Making Money

Okay, so I want to get a Overgoat and Eventually a Ubergoat, as well as other monetary items. (Just curious, do you just need two of the former for the latter or am i missing something?)

Why? Why the hell not? :)

Thing is, to do this, I need money. LOTS of money.

So I’d like to ask all you kind sirs for your best moneymaking tips, in as idiotproof a manner as possible since there are things i do not know about the game yet.

Currently I am training a Louche Devil for Nevercold Brass Slivers (taking the slightly less profitable option currently available to me since I have lost my soul :( ) But I’d also like a few things to mix things up a bit, be it storylets, selling rare items currently useless to me etc.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kylestien

Hmm. For a new player, spamming social action seems to be good: a certain action gives you about 1.2 echo on average (lodging: Invite a friend to join you in something potentially dangerous: All this blood has got you thinking about death). For an advanced player, I know you could do the carousel for a collection of curiosity, sell them for 5 maps on the faction card, and sell the maps - 1.4 per action. But I have not visited the unterzee yet, so I don’t know much.
edit: Sorry I made a mistake. curiosities should get you 1.7.

edited by zbr308 on 10/8/2014

There are lots of other things I would advise you to do before worrying about getting an Overgoat (and by the way, you are correct - you need two of those and 1 Fate to get an Ubergoat).

Are you a Person of Some Importance yet? If so, the Affair of the Box is the best repeatable money maker. The poster above is referring to earning Collections of Curiosities by playing the War of Assassins, and then selling those to the Tomb Colonists on their faction card, which gets you 5 Puzzling Maps. That’s also good, but card-dependent.

If you are not a POSI, I would advise upping your stats to 100 (including bonuses for equipment) and achieving that first.

First you get the stats, then you get the money. :cool:

Okay, mostly kidding. You can get plenty of money while getting the stats. Two very grindable options that don’t depend on drawing cards can be found at the second part of the University (as long as you don’t proceed too far with the investigation) and in the Third Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers (as long as you don’t proceed too far there). They both offer resources while you’re building a progress quality, which you can then use in the Flit to either raid message-drops (or caches of Rostygold), or hunt a goat demon (or rat brigands in Spite). The hunting pays better, but I progressed too far for that. For the University you need high Watchful and Scholar of the Correspondence, for the Labyrinth of Tigers you need very high Dangerous.

Other stuff involved advanced stuff like the Cave of Nadir (cards, grind, skulls, cards), and the Acacia and the Butterfly (cards, cards, and a card), Crime or Punishment? (more cards).

EDIT: Okay, maybe I shouldn’t call the Acacia and the Butterfly &quotadvanced&quot, because it’s a connection based card-grind, so you can start it as soon as you can build the right connections at the Carnival, which is as soon as you escape from New Newgate. Oh, and you can also sell out London (and humanity) to the revolutionaries by drawing cards in the Flit. Very profitable to trade favours with them. Just don’t let anyone know I said that. Wear your pin discreetly.
edited by Gillsing on 10/8/2014

Everybody has their favourite money making activity - I would say that the higher your stats the more money you make and more opportunities to make money will be available.

Personally I am fond of the Forgotten Quarter, not a guaranteed source of income but I like the uncertainty of the rewards and I am not in a rush to get the Ubergoat, I know I will get there one day :)

The Affair of the Box can earn your money? Wow I didn’t know that. How do you get money from it? It has been lying around for a long time, because I don’t have enough Shadowy to get the intrigues.

[quote=A B Nile]There are lots of other things I would advise you to do before worrying about getting an Overgoat (and by the way, you are correct - you need two of those and 1 Fate to get an Ubergoat).

Are you a Person of Some Importance yet? If so, the Affair of the Box is the best repeatable money maker. The poster above is referring to earning Collections of Curiosities by playing the War of Assassins, and then selling those to the Tomb Colonists on their faction card, which gets you 5 Puzzling Maps. That’s also good, but card-dependent.

If you are not a POSI, I would advise upping your stats to 100 (including bonuses for equipment) and achieving that first.[/quote]

i’ve never used the affair of the box as an echo source, but i think you’re suppose to raise your &quotkingmaker&quot quality to a certain level to get a better reward at the end of the carousel.

personally i still prefer the university/flit flip mentioned above, and also hunter’s keep across the unterzee. another &quotflip&quot you could try is the one involving the endpart of the Big Rat story in your lodgings, then use the running battle quality to get rostygold in wolfstack’s black ribbon duels.

a more recent discovery, for me, would be cycling(show your disapproval to whatshername on a certain day) through Iron Republic to get multiple journals, and some banned books at the end. but it does raise some of your menances to a very high level once you decide to stop the cycle, so you have to sacrifice some &quotChanged by the Iron Republic&quot to reduce the menances. that should cost you about half a journal’s worth of CBTIR each time you use that option? might be more profitable if you have the nemesis ambiton which allows you to repeat the whole cycle without upsetting a certain woman on a certain day.

more luck-based and inefficient methods:
-rob the rat or the officer in spite, and hope to get a rare reward (ratwork watch or swordcane respectively).
-buy diamonds in sidestreets and hope to find a better quality diamond among your purchase.
-sell 1 half of a puzzling map. but requires some investment, high respectable or bizarre, and chance of losing your investment and getting nothing out of it. also need to wait a few days to actually receive the map-half in your lodgings.
-fidgeting writer. seriously a bad idea unless you have low stats and not a POSI yet.
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 10/8/2014

Yes, if you get Kingmaker high enough there’s a payoff in Mourning Candles worth 20Es each time around. The nice thing about the Affair of the Box is that you don’t really have to use the ‘carousel’ storylets at all–you can go about your business elsewhere and just pick the Intrigue options on the faction dispute cards as they come up. Periodically you hit 13 Intrigue and swing by the Flit to pick up your candles.

(Also–buying diamonds isn’t a great moneymaker, but it’s certainly as good/better than selling the same 200 Cryptic Clues at the Bazaar would be. The vast majority of the time, you’re trading one action for an extra 1.4E; trading 4E worth of Clues for 5.4 E worth of diamonds. That’s as good as most uses of an action. And then you have the off-chance of hitting a jackpot.)
edited by Breckner on 10/8/2014

[quote=zbr308]
edit: Sorry I made a mistake. curiosities should get you 1.7.

edited by zbr308 on 10/8/2014[/quote]

1.78 actually (11 x 3 for the dramatic tension, 1 to get the collection, 1 to cash it in for maps for 62.50 in 35 actions)

[quote=Breckner]YThe nice thing about the Affair of the Box is that you don’t really have to use the ‘carousel’ storylets at all–you can go about your business elsewhere and just pick the Intrigue options on the faction dispute cards as they come up. Periodically you hit 13 Intrigue and swing by the Flit to pick up your candles.
[/quote]

But then you can’t hit the option that gives a couple bonus correspondence plaques :-(

[quote=xKiv][quote=Breckner]YThe nice thing about the Affair of the Box is that you don’t really have to use the ‘carousel’ storylets at all–you can go about your business elsewhere and just pick the Intrigue options on the faction dispute cards as they come up. Periodically you hit 13 Intrigue and swing by the Flit to pick up your candles.
[/quote]

But then you can’t hit the option that gives a couple bonus correspondence plaques :-([/quote]

That’s true! If you stop by Spite for those it adds a few more echoes worth of value onto the total. But it’s only available from 7-10 intrigue, I think.

so far i found that the detective’s namecard is better for getting corespondence plagues, other than converting. but that requires you to play a rather luck-based “cat and mouse” game to get them.

[quote=Breckner][quote=xKiv][quote=Breckner]YThe nice thing about the Affair of the Box is that you don’t really have to use the ‘carousel’ storylets at all–you can go about your business elsewhere and just pick the Intrigue options on the faction dispute cards as they come up. Periodically you hit 13 Intrigue and swing by the Flit to pick up your candles.
[/quote]

But then you can’t hit the option that gives a couple bonus correspondence plaques :-([/quote]

That’s true! If you stop by Spite for those it adds a few more echoes worth of value onto the total. But it’s only available from 7-10 intrigue, I think.[/quote]

Boxes 8, 9 and 10 are the ones with the Plaques (if you choose to intercept the messages, that is).

Yeah, not everyone can get the Correspondence Plaques from that storyline. Or at least not everybody wants to choose that side of things. I wish there was something for the other side, but it’s still decent for money without it so I’m not too bothered.

I think the point is more ‘this is an extra echo worth of items for these actions’ rather than actually farming correspondance plaques specifically.

Yep. It’s something like extra 20 ppa, making up over 11% of the total profit there (with mourning candles).

Off the side of my head, I think the best way to grind just correspondence plaques is to gang-of-hoodlums casing, use it to particularly steal journals of infamy, and sideconvert those, for … 51 plaques/20.78 actions? 122.7 ppa?

Actually, it’s probably better to affair-of-the-box strangling willow absinthes, and side-convert those. The 6 extra plaques make this a ~140 ppa grind.

For comparison, you would need to find a X/a maniac’s prayer grind to reach that level, where (105*50)/(1+500/X)=140
[X=13.6986 … do you know a 137 ppa grind for maniac prayers?]

I’m not sure what the exact odds for breeding monsters are but successfully breeding a somnolent hyena with fungi and pious wrath is 144 ppa in maniac’s prayer, but the actual result will be lower depending on the success rate.

[quote=WormApotheote]I’m not sure what the exact odds for breeding monsters are but successfully breeding a somnolent hyena with fungi and pious wrath is 144 ppa in maniac’s prayer, but the actual result will be lower depending on the success rate.[/quote]I’ve done some calculations on breeding that hyaena.

Breed the Somnolent Hyaena (assuming pretty good odds = 70% fortunate + 30% unlucky, and 5 Actions, 100 x Prisoner’s Honey, and 10 x Cryptic Clue spent acquiring the beast)

Fungus and pious wrath (310 x Maniac’s Prayer or 210 x Maniac’s Prayer)
(0.7 x 310 x 0.1 + 0.3 x 210 x 0.1 - 100 x 0.02 - 10 x 0.02) / (5 + 7 + 7 + 1) = (21.7 + 6.3 - 2 - 0.2) / 20 = 1.29 Echoes/Action

Not something I’d bother repeating for the resources. Especially since I prefer having no Nightmares.

[quote=xKiv]Yep. It’s something like extra 20 ppa, making up over 11% of the total profit there (with mourning candles).

Off the side of my head, I think the best way to grind just correspondence plaques is to gang-of-hoodlums casing, use it to particularly steal journals of infamy, and sideconvert those, for … 51 plaques/20.78 actions? 122.7 ppa?[/quote]

Does this take into account that the casing is only partially consumed by the Thefts of Particular Character? I’m not sure enough on the stats for Casing options to tell.

You have to do at least two thefts of Journals to have enough to side convert anyway, and the second theft will always be easier than the first because you will start with 6-8 Casing. If you want a LOT of Plaques, every set of 50 at the first will also be cheaper for the same reason (assuming you don’t do anything to wipe your casing between thefts).

That being said, I don’t imagine it would hike it up enough to make it more efficient than the Intrigue/Absinthe option you described.

[quote=Breckner]Does this take into account that the casing is only partially consumed by the Thefts of Particular Character? I’m not sure enough on the stats for Casing options to tell.

You have to do at least two thefts of Journals to have enough to side convert anyway, and the second theft will always be easier than the first because you will start with 6-8 Casing. If you want a LOT of Plaques, every set of 50 at the first will also be cheaper for the same reason (assuming you don’t do anything to wipe your casing between thefts).

That being said, I don’t imagine it would hike it up enough to make it more efficient than the Intrigue/Absinthe option you described.[/quote]

It actually doesn’t account for the fact that you need to initially build up a lot more casing; so your actual payout will be lower than that; this is just the limit as the amount of times you do it approaches infinity.