In Dire Need of Notability: An Earnest Treatise

[Tacked onto the wall is one of many sheets labeled: &quotIN DIRE NEED OF NOTABILITY: AN EARNEST TREATY&quot]

SLOWCAKE, YOU D__NABLE B_____D! TO SCOUR MY NAME FROM YOUR TWO-BIT FOLIO OF SELF-OBSESSED NITWITS FOLLOWING MY DEBUT AS A LEGENDARY CHARISMA! PRAY, THE LEGEND I AFFECT MUST BE THAT OF THE RIVER LETHE, FOR MY PRESENCE WAS FORGOTTEN NOT MOMENTS AFTER I EMERGED!

CROSS-REFERENCED TWICE! DID MY FELLOWS VANISH INTO THE ETHER AS WELL? IS IT NOT ENOUGH TO EXPUNGE MY PRESENCE FROM YOUR FOETID PAEAN TO VANITY? MUST THOSE WHO SHARE MY COMPANY SUFFER THE SAME FATE? ONCE MORE, I SAY &quotD__N YOU!&quot

TO THINK TH

[The letter continues for a good long while, its tone acerbic throughout. By the end, Mr Slowcake is d__ned no less than eleven times, and his amanuensis is likened to a &quotCHOLERIC TOAD, BLOTED AND GHOULISH&quot.]

[At the bottom of the sheet, however, there is a note added, almost as an afterthought. It implores any &quotREASONABLE CITIZENS OF LONDON&quot to mention the author to the amanuensis if they should have the opportunity. As far as you can tell, that seems to be a woman named &quotRagged Martha,&quot though the address provided seems to be for one &quotSachikoma EX&quot.]

[…Ragged Martha, if these were indeed produced by her hand, must have access to a printing press. She’s plastered the better half of a storefront with facsimiles. A beleaguered bookseller tries in vain to thin their numbers, but at his current rate, it will be evening before he’s descaled even half of his humble shop.]

As a quick note your profile link is broken; FL moved from storynexus a long time ago. The correct format these days is Fallen London (ie something like Fallen London)
edited by Asarta on 10/9/2021