Is selling my soul a huge mistake?

In-game, I mean. ;) I followed the ‘Intimate of Hell’ plot to its conclusion and got my soul nicked, but not only was there no sort of followup, it seems like some old storylets have quietly gone away. Specifically, I haven’t seen the ‘Hell’ faction card, which means I can’t change my ‘closest to’, as it’s currently Hell. I haven’t seen any opportunities to use ‘closest to Hell’ for anything. And I haven’t seen the card that gives me an opportunity to get my soul back. Did I just lock myself out of a bunch of content?

The Hell faction card will turn up eventually, as will the card that lets you spend Fate to retrieve your soul. Don’t worry, you haven’t locked yourself out of a bunch of content.

Um… I think the Hell faction card is a coincidence, faction cards to tend to have dry periods, like, i haven’t drawn any tomb-colonists this week, and the get your soul back card is just rarer than most.
Souls can be useful, but usually aren’t, and you can, with luck, get them back through surprise packages or some other bundles of oddities.
Nevertheless, i do believe, from the inuniverse perspective, you got scammed- whatever the devils will pay for your soul, it’s probably worth more than that.
That said, they’re the only ones buying it, so if you want it sold, they’re the best people to try with.
that said, you’ll never see the intimate of devils storyline again, even if you get your soul back, so you will miss out on a bit of content, i guess- if you haven’t seen it all already.
edited by Grenem on 3/7/2015
edited by Grenem on 3/8/2015

Sold mine ages ago, haven’t regretted it.

Two advantages of being without a soul are the you-have-no-soul-what-are-you-going-to-do-about-it card, which I found useful for Nightmare reduction, and the Capering Relicker card from which you can collect some very nice items.

That said, I felt so cheated by what I was paid for my soul that I set about regaining it just as a matter of principle.

If you plan on an academic career, the more respectable types at the University are decidedly unwelcoming, and rightfully so in my opinion, of the soulless.

You are free to value you soul as you wish, but it seems the height of foolishness to surrender any part of one’s self to the same devils who run the grand hunt, who traffick in red honey, who…really, must I go on?

[quote=Dom_Delouise]If you plan on an academic career, the more respectable types at the University are decidedly unwelcoming, and rightfully so in my opinion, of the soulless.

You are free to value you soul as you wish, but it seems the height of foolishness to surrender any part of one’s self to the same devils who run the grand hunt, who traffick in red honey, who…really, must I go on?[/quote]
Yes, you must go on. It seems every bit as foolish to trust your safety to the bazaar and the masters- who bargain with devils, who kills lovers on the surface to draw their mates below, and will, one day, drown those below in lacre again. it seems every bit as foolish to offer allegiance to your fellow man- not when there are those who would make a god to rule this realm, who kill for sport, who preach while hiding snuffers, who are tyrants but claim to bow to the masters. it seems just as foolish to hold a judgement spore to your chest, and call it part of yourself, you who are an outlaw of the judgements.
If you are here at all, you are a fool. selling your soul is no more unwise than anything else you may do here, unless you seek the name.
Nothing is more foolish than that/
edited by Grenem on 3/9/2015

Selling your soul has the main benefit of unlocking many stories relating to hell such as getting the sanctum at the brass embassy lodgings, these stories are normally only useful if one of your main connections is hell though. Selling your soul has one downside which only occurs if you’re seeking the name. However there are also no other benefits. If you do regret your decision there are still ways to get your soul back including opening a bundle of oddities etc.

Irrigo has never felt Worse: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Turtwigii

edited by Turtwigii on 3/9/2015

I… wasn’t even realize there are benefits and downfalls of giving up my soul… beside that one soulless card… which I consider rarely comes out.

I don’t know cappering relicker needs me to be soulless to appear… it doesn’t says so. Not seeing the academic misopportunity either but I already kicked out (in progress to get back to it)

I’m kind of wish that soul/souless have more impact… maybe more on how the story told than benefit in cards. Maybe the soulless should be less passionate in feast of the rose and intimate relationships? or something…? Tho that goes to another ‘theory’, what does soul/souless take from someone… But I remember the soulless seems ‘hollow’ on the parties, why… my character doesn’t go that way?

A Gift from the Capering Relicker has an option that unlocks when you’re soulless, but neither of his cards require you to sell your soul to draw them.

The Capering Relicker card will appear whether or not you’re soulless, but if you are, you get the option to get Souls and Infernal Contracts from him instead of Primordial Shrieks (non-PoSI) or Visions of the Surface (PoSI).

[quote=rosedragon]I… wasn’t even realize there are benefits and downfalls of giving up my soul… beside that one soulless card… which I consider rarely comes out.

I don’t know cappering relicker needs me to be soulless to appear… it doesn’t says so. Not seeing the academic misopportunity either but I already kicked out (in progress to get back to it)

I’m kind of wish that soul/souless have more impact… maybe more on how the story told than benefit in cards. Maybe the soulless should be less passionate in feast of the rose and intimate relationships? or something…? Tho that goes to another ‘theory’, what does soul/souless take from someone… But I remember the soulless seems ‘hollow’ on the parties, why… my character doesn’t go that way?[/quote]
headcannon below. take with two cups salt saturated water.
My impression of the soulless was as follows, from what few encounters I’ve had, including a few i missed: soullessness’ only consistent symptoms are a lack of a soul. some slump, some fall further into immorality, some become depressed, some pretend they are fine, some actually are fine. emotions are dulled for some, others feel them more, others forget what one feels like- calm, happiness, apathy, lust, sleepiness. the problem is, in my opinion, it’s hard to find soulless, as they are viewed with distain, suspicion, or obnoxious ‘sympathy’. the only soulless you see, therefore, are the ones that have more obvious side-effects, or are unwilling to sell their soul. some of these side effects may even be imagined, and only felt because they expect to feel it.
The costs are variable and unpredictable, but there are no certain costs, unless you do something to ruin the sold soul. If you do, well, now you have the forces of hell after you: they will feel cheated, cheating devils is not a good idea. it is one of the most foolish things you can do- more so because you need to be doing something even more idiotic to do this, seeking them name.
The soul, as near as i can tell, is only of tangential use in life, and if it has more use in death- well, we don’t know that. The devils want it, so it must have value somewhere, but then, you probably don’t have direct use for rats on strings, either, and they have value- for all we know, souls are the same way, useless to most people. it would explain why you can buy some at, like, 25 to an echo. they probably have different value based on their traits, though- and neathy souls seem, generally, more valuable.
For all fallen london’s normal citizens really know, the only side effect of selling your soul is that you lose a symbiotic connection with a ghost tree that is born with every human, and different people have different effects from the loss. we don’t even know what the church says about it- since they’re so polite about hell, they may even be fine with soul-sales, though that seems unlikely.
edited by Grenem on 3/9/2015

Being soulless is not a big deal. Summerset doesn’t like you much. But they are pretentious snobs anyway. You haven’t got a soul to stain (to seek the name). But that stuff is bad for you (and is currently closed) anyway.

If you are looking for profit, selling your soul won’t get you much, even if you are a PoSI. I sold mine early on because I was infatuated with a devil.
If you want your soul back, joining the urchin games doesn’t cost fate, just patience. I got mine back that way. Took about 2-3 weeks.
edited by Mirrorhouse on 3/12/2015

You can’t get you soul back from fishing with the urchins any more, it’s become a little rarer. And you can sell it for a lot of money if you’ve paid for the soul-trade storylines.