I am the Duchess's best friend

… or so it seems. At the moment I have Connected: The Duchess 165 because I use the Entry to the Salon storylet at the Shuttered Palace to grind Connected: Bohemian for Notability purposes.

My question is: is there anywhere that I can ‘cash in’ this Connected: The Duchess? While she is a very lovely (and interesting) person, I don’t feel the need to be one of her closest confidantes at the moment…

There isn’t a trade in as far as I know. You can use her connection for Heists, getting into the Empress’ Court, and getting out of the Tomb-Colonies.

Connected: The Duchess seems to be used more for stories than for money-making and stat-grinding. If I might add to what Sara said, using the Duchess’ favour to get into the courts is highly preferable to using Society; Society is overall more useful in terms of money-making and takes a much larger hit if you choose to use it instead.

Duchess connections are probably skyrocketing because of the Notability mechanics. I have her at 290(!) because of it, and there aren’t many uses. I’d be curious to know how much it takes away if you invite her to your salon.

I have it at 345 and know of no use other than entering the court and mentioning it to cats on heists…

[color=#C2B280]I agree there aren’t enough ways to use Connected: the Duchess at the moment. My understanding is that more will be added, but I don’t know when – as ever, there are so very many things to do, and there’s so little time in which to do them.
[/color]

Well, when there are, WE’LL BE READY!

How do Bohemian connections matter for notability?

You use it to build up your Salon Scheme.

Maybe if you got the Connection really high, you could cash it in for a Midnight Matriarch? Just an idea.

I can get Connected: Society +33 CP from attending the Duchess’ salon and being erudite rather than publishing poetry in her honour. And 33 is 50% more than 22. So why try to encourage the wise and the wicked to visit your salon, instead of the good and the great? If it has anything to do with those alluring levels of ‘random CPs’ reported in the wiki, I think I’ve figured out how those came to be, and why my own average gain is only ~6 CPs per attempt.

One reason is that I have loads of Stolen Kisses but few Favours in High Places.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]One reason is that I have loads of Stolen Kisses but few Favours in High Places.[/quote] But Stolen Kisses can be converted upwards to Favours in High Places. And you get Making Waves for doing it. Which is what you want out of your salon. Right?

And if you don’t want those Making Waves to increase your Notability just yet you can use them to make Nights on the Town.

• [quote=Gillsing][quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]One reason is that I have loads of Stolen Kisses but few Favours in High Places.[/quote] But Stolen Kisses can be converted upwards to Favours in High Places. And you get Making Waves for doing it. Which is what you want out of your salon. Right?[/quote]

We should probably put this in the Notability thread, but:

I don’t think this is going to have a clear-cut answer.

[ul][li]The Wise and the Wicked requires 500 CP of Bohemian, and 4 stolen kisses.

[ul][li]500 CP of Bohemian takes about 22-23 rounds of grinding.
[/li][li]4 stolen kisses, over the long run, will take about 8 rounds of grinding. (14 rounds to get 7 on the Affair of the Box)
[/li][li]Call that 30-31 rounds to get into position.
[/li][/ul]
[/li][li]The Great and the Good requires 500 cp of Society, and a Favor in High Places

[ul][li]500 CP of Society takes about 15 rounds of grinding.
[/li][li]A Favor takes a little more than 10 rounds (50 rounds to get 25 Kisses, plus one more action to convert to 5 Favors)
[/li][li]Call that 25-26 rounds to get into position.
[/li][/ul]
[/li][/ul]

Now, the wiki suggests the following Scheme rewards, in CPS:

[ul][li]The Great and the Good: 5-7 CP, for an average of 6[/li]
[li]The Wise and the Wicked: unknown but &quotvery variable&quot[/li][/ul]

So unless I’ve missed something or done something stupid, we expect a little more than 6 Scheme CPs from 25-26 actions for the Great and the Good. Call it… about 1/4 CP per action?

Since we don’t really know what the Wise and the Wicked gives, this becomes guesswork: Do we believe it it is more than 1/4 per action? Since the carousel takes a little longer, the average would need to be at least 7.5 for the whole carousel. That seems plausible to me-- the comments in the wiki indicate some debate over what that range really is, but 7 or 8 does not seem unreasonable.

However, as pointed out, one also gets Making Waves CPs in exchange for the Kiss to Favor conversion, with a reported range of 2-31, which implies an expected value of 16 per conversion, or 3.2 per favor. Between the ambiguity of the Wise and the Wicked reward (is it average 6? 10? 15?) and the complication of the MW CPs for the Kiss to Favor conversion, it’s hard to say which one of these is really better.[li]

Note: I always assume uniform distributions on the random numbers, for lack of any better information.
edited by Humblest on 3/2/2014