Lethophobia

Ugh! I swear we hunted for bugs like professional de-buggers. I’ve dropped you a pm - but anyone else having this issue, please let me know and I’ll work out what’s happening.

Right - if you’re having a problem finding the diary, go back to the hiding place. There was an issue where the hiding place locked off too early in some circumstances - this has been fixed and I’ve facepalmed till my forehead bruised. You can get back to it by the garden travel card. SORRY

I just finished it, and wow. Amazing all round!
I’m now going to go recommend it to half a dozen people.

[quote=oxblood]I just finished it, and wow. Amazing all round!
I’m now going to go recommend it to half a dozen people.[/quote]

I’m smiling a bit too broadly on the train to work. :-) ← me irl.
Thank you! :)

I can’t seem to acquire a Mystery Cube. i also recall seeing an option for channel five on the television, but i never had the chance to take it, and now it shows only 1 3 and 7 - but that might be intentional since i think its basically hints?

If you DM me your character name I can have a look where you are, and give you a hint/check nothing’s broken. Otherwise - have you been to the tunnel recently?

Great game. Just finished it. Now completely and utterly confused as to what just happened.

Did I just travel back in time to save myself from suffocating as a child? Why is zombie/medium me stacking boxes? I feel like the narrative coherence just went the way of cotton candy in hot water all over the finish line.

edited by Scienceandponies on 11/17/2016
edited by Scienceandponies on 11/17/2016

I am chuckling. Sorry. There is a consistent theme, but I get how it might not have conveyed. I don’t want to talk too much about authorial intent, as we wanted to leave room for interpretations beyond the one we had in mind. Death of the author, an’ all that.

I’ll try to give thoughts without saying ‘this is what you should have got’ - as that alone highlights a failure of the authors, not the player.

[spoiler]There’s the literal sense - what you’re playing is simply what happens, is a place you are in. That is a primary meaning we wanted to allow for, even if it’s a fucking weird world that accelerates in weirdness. (Deliberate, may not have worked, but was something we wanted to try.) I hope that taking it this straightforwardly still made it enjoyable.

What we also wanted to incorporate is something Em touched on in her review: &quotit’s not so much about exactly what happened, but rather about how you orient yourself to those memories, about the process of discovery and reconciliation to trauma.&quot When horrid things happen to you, sometimes you make them worse via your coping mechanisms etc. So what’s happening is happening - but it’s filtered through your perceptions, how you judge them. This isn’t* happening ‘in your head’ - but it’s filtered by what has happened to you (as all life is, really - [that person is glaring at me/that person is daydreaming in my direction <– might be same expression]).

*isn’t necessarily in your head - if someone reads it that way, that’s OK, but we didn’t want the it’s a dream cop out. To me, it’s happening.[/spoiler]

Ungh. I explain bad. It’s hard to be clear AND cryptic. Happy to discuss in DM if it interests you, happy if you just want to back away with a ‘wtf that didn’t work’.
edited by babelfishwars on 11/17/2016

Finally got to sitting down and playing this. I say sitting, because I played it in one of those, because no way could I stop. Extraordinary. &quotHaunting&quot is too obvious, and too literal, but… it’s fascinating how A: English houses and gardens can be so similar to Australian houses and gardens, but just slightly different; B: reassuring cats and teddy bears and even spiders can be; C: what is clearly someone else’s trauma and guilt and fear can somehow also be my trauma and guilt and fear, as though a game were written for me; D: important friends are; E: the Pun-Foe’s mask can be torn away, revealing the Pun-Fiend.

If you DM me your character name I can have a look where you are, and give you a hint/check nothing’s broken. Otherwise - have you been to the tunnel recently?[/quote]

That did it, and I finished the game. For some reason I had assumed the tunnel existed purely to get to the cellar and hadn’t checked it. Very entertaining game, thank you!

If you DM me your character name I can have a look where you are, and give you a hint/check nothing’s broken. Otherwise - have you been to the tunnel recently?[/quote]

That did it, and I finished the game. For some reason I had assumed the tunnel existed purely to get to the cellar and hadn’t checked it. Very entertaining game, thank you![/quote]

Thank you. :) :) :)

I for one am a bit confused by the ending and would love to hear about the authorial intent. Even if I wasn’t confused, I would love to hear about it. I like seeing the making sausage part of creative writing. I would love to discuss this on PM.

I played through this a few days ago and overall liked it. The mechanics aren’t perfect, all that travelling back and forth can be a bit tiresome. Maybe give players a few more hints as to “where to find the next important item”? (especially those only found in menace areas - I looked ages for that doll’s head!) Though it’s also possible there were hints I didn’t get. But generally, it worked out for me.

About authorial intent: I’m generally almost never interested in that, thank you very much! As Olivia said, if a story only works in one prescribed very specific way, it usually doesn’t work at all - not for me at least. I’m happy with Lethophobia’s plot and ending!

Drop me a DM with what you think the ending may be about, and I’ll attempt to expound. It may not help…

I played this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I especially liked seeing how many spiders I could collect. Does this mean that I need to create a spider sending simulator? :) I will need to replay this to see the results of less charitable choices. Thanks for making this.

happy dances at you (I’m passing these onto @notmoro, btw)

I haven’t finished it yet, but I feel like I’m rather far along. It’s pretty nicely written, and the story’s intriguing enough to keep me going in spite of the repetitive &quotclick to move to the next room&quot mechanic.

It kind of reminds me of a certain HP Lovecraft story where a monster believes it’s a human until it meets actual humans and sees their shock. Pretty neat. :) But like I said, I haven’t finished yet, so maybe that feeling I’m getting is misleading.

Good job!

I’m progressing slowly, but I love it so far!

Lovely writing and atmosphere, and the mechanics are an interesting take on the Story Nexus interface.

And I absolutely adore Dinsdale (even if the poor hedgehog doesn’t get the reference itself :-))

I’m really enjoying this game so far! I have to confess that I’m stuck trying to find the doll’s head/diary. I’ve searched everywhere I can find, including the hideout, but no dice so far. Do you mind telling me what I’m missing?
Thank you!

I’m really interested and enjoying the game. Love Le Petit Prince reference. Told me exactly what to do.
edited by jamilah on 12/24/2016