How to make money

[li]I have been trying to get rich in this game but it is pretty hard when you are pretty low leveled.
[li]My stats are, without items,
[li]Watchful 32
[li]Shadowy 31
[li]Dangerous 36
[li]Persuasive 43.
[li]I am thinking is that I should keep writing books and selling em since this seemed like the best way to make money but it takes so much time. is it a good method or is there a simpler and faster method? thanks for your input
[li]

The best advice I can give is don’t focus on making money. Focus on SAVINGS. Start building up a collection, a horde of loot, vault of treasure (just hold onto the various items that come into your possession). Just play, the wealth will come to you, and try to refrain from selling off any &quotjunk&quot that you might procure; you never know what might be important later on down the line, some items are more common &quotcurrency&quot than others. Anyway, this comes from me looking back on my early days… selling off every single thing I had so that I could buy the &quotnext best in gear&quot or what have you, now realizing I could of saved my self a fist full of Echos by grinding a little bit. Also, the secret to TRUE wealth is grinding… even the &quotquickest&quot means of mass Echo’s that I can think of still requires extensive grinding, a fairly high Watchful, and is PAINFULLY luck based (The Fidgeting Writer). Everyone else (that’s an exaggeration. A LOT of people) will tell you the &quotAffair of the Box&quot is the best means of Echo’s… but I don’t trust it… there is something about a quality that can be pushed into the thousands that I find suspicious, that’s just me though, and you’re a few levels and maybe a bit of Fate away from that particular story.

I digress, just play the game, maybe find a Patron or two to bump your stats. Have you gotten a Profession yet? (If no, then do that. If yes, then start towards the next tier)

The last thing I will say is this: If you get the urge to SELL EVERYTHING, fight it, it might not seem worth it now… but when you’re trying to get a boat you will be grateful. I know I would of been…
edited by AgentBlueSky on 7/19/2014
edited by AgentBlueSky on 7/19/2014

The best advice I can give you is to read the wiki’s Beginner’s Guide if you haven’t already. There’s a section on money there, which you might find useful. The short answer would be, you can sell surpluses of goods safely if you have a lot of them already. Some goods can be converted up for new items, which means you won’t have to find good sources on all resources in the game.

With rewards roughly depending on how tough the challenge is, the fastest way to get rich is to focus on a single stat and bump it up to 167 or 200 or even higher, and then pick a grind where that stat can be relied upon exclusively.

Not sure how well writing books pay when you don’t have good enough Persuasive to increase Potential to 100+ for Potentially Masterful. But if you can get Persuasive to 167+ for 100% chance of success, then you could make about 1.2 Echoes/Action, not accounting for how you acquire the Extraordinary Implications you’d need for Weave in esoteric elements.

Not very good money in my book, so I would recommend focusing on either Watchful or Shadowy for making money. Or Dangerous! If you can get to the Third Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers and then stay there, making sure to not advance the story beyond what you need to ‘deal with mirror-smugglers’. Then you could do that over and over, cashing in The Hunt is On! by killing a certain goat demon or some rat-brigands. Good money, now that those storylets remain available even after entering the Labyrinth (apparently they used to be locked at that point). You can use Watchful for a similar grind once you’re in the second part of the University story, but that requires much more work on the way, such as many expeditions to the Forgotten Quarter.

If you want more money right now, and you’re getting less than 50 pence per action from your current writing, then you could make more money by getting 50 of any third tier resource (Tale of Terror, Journal of Infamy, Compromising Document, Memory of Light, etc) and then convert them sideways in a circle, getting one extra resource for every conversion. Really boring, but that’s making money for you.

Item conversion… I forgot about item conversion…
I must apologize for my grave oversight. The item conversion loop is a perfect way for a low level player to build wealth (Its a decent way for ANY player to build wealth), especially when you get enough of something to do the high end conversions. For example, here is one of my favorite conversions: 25 Thirsty Bombazine Scrap to 5 Puzzle-Damask, on a success you get a bonus 4 Incendiary Gossip… or, on a Rare Success, 5 SEARING ENIGMAS! Not really for profit, but Searing Enigmas are not easy to come by.
Now I will step down from the podium. As I too am still learning and solving.

Y’know, you can do AoTB without raising Empire’s Kingmaker at all. After a certain point in the story, you can start gaining Boxful of Intrigue through conflict cards. Of course, you’ll need to get to EK 40 in order to start getting Mourning Candles as a reward. But after that point, you can do it without getting EK involved at all. I’ll admit it’s not as ideal, but it’s still a reasonable possibility.

edited by dismallyOriented on 7/19/2014
edited by dismallyOriented on 7/19/2014

I do a lot of item crafting. Some of the time, I have no idea what the items are. But I’m trying to build stockpiles of the items I can make or grind. Have been focused on purchasing houses and pets/servants for the time being. I don’t mind having lower stats for lack of better equipment because I’m managing just fine and the pets/houses give interesting opportunity cards.

How many of an item is a good stockpile, do you think? Generally speaking, I mean. A number above which it’s mostly safe to sell surplus? Put another way, what’s the maximum amount of an item that should be kept on hand at all times for emergencies or opportunity cards? Assuming opinions would differ on this, but surely there’s a point where stockpiling is simply hoarding and that extra could and should be converted to echoes?

10E of commonly used items will get you far, even at the end-game. The second part here is to know where to get the stuff you sell. Also, item conversions means you can exchange tier 3 items for each other if you’re down on some items. Don’t sell items that are super hard to get. I also personally like to have at least one of every item, so that I can see item conversion actions and the likes. If item conversions are hard to keep track of, you might want to check out the wiki guide.

[quote=Taleria]Assuming opinions would differ on this, but surely there’s a point where stockpiling is simply hoarding and that extra could and should be converted to echoes?[/quote]Apparently there are storylets that will steal all of your Echoes (or at least enough to be all of the ones people have had), so why hoard Echoes instead of hoarding potentially useful resources? Suddenly there might be a card with an option that requires 2000 x Drop of Prisoner’s Honey, and then it might be convenient to have some of that. (Don’t take this as a recommendation to play that option. Investor beware!)

Another example is this year’s Feast of the Exceptional Rose, where there were options to send gifts that cost 10-30 Echoes’ worth of items such as Cryptic Clues, Appalling Secrets, Intriguing Gossip, Inklings of Identity and Drops of Prisoner’s Honey. So the more you’d been hoarding, the more gifts you would’ve been able to send without having to grind for items.

You can’t put the toothpaste back into the tube. Or rather, it costs at least twice as much to turn Echoes into items as you get for selling the items. So apart from the possibility of a price drop, it makes little sense to sell items before you actually need the Echoes. At which point you ought to know which items you’re always getting more of, and which would therefore be the best to sell.

[quote=Gillsing][quote=Taleria]Assuming opinions would differ on this, but surely there’s a point where stockpiling is simply hoarding and that extra could and should be converted to echoes?[/quote]Apparently there are storylets that will steal all of your Echoes (or at least enough to be all of the ones people have had), so why hoard Echoes instead of hoarding potentially useful resources? Suddenly there might be a card with an option that requires 2000 x Drop of Prisoner’s Honey, and then it might be convenient to have some of that. (Don’t take this as a recommendation to play that option. Investor beware!)

Another example is this year’s Feast of the Exceptional Rose, where there were options to send gifts that cost 10-30 Echoes’ worth of items such as Cryptic Clues, Appalling Secrets, Intriguing Gossip, Inklings of Identity and Drops of Prisoner’s Honey. So the more you’d been hoarding, the more gifts you would’ve been able to send without having to grind for items.[/quote]
Only storylet that steals all your pence is the grand hunt of the devils. The point in selling items would be if you’re saving up for something and enjoy having an easier way of seeing how close you are without counting up the value of all your items every few actions. Overgoats for one would be a good example. There are also options that now require pence, Engage in Commerce being a good example. I agree that buying stuff otherwise available with pence is usually not a good idea, though.

[li]
Yeah. I like having one of each item, too. Same reason. For ease of seeing if the item can be converted and what the options are. Also good for seeing sell value at the Bazaar, for ease of calculating ten echoes’ worth. ;)

I’m finding that item availability, i.e., grind scenarios are variable. However, when one shows up, it’s super easy to accumulate ten echoes’ worth.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I am checking the item guide right now and it is super helpful. I read the wiki and I didn’t know this page existed. :)

[quote=Aximillio]Only storylet that steals all your pence is the grand hunt of the devils.[/quote]I was mostly thinking of the report that wretched recidivists are fined when they end up in front of the judge again. And who knows what might turn up in the future?

Ah, yes, that too. But you need to get your quality up before that happens, though.

[quote=Aximillio]
The point in selling items would be if you’re saving up for something and enjoy having an easier way of seeing how close you are without counting up the value of all your items every few actions.[/quote]Fortunately, there are ways of automatically tallying how much your collection of stuff is worth.
I haven’t been able to get something to automatically create a bookmarklet, so just create a bookmark and set this as the URL:

edited by Raymond R Price on 8/1/2014

[quote=Raymond Price][quote=Aximillio]

I haven’t been able to get something to automatically create a bookmarklet, so just create a bookmark and set this as the URL:

i tried that javascript. but all it does is return how many echos i currently have. do i have to be in london, or somewhere where the bazaar is available??
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 8/1/2014

[quote=&quotMany&quot Chin]i tried that javascript. but all it does is return how many echos i currently have. do i have to be in london, or somewhere where the bazaar is available??[/quote]Yes, you have to click on the Bazaar tab and view the &quotSell My Things&quot section.

thanks for the code! anyhoo it seems that my main has more than enough echos worth to just buy the honey or whispers needed for the hotel room or the bazaar room. my shadowy alt has just enough to do the same , if he/she sold EVERYTHING, which is probably a bad idea. i think i might have actually made most of my fortune from the tier 2 professions and item conversions, rather than purposeful grinding.[li]

[/li]
edited by rebelanarch-82 on 8/3/2014

If your goal is purely quick progression rather than savouring story, one approach is to do a lot of social actions that give Second Chances. I found this useful when I was grinding those last few levels to 200. Note that suspicious loitering gets you Suspicion, unlike the other three actions which are menace-free and can even get Making Waves.

What you could do:

Find some friends with significantly higher in the stat you fancy increasing, and make sure they don’t mind lots of invitations (spread them out over several people over time, if you can, or offer to give them any Making Waves you make from the deal in exchange for their patience).

A social action with a higher player will normally get you two Second Chances (eg Confident Smiles for Persuasive, Sudden Insights for Watchful), but there is chance involved - it seems even a novice chess player may beat a more experienced one by luck. Second Chances can be exchanged five at a time at your lodgings, for a bump in the primary quality plus a little bonus increase in two other qualities.

I’d recommend using this approach sparingly because it does risk skipping a lot of story. However, it is good for, eg, levelling a secondary sacrificial character you plan to force to seek Mr Eaten’s Name. fondly regards Brother Weft with an enigmatic smile and whispers &quotSoon… soon.&quot

Loitering doesn’t give you suspicion points; it only drops your Making Waves and Connected:Society.

&quotA reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely&quot