Hunter's Keep

I’ve just returned to Hunter’s Keep, remembering that I hadn’t quite explored all the possibilities of the place. What the hell is going on here? [Spoilers]

[ul][li]Three sisters who all tell slightly different versions of the same (quite mundane) love story, over and over again?[/li][li]A maidservant who eats glim and hangs out down a freaky well (she has yellow eyes, meaning she’s a devil)[/li][li]The stone-tentacle key. The wiki mentions it’s something to do with Heart’s Desire and Nemesis, but I’m Light-Fingers so I wouldn’t know. So what is it for?[/li][li]The connection with the King of a Hundred Hearts, and perhaps the manager of the Royal Beth.[/li][/ul]I’m well confused.

It is not at all clear, but there appear to be two creatures who lurk in the well - the devilish maid, and something… else. It’s not clear which of these two eats the glim.

It’s been suggested that the key will be of use in all of the Ambitions, eventually.

As for the rest, I’ve heard some very interesting theories, but… well, your guess is as good as mine.

Are the sisters older than they seem, perhaps?

[quote=Mysterious Gentleman]I’ve just returned to Hunter’s Keep, remembering that I hadn’t quite explored all the possibilities of the place. What the hell is going on here? [Spoilers]

• Three sisters who all tell slightly different versions of the same (quite mundane) love story, over and over again?[/li][li]A maidservant who eats glim and hangs out down a freaky well (she has yellow eyes, meaning she’s a devil)[/li][li]The stone-tentacle key. The wiki mentions it’s something to do with Heart’s Desire and Nemesis, but I’m Light-Fingers so I wouldn’t know. So what is it for?[/li][li]The connection with the King of a Hundred Hearts, and perhaps the manager of the Royal Beth.

Without getting into spoilers, you need the Key in Nemesis to obtain access to…an imprisoned character you need to talk to.

They almost certainly are, but the Hunter Keep storylets give you nothing more than tantalizing hints of how old they are and who they might really be.

The sisters are definitely not typical. I always thought they were more tied to the well than they let on. There’s a weird lotus eater vibe to the whole island. It’s just not sinister enough for the Neath. Still, there’s worse places for a summer home. The sisters seem to make good company, mostly.

One should note that corresponding with them is an excellent source of tales of terror. So, at the very least they know things.

Their names and the Island’s name relate back to Hecate/Artemis. Perhaps quite literally it is the Keep of the Huntress. Hecate being a triplicate goddess holding alternately: Torches(Truth Burns), a Key, Serpents, or Daggers. And of course more references than that besides…

Alternatively not a word of it may be true. It could all be a lesson in the power of stories.

Or, of course, some mix of both.

Very much a personal experience. A story within a story, like a song within a song.

More generally several different aspects of Fallen London find themselves at a Crossroads on the Island.

Spiked creatures inhabit the coastline. Drowned Men send messages on driftwood. Sorrow Spiders and perhaps worse infest the Boathouse. The nature of the Bazaar is found in every written word.

The Ambitious are naturally drawn to this place. The Key has passed through many hands and has many more to go.

As to what is going on, it is better to ask what is not going on here instead.

I am somewhat curious if we will ever meet their beloved. I’m tentatively going with the name Patrick. Primarily because it is the only unique name we find there and that it can translate to Patroclus or (Glory of the Father). A particularly apt name for the young man in question. Very much conjecture, though I do live in hope of seeing an ink stained soul working for Mr. Pages.
[i]

[/i]
edited by Endy on 2/4/2013