It had to be rats.

Currently caught into an epic struggle with the Rattus Fiber, i couldn’t be helped but notice that they are no simple feral beasts, quite the opposite. And despite my current quarrels with the furry (monsters) critters, and despite the fact that some of their… demeanors, including cracker snatching and slaver, i want to know more about those sentient beings.

So… Could you be kind to pinpoint to me where i could gather some whereabouts of those neathian rats?

Other than your current storylet, two stories involving rats stick out to me: the Exceptional Story “The Rat-Catcher” and “Seeking the Meaning of the Plaster Face”. The former involves the Department of Menace of Eradication, a sort of bounty-hunter / pest control / monster hunter group that takes a peculiar interest in creatures such as rats, while the Department deals with a peculiar influx of slain rats sent in for payment. In the latter story, the main plot focuses on the something akin to organized society for rats and the struggles of power that keep their order in place; whether you wish to reform or take part in this underbelly is up to you. If you’re willing to ingrain yourself in Sunless Sea, there’s a storyline involving the land of Pigmote Isle, in which a republic of rat engineers and knightly guinea pigs fight for dominance over the Isle and look to you for guidance.

For a short and incomplete summary on the species: L.B.s (short for “little bastards”) are sentient variants of the average rat, both of which reside in the Neath. Viewed by some as menaces demanding extermination and others as worthy of life as any other sentient creature, they are renowned engineers and excellent thieves, both most likely due in part to their small stature and quick reflexes. Though sapient beings, they are often outcast from the general public and regard themselves as common rats that may very well live among one another as a single unit. While hunted along with their regular cousins by the Department of Menace and infested house owners alike, they are popular for their weapon-making due to its impeccable nature. They are also known for being companions to more open-minded Londoners, as well as partners to the Relickers for their gathering skills to implement in scrap recovery. Overall, if you see a L.B., they are most likely part of underground thievery, an engineer, a member of a local rat gang or pack, the Scuttering Squad mercenary company (a rat-only merc group available for hire in the Redemptions tag on the Bazaar tab), or rogue individuals living out on their own or with human friends.

And that’s not even mentioning the guinea pigs, who, to sum it up, are basically feudal knight cosplayers gone rogue and living out their lives as their own faction of honorable warriors.

The Factory of Favours ES is another story involving Rats. They are not nearly as prominent as in The Rat-Catcher but they do play a role.

Huh. I did thought there would be a rat society of sort that would hide beside us, at least to an extend, but it seems that it is more complex that i would’ve bargain for. Thank you kindly for your answers.

It’s decently complex, but limited in its interactions with your average person.

This card has some Rattus Faber funerary stuff.

There’s a short arc that can only happen if you have all of the purchaseable rat companions before you start Seeking the Meaning of the Plaster Face.

There’s one or two cards that only appear when you have certain companions, but they aren’t particularly good ones, IIRC.

[quote=Jaina ]It’s decently complex, but limited in its interactions with your average person.

This card has some Rattus Faber funerary stuff.

There’s a short arc that can only happen if you have all of the purchaseable rat companions before you start Seeking the Meaning of the Plaster Face.

There’s one or two cards that only appear when you have certain companions, but they aren’t particularly good ones, IIRC.[/quote]

I’ve gotten this card once, but i didn’t tilted at what it was referring to. I 'spose i should be more considerate next time.

As for the companions, they don’t look so stellar, but i have time to reflect whenever i would be willing to dwell into it or not, given that i don’t have the requirements for Seeking the Meaning of the Plaster Face.

Plus, rats are famous for their craftsmanship (hence the species name faber, or smith). They make derringers (very tiny), watches and in one case, a velocipede with a Gatling gun. Also, some make Rats of Glory, which are only occasionally used to rob people.

L.B.s are known to hold funeral services (I forget the card this shows up on). Also, you can fight them to acquire a Formidable Basalt Gymnasium when you become a POSI. Additional gleanings can be found here: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Sidebar_Snippets

The card can be drawn in Watchmaker Hill, of one wants to see more of the rats’ ways.