Increasing renown beyond 5

Since there’s opportunity cards and branches that are opened up by having higher renown, I increased mine to 5 for all factions that have it via the carnival. Is there any way besides the favors-into-renown items to raise renown? (Also, there doesn’t appear to be such an item for the rubbery men)

The item for the rubbery men is pulsating amber, and it costs 100 echoes as opposed to the others. in answer to your question- currently, no. I hope that at some point renown can be increased or decreased by your choices, abiet only slowly.

The item for the rubbery men is pulsating amber, and it costs 100 echoes as opposed to the others. in answer to your question- currently, no. I hope that at some point renown can be increased or decreased by your choices, abiet only slowly.[/quote]

Increasing it possibly but I think the idea had been that renown couldn’t be decreased. Your standing with a faction may change but nothing magically erases their memory of you. At this point I’m not even sure if seeking nonsense erases it (one of the candles might).

There are other ways to gain the Amber, should you care not to buy it. Seek them among the ruins in the oldest part of this city, even in a place more forgotten than any other.

Renown can be zeroed by “giving up your friends and fame” during a certain step of Seeking Mr Eaten’s Name, but currently that’s the only known way to decrease it, and it’s indiscriminate.

Oh, I was looking for the “pulsating amber” in the wrong place; thanks.

As Parelle mentioned, it is a bit better to get it via FQ rare success or Nadir End of Battles card. I manage to get it from.the cave right after FBG modified the Rubbers to renown so I wish you good luck!

The item for the rubbery men is pulsating amber, and it costs 100 echoes as opposed to the others. in answer to your question- currently, no. I hope that at some point renown can be increased or decreased by your choices, abiet only slowly.[/quote]

Increasing it possibly but I think the idea had been that renown couldn’t be decreased. Your standing with a faction may change but nothing magically erases their memory of you. At this point I’m not even sure if seeking nonsense erases it (one of the candles might).[/quote]
The thing is, for all that they say that, the actual reasoning seems to be less that and more &quotrenown is how truly tied to a faction you are, favors are merely favors owed.&quot But doing truly terrible things could well slowly drain them of ties. Not quickly- memories of people helped don’t just go away just like that- and not for merely calling in favors.

But for doing the truly despicable things? Leaving a tomb-colonist-to-be imprisoned in his own home, against his will? Playing a terrible, terrible prank on the church? Sabotaging either the dock’s or urchin’s dominance? Those actually would burn a few bridges, little by little eroding your ties to a faction. Never as fast as you could gain them… but not slowly, either.

Since it is somewhat related,I can as well ask here. I was raising favours and renown Docks via Mrs. Plenty, in order to gain Supplies for expedition. But, now that I have capped renown, that option is no more. So, what is the best way to raise my Favours: Dock? I figured that it would be at Wolfstack, but there are no such options, and I am a bit confused.

All favors sources are unreliable, expensive, or card-based. That’s kinda the point of the system change, to a degree- they made favors so good they couldn’t be a standard grind- they’d crush all the ones currently extant! Even criminals favors- the worst type by far in echo value, though far more common to make up for it- have cash-in grinds with epa of 2.2 or higher.

There are sources that don’t require cards, and i wrote up a guide to that- I’ll add it back to my signature- but all of them are slow and not terribly profitable, so unless you want renown fast- or are early enough into the game that other stuff isn’t either- it’s probably not the best use of your time.

That said, the following are sources of docks favors:

[ul][li]The docks faction card’s buy them a round of drinks option[/li][li](This costs a favor to get, and is mutually incompatible with other docks options, but): the docks connected pet. it adds a card to your deck for a
[/li][li]in watchmaker’s hill, if your &quotairs of london&quot value is 96 or higher, follow a chandleress into her workshop and confide in her about your fear of moths. three actions for a favor, and that’s assuming you already have the right airs value, but it’s not card-locked, at least. If you need them desperately enough, this is probably the best grind for you. [there’s also an airs reroll, so one time in 20 you might get a second favor for another action.]
[/li][li]Late-game, mutton island will provide favors on one final option on its loop. 19 actions to gain the favor, but still worth considering.[/li][li]If you’re closest to bohemians, docks, urchins or the great game, at the end of a secrets and spending cycle, you can spend your mark of credit for a docks favor, 12 echoes in intriguing snippets, and 10 cp in each other factions’ connection gauge. Regrettably, this is a terribly slow grind, and is only at its fastest when you meet the following conditions, and otherwise relies on at least 5 opportunity cards: Have access to the university, shuttered palace, forgotten quarter and docks. You must be closest to great game or bohemians. you must have your soul. Then it’s a 44 action grind- 22 to get the mark of credit, 22 to cash it in- and you need some spare pocketful of loose change, too, or there’s a luck check at the end. Eventually, though, this’ll be one of the better ways to get favors, [Not actually saying that much], as they’re changing each faction’s connected boost to an additional favor.
[/li][/ul]
edited by Grenem on 6/18/2016

[ul][li]The docks faction card’s buy them a round of drinks option[/li][li](This costs a favor to get, and is mutually incompatible with other docks options, but): the docks connected pet. it adds a card to your deck for a
[/li][li]in watchmaker’s hill, if your &quotairs of london&quot value is 96 or higher, follow a chandleress into her workshop and confide in her about your fear of moths. three actions for a favor, and that’s assuming you already have the right airs value, but it’s not card-locked, at least. If you need them desperately enough, this is probably the best grind for you. [there’s also an airs reroll, so one time in 20 you might get a second favor for another action.]
[/li][li]Late-game, mutton island will provide favors on one final option on its loop. 19 actions to gain the favor, but still worth considering.[/li][li]If you’re closest to bohemians, docks, urchins or the great game, at the end of a secrets and spending cycle, you can spend your mark of credit for a docks favor, 12 echoes in intriguing snippets, and 10 cp in each other factions’ connection gauge. Regrettably, this is a terribly slow grind, and is only at its fastest when you meet the following conditions, and otherwise relies on at least 5 opportunity cards: Have access to the university, shuttered palace, forgotten quarter and docks. You must be closest to great game or bohemians. you must have your soul. Then it’s a 44 action grind- 22 to get the mark of credit, 22 to cash it in- and you need some spare pocketful of loose change, too, or there’s a luck check at the end. Eventually, though, this’ll be one of the better ways to get favors, [Not actually saying that much], as they’re changing each faction’s connected boost to an additional favor.
[/li][/ul]
edited by Grenem on 6/18/2016[/quote]

Well, I will keep that in mind…meanwhile, back to grinding Cryptic Clues and Whispered Hints. Thank you very much, anyway!

There’s also An Evening’s Zailing, cost of 3 actions and limited to 'name scrawled in blood" 5/6.

And offers 250 shards of glim as well which can be handed for some stolen kisses and MW. :)