Improved Vocabulary from FL

I was just thinking about how many new words I have learned from playing Echo Bazaar. Coruscating, Costermonger, Airag, Palimpsests and Oubliette come to mind. What about you? Learned any new words since you’e been playing?
edited by KatarinaNavane on 2/24/2013

It taught me the word “pander” (as a noun). I’m unlikely ever to work that one into general conversation.

Tons of words. I really love having an offline dictionary on my PC…

[quote=KatarinaNavane]I was just thinking about how many new words I have learned from playing Echo Bazaar. Coruscating, Costermonger, Airag, Palimpsests and Oubliette come to mind. What about you? Learned any new words since you’e been playing?
edited by KatarinaNavane on 2/24/2013[/quote]

Turophile.

FL taught me the word ‘querulous.’

It taught me many words. Some of them not real. Damn you Mr. Pages!

Adding Lagniappe to my list.

It will be very easy for me to remember that bats are members of the order Chiroptera from now on!

The word “prandial” is one.

Between FL and Oblivion, I will never forget the scientific name for poisonous red and white spotted mushrooms.

I discovered a new meaning of the word “fence”. But since English is not my first language, that might be common knowledge for everybody else…

I somehow managed to go through life without discovering what casing meant. Still dunno what chirp means, apart from the obvious. Then there’s stuff like daguerreotypes, phaetons, and landaus that I just never knew about. Oh, and I looked up lacre on Google as soon as the term popped up. It’s Spanish for sealing wax. Knowing that made the Christmas event kinda weird.

My English teacher was very surprised when I told her I learned the word “magnanimous” from a video game.

I’ve learned all kinds of random things from other games as well. I learned about the six unenlightened realms of existance in some forms of buddhism from a videogame. Also learned about the possible destruction of the minoan civilization by the eruption of Thera (now Santorini) from the same game. If anyone here can identify the game in question (without googling), I will give you a cookie and twenty three awesomeness points (or, like, some first city coins or jewels or something).

Edit to add, actually I’ll give half points even if you google, it doesn’t seem to help that much.
edited by KatarinaNavane on 3/29/2013

Imagine my surprise when, the day after acquiring my frightfully sensitive neurasthenic assassin twins, we learned about the concept of Ataque de Nervios, which, according to the ICD-10 can be classified as Neurasthenia.

can i just say that on the converse FL has completely ruined a cardinal direction and a single-digit number forever for me

i have to occasionally stop myself from writing North sometimes

I’m right there on the learning-from-video-games wagon, but I’m surprised how many of the above-named terms I picked up from, say, Gilbert and Sullivan - or at least memorised their pronunciation through their place in the metre. “Costermonger” and “magnanimity” from Penzance (when the coster’s finished jumpin’ on 'is mother / ON HIS MOTHEERRRR,) for instance. “Araig” and “palimpsest” from FL, certainly, though I think I first picked up “lagniappe” from Left 4 Dead 2, of all places, and “chiroptera” from Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. “Prandial” popped up in Achewood - Cornelius Bear’s inner monologue, of course.