How to collect scraps?

So, how to collect many scraps?
I have about 300, and I do not manage to go further.

Asking Relickers to recertify is luck-based at 50%.
How is it even possible that there are options to turn in 600+ or 3000+ scraps? Has anyone ever done it?

It’s very doable, but takes a long time. Recertifying scraps isn’t a particularly efficient source either. The best ways are Call in Favours in the Flit with Urchins, the four-card lodgings cards, and a couple card options added by Fate stories.

Unless you prefer living in a Remote Location (e.g., the Dripstone Temple), you are going to get the Lodgings cards, so you may as well do them. They give between 1 and 3 Certifiable Scraps for the relevant storylet (usually the first one).

I agree with Optimatum about recertifying scraps. That’s inefficient because success is never guaranteed, and you lose scraps on a failure (the more scraps you tried to recertify, the more you’ll lose).
edited by cathyr19355 on 4/23/2019

Refreshing your deck can help, as it increases the likelihood of drawing cards that gives Certifiable Scraps, especially the Frequent frequency 4-card lodging cards. This helps also with increasing your intake of Favours from the Urchins, and it helps with calling in those Favours for scraps as well.

Once I got to a certain point in the game, I wanted as many scraps as possible. In order to do this, I got every lodging and churned opportunity cards in the Flit. This way you’ll get scraps from every card and have access to the Flit Favors card for the aforementioned Urchins option.

Opinions will vary widely on whether or not gambling with the Relickers is worth it.

J-

Is it possible? Yes. I got the Breath of the Void from the Shivering Relicker earlier this year, and have been averaging about 300 scraps a month since.

To add to what’s already been said: the Bazaar lodgings are the best option, if you can make the Persuasive check. It gives 4 scrap per time, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, the Sulky Bat is worth noting as a scrap source. It gives you 3 scraps on a 50% luck check (really a bit under 50%, since there’s a rare success that gives a Bat with Attitude instead); with an average of 1.5 scraps it is better and much cheaper than many of the lodgings. Since bats have other uses (and the other option on the card gives a Game favour), it’s an important part of this balanced scrap-hoarding.

Thank you all! That was very informative.

In my experience, dealing with the Relickers is too unreliable, so I will stick to:

• Lodgings cards
  • Flit Favours’ card
  • Sulky Bat (wow I had no idea of this)

If you have all three top-tier lodgings (4 or 5 cards), then, with extreme card shuffling, you can average at 40-50 scraps per day. Granted, I use deck refresh method for this, but even without that, 20-30 per day should be in range.

I actually just reached 3200 scraps a few days ago. (And of course none of the relicker cards have turned up since, but that’s just the RNG being its lovely self.) It definitely took a long time, though that’s with using some up every so often for one reason or another.

The bat rules! One of my favourite cards, which has brought forth several attitudinally challenged other bats over time – seven, I believe.

[quote=Meradine Heidenreich]The bat rules! One of my favourite cards, which has brought forth several attitudinally challenged other bats over time – seven, I believe.[/quote]Gotta pump those numbers!
Sold some, one converted and 17 at the moment! To 77!

I’d recommend NOT buying all of the lodgings - and mainly go for the top-tier ones (edit: Plus any that you like, of course! I’m not here to make those decisions for you. ^_^ )
That way, you’ve got more chance of getting the Opportunity cards you want - rather than having your deck diluted with cards that only give 1 scrap at best.

edited by Kittenpox on 4/18/2019

On the topic of drawing cards, I would recommend drawing them one at a time. So if you were residing in a Lodgings that has 4 cards as your maximum ‘hand’ size (5-card lodgings exist too), then you’d keep 3 cards in your hand and draw one to fill the empty slot.
Then, play one of the 4 cards you have available, and draw the next card. :-)

The cards in your hand are unique, so you can’t draw another copy of a card that is already available to you. This can be very handy for when certain cards are showing up more often than you’d like.

I remember reading about the draw-one-card technique at the beginning, on I’m a candle, I think. Very useful. And roll on the day when they fix the issue with cards cropping up more frequently, the more conditions they have attached. (I think I understood that correctly…)

Many schools of thought here! I’m of the opinion that every little bit counts, so I take all the 1 scrap actions too. I’ve already completed my first collection of 3200 scrap items and am in the midst of collecting a second set of spares. It’s taken a while - been at it for maybe 3 years on and off. I’m usually camped out in the Flit for the call in favours card (urchins option), play all lodgings scraps cards, and the sulky bat card. Very occasionally, a surprise package will provide some scraps too. It’s slow, but coupled with grinding for other things (like echoes for cider) and playing normally, it’s not too bad.

[quote=Kittenpox]I’d recommend NOT buying all of the lodgings - and mainly go for the top-tier ones (edit: Plus any that you like, of course! I’m not here to make those decisions for you. ^_^ )
That way, you’ve got more chance of getting the Opportunity cards you want - rather than having your deck diluted with cards that only give 1 scrap at best.

edited by Kittenpox on 4/18/2019[/quote]

Actually,I have all the 1-scrap Lodgings, because they were the easiest option to become a POSI…

Nevermind, it’s a slow climb but my number of scraps is increasing (now 320. Waiting on Urchin favours for the Flit card)
edited by Netos Korlan on 4/23/2019

Problem is, once you’re done collecting the scraps (and after getting all four items there’s pretty much no use for them, unless you really want to go for multiple sets) you’d need to go about a third of the way through SMEN to restore your deck to a more sanitary condition. And that’s only possible if you haven’t completed SMEN before.

[quote=Siankan]Is it possible? Yes. I got the Breath of the Void from the Shivering Relicker earlier this year, and have been averaging about 300 scraps a month since.

To add to what’s already been said: the Bazaar lodgings are the best option, if you can make the Persuasive check. It gives 4 scrap per time, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, the Sulky Bat is worth noting as a scrap source. It gives you 3 scraps on a 50% luck check (really a bit under 50%, since there’s a rare success that gives a Bat with Attitude instead); with an average of 1.5 scraps it is better and much cheaper than many of the lodgings. Since bats have other uses (and the other option on the card gives a Game favour), it’s an important part of this balanced scrap-hoarding.[/quote]

I’ve gotten the 680 Scrap items, but not the 3200 Scrap items, because as I was starting to work my way up to those, I got caught up in grinding Making Waves to achieve Paramount Presence. I’m trying to build my stock of Scraps up again, but it’s a slow process.

Kudos to Siankan for pointing out the Sulky Bat card; it is a good source for Scraps.

Yes, to an extent. Scraps can always be converted to cash by trading in on the less expensive options, which can then be sold. I’m not saying it’s efficient, but it is a way to make use of those Lodging cards. Also, if you’re going for a full set of top-tier Scrap rewards and just starting out, then you’ve probably got a multi-year project in front of you, which dampens the worry over what to do with them when that’s all done. Thirdly, several of the one-scrap Lodgings have useful options for those grinding MW, so they’re useful for PP hopefuls to have independently of their scrap value. If you have reached the point that you have obviated the need for scraps and MW, there’s a fair chance you’re either pursuing SMEN or Cider, since there’s little else you won’t have accomplished by then. It’s also possible, if in no way guaranteed, that by the time you’ve wrung all the reasonable use out of those cards, the long-hoped-for &quotsell the Lodgings&quot option will have finally appeared.

In short, if you are focusing chiefly on scraps for the next year or three, all the Lodgings increase the density of useful cards in the deck.
If you are focusing chiefly on MW for the next year or three, a select number of Lodgings increase the density of useful cards in the deck.
If you are focusing on neither, buy as few residences as possible on your way to the Bazaar.