Item Conversion Calculator

@John Savage: Sorry, never heard of this issue.

Let’s see if we can find out what the reason is:

• Do you need admin rights to run the calculator (that definitely isn’t necessary!) or to install the redistributable package (that is necessary).
  • Did you maybe install the wrong redistributable package? You need to install vcredist_x86.exe even if you have a 64-bit Windows (because it’s an 32-bit application
  • When you try to open the programme, a console window should also open in the background. Do you see any error message there?
  • Do you see any other error message?
  • Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit windows? (It shouldn’t matter, but who knows).

Hey rahv7, after downloading the zip-file my anti-virus (360 Total Security) screams Trojan alert &quotHEUR/QVM10.1.Malware.Gen&quot
It’s probably a false alarm but I thought I’d let you know…?

Thanks for letting me know. I have no idea where this is coming from.
I just tried downloaded/extracting/running it on my system and neither Security Essentials nor Avira reacted in any way.

Does it say which file contains a virus? If it’s the executable, I could try to do some minor changes so checksums and such would change when I recompile it.

Yes, it was the exe.

No further alarms after I de-quarantined it. Calculator’s running fine, thank you! :)

In case it helps you, I’m running Win 10 64-bit. The original alarm occurred when I tried opening the zip-file &quotdirectly&quot, right-click and extract with 7-zip didn’t trigger an alarm.
edited by Amélie Vaincœur on 11/25/2015

[quote=rahv7]@John Savage: Sorry, never heard of this issue.

Let’s see if we can find out what the reason is:

• Do you need admin rights to run the calculator (that definitely isn’t necessary!) or to install the redistributable package (that is necessary).
  • Did you maybe install the wrong redistributable package? You need to install vcredist_x86.exe even if you have a 64-bit Windows (because it’s an 32-bit application
  • When you try to open the programme, a console window should also open in the background. Do you see any error message there?
  • Do you see any other error message?
  • Do you have 32-bit or 64-bit windows? (It shouldn’t matter, but who knows).[/quote]

Running 64 bit Windows 8.1 (I think)…

I needed admin to run the calculator, yes… I just did a &quotrepair (?))&quot of my redistributable package… but I still can’t run it… permanent working cursor… going to need to re-boot again… lovely… I hate Bill Gates… I have mentioned that, yes?

@John Savage: Win 8.1 is SHIT, upgrade to 10 asap. Seriously. Even if you have an older machine, it’ll run a lot better with 10!
edited by Amélie Vaincœur on 11/25/2015

[quote=Amélie Vaincœur]@John Savage: Win 8.1 is SHIT, upgrade to 10 asap. Seriously. Even if you have an older machine, it’ll run a lot better with 10!
edited by Amélie Vaincœur on 11/25/2015[/quote]

no one I know likes 10… they all call it a virus in itself… except my friends who work for Microsoft of course…

EDIT: Me, personally… until they bring back 3.1 I will never like Windows… &quotupgrading&quot was the worst move I ever made on my old system
edited by John Savage on 11/25/2015

[quote=John Savage][quote=Amélie Vaincœur]@John Savage: Win 8.1 is SHIT, upgrade to 10 asap. Seriously. Even if you have an older machine, it’ll run a lot better with 10!
edited by Amélie Vaincœur on 11/25/2015[/quote]

no one I know likes 10… they all call it a virus in itself… except my friends who work for Microsoft of course…

EDIT: Me, personally… until they bring back 3.1 I will never like Windows… &quotupgrading&quot was the worst move I ever made on my old system
edited by John Savage on 11/25/2015[/quote]
10 is buggier, but generally better, than 8.1. now, 10 is what you get if you poorly combine 7 & 8, so if you love 8, don’t upgrade, if you love 7, don’t upgrade.

10 is a decent windows, and they’re still updating it. I’m not upgrading, but i’ve used 10- it’s really not that bad.

Very useful… I thank you.

[b]@John Savage: I’ve ran the programme on windows 8 system at work and everything was fine. I can only imagine that it is some weird conflict between my programme and other programmes/drivers/services you are running. Sorry.

@Amélie: If everything is working for you now I won’t change anything. In addition to Avira and Security Essentials, I also tested it with Spybot and with McAfee Antivius and none of those complain on any of the machines I’ve tested this on.

[/b]