scheme that I am currently using to get 5 Notability points.

Step 1: Head to Veilgarden. Dealing with Your Crowd Of Admirers under Unfinished Business gives you a random amount of Greyfields 1879, usually between 300-800 for me. This first step costs 5 actions. To continue, we need at least 650 bottles of wine.

Step 2: Enter Veilgarden’s honey-dens, and turn the wine into honey. This gives you 40 drops of honey for 50 bottles of wine and gives 1CP of MW. To continue, we need at least 500 drops of prisoner’s honey. This step will take at least 13 actions.

Step 3: Convert the Prisoner’s Honey into Romantic Notions. This step takes 1 action, and gives you 105 Romantic Notions for the 500 Prisoner’s Honey. No MW CP is earned in this step.

Step 4: Convert the Romantic Notions into Visions of the Surface. This takes 1 action, converts 50 Romantic Notions into 10 VotS, gives 2 CP of MW, and might give you other items, if you’re fortunate. I assume that the conversion of 500 Romantic Notions will give you 20 CP of MW.

Step 5 (optional): Convert VotS into Touching Love Stories. 50 VotS into 10 TLS, and 2CP of MW. You might get 100 Greyfields 1879, if you’re lucky.

In summary, this cycle takes 21 to 26 actions and gives you 15 CP of MW. Thank you for taking your time to read this post!

[li]

There’s got to be a better way. Admirers, wine in to honey, and making 10 VotS at once are not efficient uses of actions.

Life of the mind in the court gives honey (or other things) and 1CP of making waves per action :).

Alas, it doesn’t. Just 2 CP.

Alas, it doesn’t. Just 2 CP.[/quote]
Such a shame, really. Alas, it would be better if it actually scaled. Or was better. I’ll try to confirm that with my next conversion attempt.[li]

Glad to see some long streams of actions to raise making waves, but any time I see a 1cp increase, I prefer &quotinvite to chess&quot and &quotinvite to caligula’s coffehouse&quot in the lodgings area. It also gives you second chances (but caps out at 11 sudden insights and 15 confident smiles, so I spend those on stat increases as I go along). I recently found out I can send multiple invitations to the same person without waiting for them to &quotaccept&quot the first one. My alt character has made this very easy, although I try to balance it with allowing the alt to explore other stories, since they are a beginning character that i created in order to reexperience the earlier stories. As for item conversions that increase a LOT of making waves, the best I’ve heard of is tale pf terror convert to extraordinary implication (failure gives 5cps of MW while still giving you extraordinary implications, success gives you 10cps of MWs and rare success gives you a whopping 30cps! Converting those extraordinary implications to uncanny incanabulums gives MWs too, although the wikia doesn’t say how much.
edited by airshipmedic on 1/5/2014

I find the opening post item conversion MW sequence most useful at the point in the game when one has just become PoSI, with no MW or Notability, has no 4 card lodgings yet, and wants to purchase one by grinding 50 Bazaar permits. But even then, I would stack up all the honey first, turn them into huge amount of romantic notions in order to be prepared. So no turning wine into honey. Then wait for time, the Healer and do the remaining conversions. In addition to the 4 card lodgings, the player also has a huge amount of MW on top.

I’m happily strumming along Making Waves through the Singing Mandrake’s options for the schools of art, interspersed with the lodging-specific options.

Can you be more specific how the schools of Art translate into Making Waves? I only used them for Mr Sacks storyletd.

Can you be more specific how the schools of Art translate into Making Waves? I only used them for Mr Sacks storyletd.[/quote]

I’m a little sad there was never a Nocturnal option. I’d love to see what kind of crazy thing I’d write!

Writing poems in the Singing Mandrake is a fairly alright way to get MW with a small amount of cash on the side. I think Nocturnal poems are the best for MW. they’re all very variable, though
edited by Spacemarine9 on 1/5/2014

One needs must be Subtle, Melancholy, or Forceful (at least 3), have the requisite crafting items (variously: Zee Ztorys and Memories of Distant Shores or Tales of Terror and Journals of Infamy or Romantic Notions and Visions of the Surface). I’m not sure what the base stat requirement is as I’m above 140 in all my stats. 3 actions required at a time.[li]

The Celestial School option is &quotFinish a Libretto&quot and yielded 4 CP of Making Waves the last time I checked it.
edited by Violetta on 1/5/2014

On the topic of getting MW from wine, I just played the card

The Tower of Sparrows: Vice and Virtue in a Gambling Den

and got a whopping amount of MW per action.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Bring_the_celebration_back_home

Downside? You need 1x Night on the Town.

I deduce from this that Journalist would have been an awfully nice pre-PoSI profession so I could have received a stockpile of those over the accumulated playtime in preparation.
edited by Karhumies on 1/6/2014

[quote=Karhumies]Downside? You need 1x Night on the Town.

I deduce from this that Journalist would have been an awfully nice pre-PoSI profession so I could have received a stockpile of those over the accumulated playtime in preparation.
edited by Karhumies on 1/6/2014[/quote]

That’s a very big downside because buying a &quotNight at the Town&quot at the Bazaar Sidestreets actually costs a lot of Making Waves. As far as I know, the only way to get these without buying them at the Bazaar Sidestreets is being a journalist or Author.

[quote=airshipmedic]Converting those extraordinary implications to uncanny incanabulums gives MWs too, although the wikia doesn’t say how much.[/quote]I got Making Waves +15 CP from an unlucky result, and apparently it’s a range of 1-20. So it seems likely that getting a fortunate result would give more, or at least a higher average.

And for any darlings of the Ambassador’s ball I’d like to recommend An invitation to dinner on the Park and Palace: Society card, as it seems to have been upgraded from +2 CP to +5 CP of Making Waves.

A little off-topic, but I do wish that the professional payments were a little more even. While the professions all have the same pure monetary value across tiers, some of them pay much more useful or difficult to obtain items than others - especially when they pay POSI items, which are really ‘worth’ far more than the flat value they sell for.

As for MW - Converting up Tales of Terror is a great way to do it, if you have the Tales.[li]
edited by Laluzi on 1/6/2014

[quote=Laluzi]A little off-topic, but I do wish that the professional payments were a little more even. While the professions all have the same pure monetary value across tiers, some of them pay much more useful or difficult to obtain items than others - especially when they pay POSI items, which are really ‘worth’ far more than the flat value they sell for.

As for MW - Converting up Tales of Terror is a great way to do it, if you have the Tales.[li]
edited by Laluzi on 1/6/2014[/quote]

[/li][li]I’ve always wondered why the Midnighter’s special item isn’t a weapon, but a house comfort, like the Voluminous Library or even the Basalt Gymnasium. I do understand that the Shrine of S.Joshua is supposed to be, well, a shrine, but something that gives a higher stat bonus would have been nice.[/li][li]