Irrefutable Proof

[quote=incerteza][quote=Anne Auclair]So what were the potential patterns broken this year?

The candidate with a Name lost for the first time.

The candidate with Infernal support lost for the first time.

The candidates who were obviously evil/self-interested lost for the first time.[/quote]
Amazingly, all patterns, mentioned in this thread, have been broken. The ones you didn’t list were:

• an interesting candidate
  • the most outrageous candidate
  • someone with two of the same letter in their name
  • the sinful
  • an authority (~ a direct leader) of an organization already
  • agents of foreign powers running under false identities
  • the less represented gender
  • explicit Revolutionary connections = defeat[/quote]

… Er, no, not all patterns. The one I mentioned wasn’t.

>:/

Putting aside that self-interested and evil are vague terms that can be anywhere from synonymous to worlds apart, I think both mayors are a bit more complex than that. Sinning Jenny, while indulgent as all hell and a scandalous manipulator (she’s a hedonist-motivated madam that works for the Masters, what did you expect), seems to genuinely care about the well-being of the people and those who brought into hard times by birth or unfortunate circumstance. She even attempted to sever ties with Wines in an effort to cut off their influence from her school for the unfortunate, losing potential support for her cause and possibly tarnishing her favor with the Masters. And Feducci, well…look, he wasn’t my first choice, not even my second. I didn’t vote for the man, and the fact that he got into office was as much a laugh as it was infuriating. But all things considered, past his lavish boredom and flippant murder of duelists (granted, they agreed to a duel to the death, but being immortal does mean you’re risking a hell of a lot less), I think he actually cares about something greater. Part of the plans for his platform promoted seeking immortality for all, with the phrase, &quotLIBERTY. EQUALITY. ETERNITY.&quot, a quote commonly shared between hunters of the Mountain of Light, being listen in his notes. The duelist-skewering bastard himself, off all people, seemed excited by the prospect of securing a road to the Mountain in a BLOODLESS war after his union with the Princess. Whether he pushes these revolutionary ideals out of principle or glory, it certainly paints him a shade lighter than the usual selfish jerk we all love to hate. So, I think applying these terms to Feducci is debatable, and far less so with Jenny, but I wouldn’t say these descriptors were &quotobvious&quot.

Though I will agree it doesn’t fit the Contrarian much either. The man may be a spiteful bastard that’ll flip his entire philosophy just to prove a point, but his goals/outlook are far more egalitarian than that of his past opponents. Love or hate him, the argumentative twit actually cares.

I’d argue that his revolutionary ties weren’t that obscure, what with him being a hero of Hell’s revolution and all, but it’s not explicitly said either.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 7/3/2018

[quote=Anne Auclair]I’d point out that the Contrarian is very interesting, just in a different way from the others. I think &quotinteresting candidate&quot is too subjective to be verifiable.[/quote]I agree, but the author of this theory didn’t think so, so I guess the pattern is broken for him.

[quote=Snowskeeper]… Er, no, not all patterns. The one I mentioned wasn’t.
>:/[/quote]Oops, sorry, my bad (I didn’t think it even has to be mentioned). The only remaining pattern is, the Contrarian contradicts himself.

Everyone that won has an item that you can knock people over the head with. Sinning Jenny has an Enfranchised Anchoress (who can knock people over the head for you, or you can toss her like an armored guinea pig), Feducci had a War Helm, which you can take off and smack people with, and The Contrarian has his Monochromatic Lantern, which not only is sturdy and dependable, but also helps you sneak up on them in the first place.

I, of course, have not tested my hypothesis on rival supporters…

To be fair, you can also knock people with a bottle of bees, all the 1894 companions can technically knock people over for you (if anything, the Redoubtable Dame-Harbinger sounds more… well, redoubtable), and arguably the Indignant Bearskin packed a hefty hit.