Lornflukes

What do they want? Why are are they chasing me??! What are they saying!!??

I don’t really want to kill them. Partly because they turn me into Zee Paste when I try, but also because they seem to be trying to communicate. On the other hand, maybe they’re trying suck my brain out through my eye sockets in order to transform me into a mindless minion of some sort.

Misunderstood friendly sentients or Extra-dimensional Lords of Destruction?

Misunderstood angry sentients i think.

More like horrors from below Creation and the remnants of the old cities and the Bazaars victims according to Fallen London lore.

Most certainly not friendly.

Alien probes, that’s what I think. Aliens!

I’ll admit, though, I like Zee-Bat’s explanation a lot more. :)

edited by Owen Wulf on 8/21/2014

I’m fairly sure they’re not, like, Cthulhu-level reality-destroying eldritch abominations. At least not individually, they certainly seem pretty powerful collectively when you meet up with them in one of the Destinies in Fallen London. (Still probably not powerful enough to damage reality itself, but certainly a credible threat to the Bazaar.) You can also meet some less murderous relatives of theirs in the fatelocked Flute Street storyline.

Also they don’t seem to like humans much. I’ve got no idea why, I just inferred that from the fact that they attack you and Correspondence you to death on sight.

I’m actually more inclined towards the ‘aliens’ view than the ‘remnants of the old cities’ view, myself.

They’re pretty definitely aliens, and probably were around before the bazaar got here. (or at least arrived at around the same time? That part I’m less sure of)

According to Fallen London lore the cores of the Flukes are the remains of the souls(?)/colors(?) of the people of the previous Cities, also known as what happened to said Cities.

Which storyline gave you that impression? I have only seen the &quotless murderous relatives&quot on Flute Street, but I understood the story to be

before the First City, the Bazaar plied its trade on another world; the Flukes are surviving, er, clients from that world, and the Rubbery Men are their descendants, genetically reengineered to be better at interacting with humanity.

edited by zwol on 9/7/2014

The Bazaar brought the Flukes to London. They came from a very different planet. The lorn-flukes (the flukes in Flute Street are not lorn-flukes) feel that the Bazaar betrayed them in some way; they were promised that the Bazaar would help them commingle all choirs (which probably means destroying the chain and bringing everything together in amalgamy). They are definitely not the souls of individuals from the previous cities.

edited by Snowskeeper on 9/7/2014

Huh, I must have interpreted a story wrong then. That does sound better anyway. ^^

Well there’s the destiny storylet

which would suggest some might be born from people here, but i mean, that’s only one we know of and only if you pick that specific destiny. It’s pretty clear elsewhere their origins are extraterrestrial though

edited by WormApotheote on 9/8/2014

Which storyline gave you that impression? I have only seen the &quotless murderous relatives&quot on Flute Street, but I understood the story to be

before the First City, the Bazaar plied its trade on another world; the Flukes are surviving, er, clients from that world, and the Rubbery Men are their descendants, genetically reengineered to be better at interacting with humanity.

edited by zwol on 9/7/2014[/quote]

The Destiny The Memory all but straight out states it:

&quotYou open your eyes and mouth to darkness. The hatch opens, expelling you into the crushing void. There is a long moment of icy terror, before the Lorn-Flukes take you. You are not dead. You are not dead: what you were is gone. You are an organ, a treasure, a scrapbook memento. You are an eye that sees through utter night. You are the seed which will be the youngest of the Lorn-Flukes. Far less than your siblings. Far greater than anything human.&quot AKA you offer yourself to the Lorn-Flukes and your soul becomes the seed of a new one.