Is the world reset when you continue your game?

With a descendant? The game is largely story driven I am told, do the story events reset with descending captains? That wouldn’t make much sense, so i’m hoping it’s not the case.

Yes, the world is reset. I’m glad it is - otherwise, your subsequent captains might not have any stories to play!

So characters that died come back to life? Events all revert as if they never happened? It’s like your descendant travels through time bringing with him whatever you chose as your legacy?

Well, yes and no. If a character dies on Aug 5, 1890, that’s where the next character’s game starts. Of course, there’s a certain amount of repetition, but that’s the only way to really learn how to play the game - learn from the mistakes that got you killed in the first place. Also, the islands of the Unterzee shift position with each new game and have to be rediscovered. In the end, there’s enough content in there to make each character’s game unique.
Regarding continuity, I think this is one of the reasons the people you meet in FL/SS don’t have names: who’s to say it’s the same Merchant Venturer, the same Tireless Mechanic etc.?

I haven’t played for a while (only recently reinstalled Sunless Sea after losing things to a hard drive failure a while back) so I can’t remember the specifics, but:

One of the Legacy options allows you to retain your map, if you so choose. I can’t remember what the prerequisites are, but you should be able to see it onscreen after your first captain dies - along with the other Legacy stuff.

[quote=Kittenpox]I haven’t played for a while (only recently reinstalled Sunless Sea after losing things to a hard drive failure a while back) so I can’t remember the specifics, but:

One of the Legacy options allows you to retain your map, if you so choose. I can’t remember what the prerequisites are, but you should be able to see it onscreen after your first captain dies - along with the other Legacy stuff.[/quote]

One of the Warrants of Redemption is &quotCorrespondent,&quot where you inherit 50% of the old Captain’s Pages and the map stays the same. That being said, the stories still reset. The trouble with already having a charted map is that you are severely limited in the number of Secrets you can build with Fragments.