I believe I may not be cut out for this.

So aside from my choice in election career leaving me without the best watchful boots avaliable in the game to date, I fear that it has also tricked me in terms of the only reason I picked Agitator in the first place.

Seeing the red, the club, and the general theme of the career, I had assumed dangerous would be a primary attribute. This inspired me to choose Agitator, as my dangerous is leagues above my other stats, I have since discovered that it is actually best done via flash lays, which are primarily persuasive, shadowy and watchful affairs.

Which is to say, everything but dangerous.

I am getting the feeling that I am just…really, really bad, at making election decisions for myself. Which raises a fairly large question about the biggest decision made thus far: Supporting the bishop!

Only time will tell, but I have to wonder how this one is going to turn around and make me regret it.

Well, it is a role-playing game, Neonir. Min-maxing is only one approach.

– Mal

A lot of people are in that boat, both in the Neath and on the Surface.

Are you saying you wish the game had been a bit clearer about what the various choices entail? Because it’s okay to just say that :P

[quote=malthaussen]Well, it is a role-playing game, Neonir. Min-maxing is only one approach.

– Mal[/quote]

I’d say it’s not really min maxing to lament failing to get the one oppotunity thus far to get the best watchful boots in the game, so much as, trying to get the best stuff in the game, just like how I try to get the fanciest house, the coolest profession, being able to outfit my character in the fanciest gear is a goal. And as for choosing a job which appears to be tailored to my strengths, only to find out it’s tailored to everything BUT my strengths, well, that’s err, that’s just downright dissapointing, in a roleplaying sense or not.

I mean, only somewhat, I’m okay with having a tad bit of mystery, especially in terms of the loot. By all means I’m dissapointed I didn’t get the shoes, but I dont really think the choice needs to broadcast &quotthis gets you the most valuable shoes in the game&quot, if people are interested, they can look it up, as I should have apparently. But it wooouuld be nice, when you find out &quotActually this job doesn’t involve any of the stuff you thought it did&quot to be able to say &quotoh, maybe not then&quot, or barring that, for it to tell you the main attributes used maybe.

@Neonir: Ah, well, when you put it that way… if your character’s goal is to acquire all the best stuff, then you do have grounds for disappointment. I agree, they could be clearer on what qualities the three jobs entail. Especially as the role-playing differences among a Campaigner, Fixer, and Agitator might not be evident to the player.

– Mal

on the other hand, you’ll get another opportunity for an election next year? so if you’re willing to commit that time or just show up then, you can probably get them then.

Just because something gives you the highest bonus doesn’t mean it’s the best. For example, I picked the poisonous pen, even though my favored attribute is Persuasive. Can one write an epic poem in lethal shades of emerald with a pair of boots? Of course not.

The best item is the one that you can wear or wield with pride, not the trinket that ticks up the ones digit on your stats an extra point or two. If your character wants a tankard that screams at him, then by God, give him one!

Jackson Shea makes a good point. Also, consider that it’s possible to minimax in small ways (i.e., to obtain certain items) and roleplay in others. That’s what great about Fallen London; it supports a variety of different play styles, including random or non-random mixtures of styles.

The items themselves are already very very good both stats-wise and flavor-wise. They are created to be a fate-locked gift in mind on par with Feast Companions.

Of course, I posted a guide, but that’s mostly so people who cares about stats can get something they want too. Both ways are fine, you know.

I mean, that’d be all well and good, if the things I were able to pick for what I got were any way fitting for my character.

A polythreme cup, and an angry lady. I can tell you, the boots “Encased in a thick coat of crimson tallow” would fit better. Your point about picking one that fits best is somewhat moot anyways, if I didn’t realize there was going to be path unique loot to be had, and picked with haste and picked poorly, which is what I have been expressing in this thread. My astonishment in my ability to fail in every decision I have made.

Also, yeah, Estelle I read your guide, and I wish I had done so sooner,

Surprise gifts aren’t bad unless they are white elephants. You are getting a nice gift, it is just not perfect. Don’t beat yourself up over it!

Fixers remain problematic.

[quote=Neonir]I mean, that’d be all well and good, if the things I were able to pick for what I got were any way fitting for my character.

A polythreme cup, and an angry lady. I can tell you, the boots &quotEncased in a thick coat of crimson tallow&quot would fit better. Your point about picking one that fits best is somewhat moot anyways, if I didn’t realize there was going to be path unique loot to be had, and picked with haste and picked poorly, which is what I have been expressing in this thread. My astonishment in my ability to fail in every decision I have made.

Also, yeah, Estelle I read your guide, and I wish I had done so sooner,[/quote]
You’d know your character better than I do, but glancing at your profile, the Polythreme Drinking Vessel seems a pretty good fit for him. Lord Gregory is a Zee zailing, armor clad monster-hunter who spears lorn-flukes with his well-notched monster-bone harpoon. Clearly he has a taste for the finer things in life, so the boots would have fit very well, but there’s also something very rough and virile about him. That Polythreme cup is a zailor and explorer’s drinking vessel, its pained utterances contain the strangled sounds of distant shores, of the eat or be eaten world of the Unterzee. I also notice Lord Gregory rooms in the Royal Bethlehem, where the mysterious Manager dwells, dreaming of faraway Polythreme, finding solace in his collection of whispering satin scraps and other oddities.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/5/2016

Can I say it? Because I still can’t make up my mind and I can’t find enough information on what the three of them actually entail…

Can I say it? Because I still can’t make up my mind and I can’t find enough information on what the three of them actually entail…[/quote]

[li]
Having Jenny’s back (have you seen her back?!) is an obvious choice for me. However, were I otherwise constituted, I must own that I would find the dearth of substantial (or even ad hominem) rhetoric displeasing.

[quote=Neonir]I mean, that’d be all well and good, if the things I were able to pick for what I got were any way fitting for my character.

A polythreme cup, and an angry lady. I can tell you, the boots &quotEncased in a thick coat of crimson tallow&quot would fit better. Your point about picking one that fits best is somewhat moot anyways, if I didn’t realize there was going to be path unique loot to be had, and picked with haste and picked poorly, which is what I have been expressing in this thread. My astonishment in my ability to fail in every decision I have made.

Also, yeah, Estelle I read your guide, and I wish I had done so sooner,[/quote]

You may want to consider this too: FBG has already said that they want to make the Election an annual event; you may be able to get the boots next year.

Fixers are meant to be getting fixed later in the week. :-)

Fixers are meant to be getting fixed later in the week. :-)[/quote]

And there honestly wasn’t much wrong with them in the first place :P

I blame the wax boots. They started a lot of people off on the wrong foot ;P

Anyway, now you can get the boots too, so its all good ^_^
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/6/2016

Can I say it? Because I still can’t make up my mind and I can’t find enough information on what the three of them actually entail…[/quote]

[li]
Having Jenny’s back (have you seen her back?!) is an obvious choice for me. However, were I otherwise constituted, I must own that I would find the dearth of substantial (or even ad hominem) rhetoric displeasing.[/quote]
So you were one of the lucky ones who escaped blackmail, then? congratulations. i was too, but that’s because i have enough poisonings to counterblackmail jenny between that and her election strategy.
[/li]

IF someone were to really start opposing her, they might begin by poisoning those worthys whom she blackmails.