Magnificent Diamond Sources

Hello everyone! Apologies if this is something that can be found elsewhere, but through digging and searches the last I saw anything about this was over a year ago, and I don’t think those answers apply anymore.

I am in the process of grinding items for a Zubmarine in a non fate-locked way. I’ve manage to collect all of my Whirring Contraptions and Strong-Backed Labor, but am stuck on the grinding of a Bejeweled Lens. I cannot, for the life of me, find a Magnificent Diamond anywhere!

Can anyone direct me to a non fate-locked way that I might obtain them? Is it just a matter of chance on expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter? Is there any easier ways to get them?

Current stats sans items are:

Watchful: 118
Shadowy: 105
Dangerous: 105
Persuasive: 130

I have no idea how rare of a Rare Success it is, but you can get one with a Rare Success while buying flawed diamonds in Empire Adornments in the Side-Streets.

EDIT: Oh, and Murderers get them as part of their weekly payment.
edited by Mordaine Barimen on 8/12/2014

Challenging thefts with a Master Jewel Thief spouse also gives Magnificent Diamonds. Just make sure to use Hastily Scrawled Warning Notes to ‘perhaps not’ out of failed attempts, because it costs so much to try that failures eat up all the profits if you allow for them. (You’d still get the occasional diamond, just at a much higher cost in Intriguing Gossip.)

You may also get two magnificent diamonds in Forgotten Quarter expeditions from uncovering an unpredictable treasure - the wooden mask. I got that result while doing Thieve’s Cache, not sure if any other expeditions yield them too.

And in case you haven’t been to the Cave of Nadir yet, this will help you reach Archeologist 5, which is one of the requirements for starting the expedition.

Apparently you can also receive them from the more difficult of the two Implausible Penances that give out diamonds. Connected: Criminals can be raised in the Flit, which incidentally also raises Shadowy by a sizable amount.

(wiki link)

Other than that, there are two one-off sources, which you’re probably past already.
From expeditions, you get them from values ~41 to 59 (probably 40-59) This means there’s almost a 20/80 chance (25%) from the Thieve’s Cache and almost 20/160 (12.5%) from the Shrine. (slightly lower, to take into account the chance of getting skulls)

[quote=Asfodella]You may also get two magnificent diamonds in Forgotten Quarter expeditions from uncovering an unpredictable treasure - the wooden mask. I got that result while doing Thieve’s Cache, not sure if any other expeditions yield them too.

And in case you haven’t been to the Cave of Nadir yet, this will help you reach Archeologist 5, which is one of the requirements for starting the expedition.[/quote]

Perfect, thank you! I suppose I haven’t done enough expeditions yet to uncover it. Thank you!

Is that a card that can only be found while in the Flit, when your Connected:Criminals is high enough? Or does it just have to do with your Connections, not location?

I believe it requires Criminals 10, but the card can come up anywhere.

[li]

[quote=Caden]Is that a card that can only be found while in the Flit, when your Connected:Criminals is high enough? Or does it just have to do with your Connections, not location?[/quote]It does seem to require Connected to: Criminals 10, but it isn’t specific to the Flit. The option that gives 2 x Magnificent Diamond seems to require Connected to: Criminals 30, which is then reduced by 500 CP. So that’d take some time to rebuild. (link)

Got it. I think the Thieves Cache expedition is actually more efficient than grinding my Connected: Criminals and then waiting for the card. I spent all day yesterday running various expeditions and after 4 I came upon the Wooden Mask treasure. Certainly faster than grinding out the 20 whirring contraptions - that’s taken me 3 months.