How to GET a second nightmare?

Hey guys!

Absolutely love this game, can’t stop playing it. But I have an unusual request for help. Possible SPOILERS follow.

After several captains, I’m finally trying to tick off the Neathbow, and I’m officially good for everything except the Weeping Scar! To get it, I know you have to flush a nightmare down the toilet at the Chapel of Lights, as well as have Unaccountably Peckish (which I got from a random event at the Chapel).

My problem is - I’ve already had the Recurring Nightmare: Watched story (which I overcame immediately, reducing it to zero). I think I’ve also had the basic Nightmare story (I have returned to London with >50 Terror previously and it hasn’t occurred, so it probably happened aaaaaages ago).

Basically I’m wondering: do the Nightmare / Recurring Nightmare stories repeat? Or are both of them a one-off, meaning I’m probably screwed? Essentially my question is the opposite of the usual &quothow do I reduce Nightmare’s Strength&quot! I NEED NIGHTMARES DAMMIT.

Maybe there’s some other way of getting Nightmare’s Strength I haven’t discovered?

I would be devastated if I came so close to a new steam-yacht only to fail because I’m missing a nightmare - something no doubt very common in the Unterzee!

Many thanks for any replies :-)

Yep, Nightmares repeat. You won’t get one every time you came back to London with 50+ Terror, but there’s always a chance. Failing that, there are a couple of other sources of Gant - an item in Frostfound and the boss ship that sometimes appears near the Chelonate.

Brilliant - thank you so much! I’ve never been so happy to be a nightmare-riddled cannibal :-)

Avoiding terror reduction and returning to London every time you get near 85-90 terror got mine to 14 or so.

I don’t generally recommend it, as the Nightmare at that point is more than capable of killing you.

[quote=Gregg Johnson]Avoiding terror reduction and returning to London every time you get near 85-90 terror got mine to 14 or so.

I don’t generally recommend it, as the Nightmare at that point is more than capable of killing you.

How do you manage that even I’m running with my lights off most of the time and not getting above 50 like, ever.

Do you have to be like really careful to avoid terror reduction events?

…or use kingeater castle? :P

Uhhh. I usually have no problems getting Terror into the 80-90 range, sometimes several times per voyage. The problem comes afterwards, where I usually beat the Nightmare well before it gets to be dangerous (~5). This particular time I was conducting tests on different engines a short ways outside of London, so that was the most convenient location to deal with Terror. Coupled with a marked lack of Nightmare event cards, I quickly accrued 5 Nightmares, and then just kept gaining more (once you get to five other options that don’t reduce Nightmares become available).

What are you returning to London for? If other concerns (e.g. fuel, supplies) are driving you back to London before you reach 80-90 Terror, then you need to find a way to deal with them first.
edited by Olorin on 2/12/2015

I seem to recall on my last game managing to get a grand ONE Nightmare’s Strength and then churning straight to Chapel of Lights hoping desperately I wouldn’t get the storylet to get rid of the nightmare. XD I’ve never had a nightmare more than strength 2, actually, and that was one that went straight from 0-2.

A while back, I found myself with nightmare’s strength of 18 or so whenever I zailed around. I would crush multiple mutinies in a single trip around the then much smaller map