Imagining Two Different Mornings

Let’s imagine for a moment what London would be like the day after the election.

If the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner Wins…

The Brass Embassy subdued and chastened. The Presbyterate thwarted. London safe and sovereign under the Mayorship of a true citizen. Sinning Jenny vindicated, her legacy secure. The city government recommitted in its efforts to fight social and economic injustice. Jeremy the Rubbery Man appointed assistant Mayor. New help promised for London’s many honey addicts and alcoholics. Clay and Rubbery Londoners given new rights and protections. The Masters inconvenienced, their hold on London weakened. New regulations for the establishments of Wines and Spices. New workers’ rights legislated for the factories and sweet shops owned by Irons, Fires, and Veils. The Calendar Council humiliated, John Cassell triumphant from the grave, and moderate Revolutionaries like the Contrarian strengthened. The Regretful Soldier overjoyed at the defeat of his former tormentor.

If Feducci Wins…

The Brass Embassy radiant and celebratory. The Presbyterate triumphant. London governed by a foreign agent controlled from the Southern Continent and Hell. Sinning Jenny a failure, her legacy in ruins. The city administration paralyzed by the impossible task of putting Feducci’s poorly thought-out and contradictory ideas into effect. The Indulgent Devil appointed assistant Mayor. No help for London’s many honey addicts and alcoholics. Clay and Rubbery Londoners ignored and left to fend for themselves. The Masters happy and secure, their hold on London stronger than ever. Fewer regulations for the establishments of Wines and Spices. No new protections for workers in the factories and sweatshops of Irons, Fires, and Veils. The Calendar Council overjoyed, the Liberation hardliners in full control, and its moderates marginalized. The Regretful Soldier broken and humiliated by the public honors given over to his former tormentor.

If the Implacable Detective Wins…

I go to jail! And you go to jail! And you go to jail, yes, you too! Everyone goes to jail!

But what if we’re good, model citiz- ahahahaha, okay, I couldn’t even finish.

“Their hold on London weakened.”

How hilariously naive.

In all seriousness, the Implacable Detective is far more concerned with purging corruption from the Constabulary than in arresting common criminals. Preparations would be made to set that in motion.

If the Temperance Campaigner Wins…
Trying to pass a law to limit supply of Wine and Honey: Criminal element sell them anyway with help from criminal elements and corrupt Constables.

Trying to limit the time of day alcohol is sold: Constables happily take bribes from bar owners to ignore the rules.

Trying to sanction sleazy slum lords: corrupt judges let them go.

If the Implacable Detective Wins…
Corrupt elements are purged from the Constabulary and the courts: For the first time any other reform had any chance to happen.

edited by dov on 7/7/2017

Anne you’re a dear but you’re going too far with this. It’s come to the point where when I clicked this thread and saw your name on the left I sighed and thought to myself, “Darn, just another Anne post.”

[b]If Squidley Johnson Wins…

[/b]Boneless writhing from every corner. The Rubberies need hide no longer, and they make their squamous selves known! The Brass Embassy is so perplexed that they pack up and go home.

Feducci is put to use battling the enemies of our fair city, as he deserves. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is rather put out by the sudden influx of amber into the market, but she makes do. The Detective has horrible flashbacks of the Rubbery Murders.

All in all, things are basically okay!

[quote=gronostaj]If the Implacable Detective Wins…

I go to jail! And you go to jail! And you go to jail, yes, you too! Everyone goes to jail![/quote]

Isn’t it more economical and efficient to just rename the city to a prison?

[quote=Estelle Knoht][quote=gronostaj]If the Implacable Detective Wins…

I go to jail! And you go to jail! And you go to jail, yes, you too! Everyone goes to jail![/quote]

Isn’t it more economical and efficient to just rename the city to a prison?[/quote]
New New Newgate.

Now we’re just getting silly.

Well technically, once you die once, the entire city of London does become one big prison. You can’t leave, can you? You’re trapped here… in the dark… (stock horror music fades softly in)

At least until you accumulate a ridiculous amount of money and start chugging down cider made from magical apples.

[quote=Estelle Knoht][quote=gronostaj]If the Implacable Detective Wins…

Isn’t it more economical and efficient to just rename the city to a prison?[/quote]

you know what,… ESTELLE KNOHT FOR THE MAYOR!! VOTE FOR BRILLIANCE, VOTE FOR EFFICIENCY, VOTE FOR KNOHT!!

[quote=dov]If the Temperance Campaigner Wins…
Trying to pass a law to limit supply of Wine and Honey: Criminal element sell them anyway with help from criminal elements and corrupt Constables.

Trying to limit the time of day alcohol is sold: Constables happily take bribes from bar owners to ignore the rules.

Trying to sanction sleazy slum lords: corrupt judges let them go.[/quote]
You don’t actually need constables and courts for any of those things. You can take action through public pressure and administrative action. I think there are enough temperance campaigners in the city for the Dauntless Campaigner to find a loyal and dedicated staff of municipal investigators and enforcers. Jenny created the Department of Public Works after all and staffed it with her Bazaarine friends. What’s to stop the DTC from creating the Department of Social Welfare and staffing it with her former comrades?

[quote=Anne Auclair][quote=dov]If the Temperance Campaigner Wins…

Trying to sanction sleazy slum lords: corrupt judges let them go.[/quote]
You don’t actually need constables and courts for any of those things. You can take action through public pressure and administrative action. I think there are enough temperance campaigners in the city for the Dauntless Campaigner to find a loyal and dedicated staff of municipal investigators and enforcers. Jenny created the Department of Public Works after all and staffed it with her Bazaarine friends. What’s to stop the DTC from creating the Department of Social Welfare and staffing it with her former comrades?[/quote]

So you’re saying the DTC intends to deputizes a empower zealous, unknown fringe elements with the power to prosecute London citizens under her name? People already think the police have to much power, and you’re here championing the creation of DTC Special Constables. She herself has a history of personally beating drunks, so it makes sense. Wow, your vision of a Temperate utopia is actually worse than even I feared it would be.

You even suggest she’d bypass judicial process! Seriously, no courts!?

I don’t think that’s true.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/7/2017

edited by Anne Auclair on 7/7/2017[/quote]
It entirely is; from the carouse option on the ‘Where’s my soul?’ card … [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]By the time you muzzily realise what’s going on, she’s shouting for the Constables and beating you over the head with her shoe[/color]

It entirely is; from the carouse option on the ‘Where’s my soul?’ card[/quote]
The full quote reveals that you blundered into her in a drunken stupor and she thinks you’re attacking her. So she starts fighting you off with her shoe while shouting for the police. A perfectly ordinary misunderstanding, from the sound of it.

Lemme stop you right ther-

You-

Well they would just-

AAAAHAHAHAHAHA-

It entirely is; from the carouse option on the ‘Where’s my soul?’ card[/quote]
The full quote reveals that you blundered into her in a drunken stupor and she thinks you’re attacking her. So she starts fighting you off with her shoe while shouting for the police. A perfectly ordinary misunderstanding, from the sound of it.[/quote]For the observer, this is the full text. I think Amsfield meant to include it, since there’s white text in the message, but something appears to have messed up.