I Found A Typo

I dunno where to put this, to be entirely honest. I don’t have twitter or facebook, and I didn’t see a messaging thing on the blog, nor did I see a standard report feature on the site. So, I’ll just drop this here and hope it’s seen.
I was spending my time on the river with the boatman, playing chess with him. Currently level 16 of Boatman’s Opponent and finally succeeded with my cruddy Watchful score. Then I got this message;
&quotThe Boatman hisses as he topples his king with a bony knuckle. &quotEnjoy it while it lasts,&quot he growls. &quotYou’re all of you mine in the end.&quot&quot
Trying to upload a picture, but I can’t seem to do it.
I’m bad at forums.
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this

There seems to be no typo in the quoted passage, but if there were, the appropriate thing is to send a report to Support via e-mail.

– Mal

You’re all of you mine in the end?
Is that actually correct and I’m just insane?

[quote=KittehEllis]You’re all of you mine in the end?[/quote]I’m not sure if it is proper but it sounds fine to me.

It’s colloquial speech, yes. On your sanity, you know best.:) [basically, it is semantically equivalent to “All of you are mine in the end.”]

– Mal

Fair enough. It just sounds really improper to me and such. Guess it’s not a huge deal.

OH, there is a typo, I think, the lack of commas I think.

It might supposed to be “You’re, all of you, mine ni the end”

I think the extra commas just muddy the flow of the thing. I’d say it’s fine as is.

[quote=Cecil ]OH, there is a typo, I think, the lack of commas I think.

It might supposed to be &quotYou’re, all of you, mine ni the end&quot[/quote]

I Found A Typo :loo:

Per the in-game Help page, you can report typos to support@failbettergames.com! But, yes, I’d say this isn’t a typo, just the Boatman using a slightly odd turn of phrase. We’re all of us his in the end.

[quote=Estelle Knoht][quote=Cecil ]OH, there is a typo, I think, the lack of commas I think.

It might supposed to be &quotYou’re, all of you, mine ni the end&quot[/quote]

I Found A Typo :loo:[/quote]

As for the subject itself, I think the sentence works as-is. (I can see how it reads better with commas, but as spoken the commas slow it down needlessly. If in doubt, speak the sentence in a pirate voice. It still flows smoothly, even if at first glance it doesn’t appear to do so as text. ^_^ )

This isn’t a typo and it doesn’t need a comma. It’s a perfectly correct sentence, at least in British English.

Quoth E Nesbit:

&quotThen He would say, &quotI told you
The time I was here before,
That you were all of you brothers,
All you that I suffered for.
I won’t go into your churches,
I’ll stop in the sun outside.
You bring out the men your brothers,
The men for whom I died!&quot&quot
edited by Lord Hoot on 12/3/2015

Plus as the poor chaps Swedish you might expect his English to sound a tad unusual?

Because it is colloquial, the commas aren’t used because that would be grafting rigorous grammar onto what is, essentially, dialect. &quotAll of you&quot stands in place of simply &quotall.&quot It’s useful in poetry to add to the meter, and thus the commas also are omitted to not impede the flow.

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 12/3/2015

One thing to keep in mind is that the internet is used by people from all over the world so if you’re not British or from a post British colonial country where you grew up reading a lot of English story books you may encounter some really weird-sounding colloquial constructions in FL.

So, the voice I hear when I read Death’s lines is kind of like Bill Nighy’s in some of his villainous roles - if he’s anything less than delighted than it could be described as dry and wary, and &quotbreathily menacing&quot doesn’t require raising his voice at all.

&quotYou’re all of you mine in the end.&quot

For an undetermined but m a s s i v e length of time it’s been ferrying people on that boat. Its clothes are semiformal, not unlike something Tom Waits might wear, but they’re moldy with centuries of the humidity of the river. It still carries itself with a confidence and gravity befitting somebody who’s been doing their job for thousands of years in the same tiny workspace, while remaining omniscient concerning death. It is never surprised to see you, but by some law it has to honor the game. It’s been playing a long time and it’s ferociously experienced and effective. It doesn’t lose often and isn’t a good loser. It keeps its composure, just barely, but wants you not to enjoy your victory. It wants you to know you’ll be back.

And everybody’s always trying to get away. It has no sympathy for its numberless quarries. In the plot of the game, the player character is a brilliant and pivotal figure but to Death we’re just a messy account. It wants us to know we’re insignificant, so when it loses a game it derides our entire species.

&quotCharon&quot

Charon leaned forward and rowed. All things were one with his weariness.
It was not with him a matter of years or of centuries, but of wide floods of time, and an old heaviness and a pain in the arms that had become for him part of the scheme that the gods had made and was of a piece with Eternity.
If the gods had even sent him a contrary wind it would have divided all time in his memory into two equal slabs.
So grey were all things always where he was that if any radiance lingered a moment among the dead, on the face of such a queen perhaps as Cleopatra, his eyes could not have perceived it.
It was strange that the dead nowadays were coming in such numbers. They were coming in thousands where they used to come in fifties. It was neither Charon’s duty nor his wont to ponder in his grey soul why these things might be. Charon leaned forward and rowed.
Then no one came for a while. It was not usual for the gods to send no one down from Earth for such a space. But the gods knew best.
Then one man came alone. And the little shade sat shivering on a lonely bench and the great boat pushed off. Only one passenger: the gods knew best. And great and weary Charon rowed on and on beside the little, silent, shivering ghost.
And the sound of the river was like a mighty sigh that Grief in the beginning had sighed among her sisters, and that could not die like the echoes of human sorrow failing on earthly hills, but was as old as time and the pain in Charon’s arms.
Then the boat from the slow, grey river loomed up to the coast of Dis and the little, silent shade still shivering stepped ashore, and Charon turned the boat to go wearily back to the world. Then the little shadow spoke, that had been a man.
&quotI am the last,&quot he said.
No one had ever made Charon smile before, no one before had ever made him weep.

(Lord Dunsany)

– Mal