July Excpt Story: We Absolutely Meant to Go to Zee

I wondered what would happen if one let Troubled Waters reach 8. Apparently… nothing. Nor at 9.

Did anybody happen to echo the Panic option? I would have liked to have chosen it if it weren’t completely out of character.
edited by Dagforth on 6/29/2021

[quote=Dagforth]I wondered what would happen if one let Troubled Waters reach 8. Apparently… nothing. Nor at 9.

Did anybody happen to echo the Panic option? I would have liked to have chosen it if it weren’t completely out of character.
edited by Dagforth on 6/29/2021[/quote]

Well that’s mildly disappointing. And seconded on the panic request - it was so tempting.

[quote=Dagforth]I wondered what would happen if one let Troubled Waters reach 8. Apparently… nothing. Nor at 9.

edited by Dagforth on 6/29/2021[/quote]
My Troubled Waters didn’t reach 8 in the ES, but it did on a different voyage using Zeefarer. What happened is

I had a choice between two storylets. Unfortunately, I don’t recall the text of the one I chose, but I ended up in the Mirror-Marches, and after I managed to return to my Lodgings I needed to go back to Wolfstack to clear things up with my crew after I ‘vanished’ off the ship. My guess is that the other storylet would have taken me to the slow boat.

edited by Catherine Raymond on 7/1/2021

Having played Sunless Seas, I’m really loving the new Zee content, especially this look at Gaider’s Mourn. Also appreciate the nods to various companions I inexplicably always have about my person, including on a tiny boat.

If I am an Exceptional Friend, how long do I have to get to the current Exceptional story before it goes away? I ask because it looks from the game instructions like you can’t start this one and then finish it later. It does go away, right? My memory has been awful lately.

They changed that - it’s unlocked permanently now, so no rush to start it!

[quote=Wylte][quote=Dagforth]I wondered what would happen if one let Troubled Waters reach 8. Apparently… nothing. Nor at 9.

Did anybody happen to echo the Panic option? I would have liked to have chosen it if it weren’t completely out of character.[/quote]

Well that’s mildly disappointing. And seconded on the panic request - it was so tempting.[/quote]
Echo for Panic!: Fallen London

Mechanically, it sets your Troubled Waters to 8 and puts you into the next Storylet. I had actually assumed that the ensuing events were auto-fired at Troubled Waters 8, but it seems that was just an illusion.

Did anyone notice if the children’s affection or trust had any effect in the story?

I’m certain that I purchased something called “Enough Fish” while I was at the Mourn, but I don’t remember it being used for anything, and I don’t seem to have it now that the story is finished. I didn’t imagine that, right? What was it?

It’s a quality that tracks how many times you’ve gone to the fish market at Gaider’s Mourn, and prevents you from continuing to grind it ad infinitum. (I think the market gave deep-zee catches?)
edited by hwoosh on 7/12/2021

I don’t recall anything ever saying I would need to go to that fish market, I just bought something because I could. Deep-zee catches? That makes sense, since I have so many of them from the Magistracy, I definitely wouldn’t have noticed if I gained or lost a few.

This story was absolutely adorable and I loved it. It was a true pleasure to play.

Can I play this ES just as well without having started the new Zeefaring yet? I’m so behind, still finishing the Railway…

Yes, definitely! It’s mechanically self-contained.

[quote=Diptych]Yes, definitely! It’s mechanically self-contained.[/quote] Thanks very much! :)

ETA: That was very enjoyable! FB write fictional children so well, it’s delightful to see the story unfold partly through their eyes. I thought that for The Chimney Pot Wars and Hojotoho! too, no doubt others that I’m forgetting as well. As Notawalrus noted, the events are fairly dark, but because the children are so intent on their adventure, I find the lighter tone does suit the story.

Re the mechanics, I was quite glad of the opportunity to change my mind before the end if needed, although I did find the signposting quite straightforward to keep the family together in a life of piracy, which was my goal. Had a moment’s regret for Cat the budding scientist but on second thought - run far and fast from academia, Cat! Be a pirate-scholar on the high Zee! :)
edited by theonie on 8/10/2021

I only wish I could have hunted down that steamer captain from the start of the story to give him his just deserts.

Canonically I was on a romantic day-trip, and my spouse is the Devout Intriguer, so I think it’s likely that the steamer captain didn’t make it back to London after his betrayal anyway.