Island Concept: Nautilus - with hand drawn art

This is a proposal for an island, it is free for use in Sunless Sea, I do not grant permission for it to be used elsewhere without my consent. Thank you.

Story concepts/options for exploring/proceeding:

Upon first approaching Nautilus, you were unsure this is an isle at all. There is a deep thrumming, like that of a thousand thundering zeez. Strikingly the port is completely mechanical in nature with a sharp crescent maw for mooring. Hesitant to enter the dock, any thoughts of leaving were cancelled when the crescent automatically embraced your ship from wake and wave.

The paths here branch out in dizzying Fibonacci spirals, succulent to the soul, maddening to the mind. Intriguingly, no one is around, yet the gardens are meticulously kept; a balance of jigsawed machined plates and organic life woven upon rock and metal.

Following the primary path brings you to the eyelid of the serendipitous shell’s inner city. Clearly some great work is at hand as you peer over glass houses shaped of zee zhells against ivory walls spiraling upwards toward a single glass pane shaded with a heavenly thought. You decidedly press on to the top completely possessed by awe, the window has captivated you and your intentions to capture its dream. Finally reaching it, your eye beholds not only the endless abyss of false stars and shadowed lavender, but this? A stairway to nowhere…

Perhaps it is under construction, or incomplete… or, no, a symbolic construct you wonder. Foot prints gleam in the extravagant light leading up the top of the staircase, but none return back down. How mysterious.

In bewilderment and in beautiful frustration you are driven to hurry quickly back down the spiral steps, which now from above you, eyes can see make a perfect spiral. A spiral with no end in it’s descent, it would frighteningly appear!

Peering further using the magnification of a nearby mollusc shaped house, you see rows and rows of fantastical roses all forming the descending spiral in a myriad of colors and paths. It appears one primary path is among them.

Attempt to follow the primary path:

As you try to proceed further, it becomes something else, the only thing comparable would be to suggest you are in a giant kaleidoscope! This may very well be a fractal of heaven and hell, despite the thought your unanswered questions of this place force you to carry on deeper.

Boldy and dangerously hungry for answers you plunge deeper down where you finally glint at some small tangible light at the core of this rosy mayhem.

Investigating it reveals to you that should you proceed you may very well become one with this place forever, but a silent drumming here at the source, you think it’s the source, pulsates a begging plea to look up, to question your existence, to…suddenly the entire zhell begins to quake. Your crew are yelling from above for you to return. Looking up you see a peacock sky, little zailors running away…

You manage to snap out of it. At your feet, you realize your standing on the edge of a cliff, and below is hell itself! You dash backwards and up the spiral as a glass houses shatter and dance to pieces above you, glittering into gently tornadoes of dust. Successfully reaching the eyelid you collapse.

You awake on the ship to learn the crew had carried you back. Were you hypnotized? Did you lose the primary path? Perhaps your mad quest for knowledge drove you to the brink of hallucination. All you know is you must return someday.

Attempt to follow the primary path:

As you try to proceed further, the illusion fades and you recognize a microcosmic pattern. The very neath itself is pictured in this spiral!

It will take many supplies, but you’ve charted the route to the center, or what you think may be the core of the spiral. Perhaps yet you will know it’s secrets.

(Undeveloped story line…intent is to reveal a single character named Captain Nemo who reveals with trust, his ‘base’ on the isle providing rewards and of course the Nautilus submarine! Yes, yes, high high hopes.)

While a subtle homage to such famous works as “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” may be very fitting for Sunless Sea, anything too closely resembling it may cause copyright issues. Also, both of your options are called “Attempt to Follow the Primary Path” and you may have meant to indicate a secondary. Still enjoy reading these, though.

You guessed it… and Jerne Vules just doesn’t work.

About the &quotAttempt to Follower the Primary Path&quot…it’s the option that pops up each time you port up. To succeed in finding the character the player would need to visit for the port multiply times, perhaps use candles, etc.

You guessed it… and Jerne Vules just doesn’t work.

About the &quotAttempt to Follower the Primary Path&quot…it’s the option that pops up each time you port up. To succeed in finding the character the player would need to visit for the port multiply times, perhaps use candles, etc.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Still – it’s an impressive effort. I just know there are a lot of legal issues with directly incorporating famous characters from literature into a published work.
Still got a kick out of reading your storylet, though.

[li]

You might find this an interesting read. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twenty-Trillion-Leagues-Under-Sea/dp/0575134429 Beware, it’s Adam Roberts, contains puns.

That actually looks really cool. Almost a Journey to the Center of the Earth type…sort of, first impression anyway.

Do FBG even take suggestions of that nature? I know that one of the Kickstarter rewards was creating an island together with them but I don’t think that there’s much interest (let alone need) for fan-submitted content in general. From what I understand the writing is the easiest (least time-consuming) part of the development process anyway. Coding, drawing, testing etc. seems to take up the bulk of the resources.

Jules Vernes has been dead for over a hundred years, son :|

[quote=Demut]
Jules Vernes has been dead for over a hundred years, son :|[/quote]

Sometimes that doesn’t matter. It depends on whether or not the work is public domain.
edited by SouthSea Rutherby on 10/30/2014

20TL Is in fact public domain.

If that’s the case, they can reference anything from the actual book, as long as they don’t take anything visually created by one of the film companies (i.e. you can’t take the submarine directly from the Disney movie, but you can create your own visualization, etc).
I still enjoyed reading the OP’s storylet. Not sure what the devs are planning, though.

[li]