June Exceptional Story: Five Minutes to Midday

[color=#ff00cc]The Exceptional Story for June is here.[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]Five Minutes to Midday: being the story of a man with a bomb, his political vendetta, and no small number of goats.[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]Change takes time. Ever since he set foot back in London, he has fought to end the injustice he suffered. The press may be mute, the public may be deaf, and the devils may be cruel - but change will come.[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]Any minute now.[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]Play An Exceptional Story: Thunder and Hell! to begin, available throughout London.[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]Five Minutes to Midday was written by Cash DeCuir. Editing, QA and special thanks: Heather McLellan, Chris Gardiner, James Chew and Olivia Wood.[/color]
[color=#ff00cc]Art by Saskia Otten. Check out her website here: [/color][color=#ff00cc]http://chrispistols.com/[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]EXCEPTIONAL FRIENDSHIP[/color]

[color=#ff00cc]In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:[/color]

• [color=#ff00cc]Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private member’s club on the Stolen River, packed with content[/color][/li][li][color=#ff00cc]An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six![/color][/li][li][color=#ff00cc]A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once![/color]

[color=rgb(255, 0, 204)]This is the first story in the Revolutions season. Finishing the stories in this season will make you eligible for an additional opportunity, to follow.[/color]

[ul][/ul][color=#ff00cc]If you want to keep an Exceptional Story beyond the month it’s for, you must complete the related storylet in the House of Chimes. This will save it for you to return to another time.[/color]
edited by Cash DeCuir on 5/26/2016
edited by babelfishwars on 6/24/2016

Is this story the beginning of a new three-story season or standalone?

Anyone else getting the bug where if you enter The Brass Embassy you get 10 cards in your deck?
edited by Hagerboy on 5/26/2016

Ok, it’s the Revolution seasons. It does say that at the top but the paragraph breaks make it hard to see.

I’ve only just started playing but my first (and intermitently persistent) gripe with some ES is again relevant here. Please, have a warning once the story goes into a sequence of Must Urgency storylets. I am not always able to play the whole story or a major chunk through in one sitting.

[quote=Hagerboy]Anyone else getting the bug where if you enter The Brass Embassy you get 10 cards in your deck?
edited by Hagerboy on 5/26/2016[/quote]

Yep, not the worst glitch all things considered.

[quote=Hagerboy]Anyone else getting the bug where if you enter The Brass Embassy you get 10 cards in your deck?
edited by Hagerboy on 5/26/2016[/quote]

Apparently it’s not a bug. Zailing works in the same way, and we already asked support about that case. They replied it’s fine.

Are we not supposed to get a nice extra short bit for the last three storoes? But liking this so far.

also, can someone send me what rewards are at the end and how it affects things? I very much have a desre to blow some devils to kingdom come, but I also take some lodgeings there and I dount I would be popular if caught.
edited by Kylestien on 5/26/2016

Honestly I’m starting to think even Failbetter is having trouble coming up with a use for the items.
(I kid)

As a player whose character bears particular malice for the target of the bomber’s vendetta, I was glad to have content that explored those interests.

However, I really wish there was more information regarding the immediate consequences of ending the story when I made a choice that endangered the lives of innocents and no further mention was made of them afterwards.
edited by Art Shrival on 5/26/2016

[quote=Robin Mask][quote=Kylestien]also, can someone send me what rewards are at the end and how it affects things? I very much have a desre to blow some devils to kingdom come, but I also take some lodgeings there and I dount I would be popular if caught.
edited by Kylestien on 5/26/2016[/quote]

Unless someone has much better luck than me, it may take a long while . . .

I thought there was just one opportunity card to wait for, but it seems like there’s three. I got a really lousy item, if that was the final one, but it took 10 from some quality or other, leaving me with 20 . . . so I have to wait for the same card to appear twice more, in an already full deck, and so I am less than amused. It peeves me off no end when EF stories make use of opportunity cards, let alone when the epilogue relies on three.

If I get a card to rate this story, I’m tempted to knock a point off for such an infuriating feature.[/quote]

Hm, my route didn’t require waiting for any opportunity cards at all, although it has an outcome that affects one of them after the story.

I know who supplied the device in question by the way if anyone is curious.

Take three guesses. Go on. Guess.

edited by Kylestien on 5/26/2016

[quote=Robin Mask]
Really? Mine told me explicitly to wait for the Docks card - had a new option, gave me a pretty lousy ‘reward’, took off the quality as I said, and the implication seemed to be that there’d be another two to wait for (due to the quality remaining, but said quality being tied specifically to the story itself and not one that applies anywhere else in FL).

Would it be okay to ask what route you took? To me it felt like the game railroaded me into one option, despite what I chose and how those choices had nothing to do with the path I was put on :-S I didn’t think other routes existed.[/quote]

No problem! I sent you a PM with a few details about my route.

I really thought I’d have more than one chance to go to the devils. In the middle of the Brass Embassy. This choice is a bit harder than it should be now.

I would also appreciate a PM about that route.
It’s a season quality this time, not an item. Nice.

edited by suinicide on 5/26/2016

I was not surprised as to who nudged the man off to go bomb the place, not in the slightest, but I did enjoy the story, albeit it being a bit light on content.

[quote=suinicide]I would also appreciate a PM about that route.
(Also I can’t find the season item with this story. Any help there?)
edited by suinicide on 5/26/2016[/quote]

Sent.

Has anyone yet recorded what happens when you admire the explosion on the beginning storylet “Thunder and Hell!”?

25 Romantic Notion, Hedonist Boost, Austere Drop.

If only the Protester’d turn around and face the camera. Daaaaaaaaaaaaaa-yum.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 5/26/2016

I’m wondering, does going through with the plan delete your Connected: Hell?

You should get the opportunity to carouse and converse after preparations are complete

edited by Stygota on 5/26/2016