But now I don’t know what to do! Not in a general sense, but in the sense that I don’t know if I should purchase a better engine first (the best one right away, or buy a mid-tier one, then upgrade later), or a better ship (I have the default one, and I know which one I want to get, first, at least.)
I’m a ways off from purchasing any large purchase like that for a little while, at least, I have 2k at this moment. I’m making decent profits, I’m just not sure as to how I should move forward when I do have the full funds.
[quote=lady ciel ]Have you got a house yet? If not buy that first so that you can write a will and raise a scion. As that will benefit future captains.
Then I would go for a ship with more hold capacity. The quest for the Heart is worthwhile as you can then swap it for any other ship.
Following the Magician’s quest can give access to a fairly decent engine at a reasonable price.[/quote]
I have gotten the house, and a child, and made an ironclad will. The child isn’t a scion yet (a bug that made it so I didn’t get a free evening + I needed better trades in the roser’s market on the next one), but soon, I think.
I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about with the heart :P
I haven’t gotten the magician yet, but thanks! (I keep not having much money when I see him, and london keeps giving me the sigil navigator, so I just got him this time. I have so many officers.)
One of the Officers you can recruit is the Cladery Heir. If you follow that story you can end up getting the Cladery Heart which is a ship.
Getting the magician can be frustrating as he is only available in London (like the Cladery Heir and Brisk Campaigner). Other Officers can be found elsewhere in the game, often cheaper than they can be recruited in London.
Ah, ok. The Cladery Heir is going to be difficult… I’m dead stopped after giving her the strange catch. Live specimen? Yep, never seen one before.
And as long as 1 officer is ensured in london, I can get him next time. I’m pretty sure I legitimately have every single officer that is available in london besides him. …except the brisk campaigner, who I’ve never heard of.
It’s always worthwile purchasing the merchant frigate if you haven’t gotten it yet. Whether it’s running sphinxstone or making repeat journeys into the Wisp-Ways, the frigate’s awesome storage capacity is always useful.
I’m not so sure the frigate would be worthwhile. Ignoring the fact that I’m nowhere near able to purchase it and am using the basic engine, I have already made 3 or 4 deliveries of sphinx stone, so I’m fairly certain I can only do a few more.
Aaaand I have also never heard of the wisp-ways.
Yes, I have very little I’ve discovered in the world of the sunless sea. This is my best run, remember.
To show you all what I DO know, Let me make a quick picture post… This is everything I know in the game. Period. I have not seen anything beyond what is here, realistically.
You’ve got plenty left to do then! Working your way eastward should definetly be up next on your to-do list. As for upgrading your ship; the corvette is a safe bet. Getting any better engines isn’t strictly necessary since the steeple-engine is the most fuel-efficient (if not the most supply-efficient if you’ve got a lot of crew). Try to balance your engine with the sort of ship you have, and you’ll be fine.
Yeah don’t upgrade your engine until you upgrade your ship, it’ll just eat fuel. The Cladery Heart is one of the best ships in my opinion with a decent hull, 80 hold and good stat upgrades, you can buy a live specimen at the Labyrinth of Tigers in London for 500 echoes
Depending on how long time has passed you might be able to trade a Strange Catch for a Live Specimen at the Uttershroom. You can buy those in Irem or Hideaway for just 25 Echoes, so it’s a relatively cheap way of acquiring one.
You’re right, I could buy a live specimen at the Labyrinth of Tigers…if it existed in this playthrough. It doesn’t, so…[/quote]
Unfortunately, that only opens when you’ve had a captain die.
Besides the Uttershroom, there’s a couple random events you can get in various locations that give Specimens. Gaider’s Mourn, Mutton Island, and Whither have the Contest of Riddles, where successfully answering a Riddle of Pearl for 100 echoes will net you one. At Mount Palmerston, Port Cecil, and Demaux Island you can encounter A Shadowy Predator which can be captured alive for one. You can also hunt Behemoustaches and cut them open for a 5% chance of a Specimen (and a 95% chance of other things you might find useful).