How much to keep of basic resources...

As my stat-scores slowly rise past 60 and towards the high 80’s, I find myself with large piles of various… stuff lying around. Rostygold and Deep Amber, Jade Fragments and Moon Pearls, Cryptic Clues and Glim…

Every now and then, I need some for something. But rarely much. However, I’ve encountered opportunity-cards that called for 1000 Foxfire Candle Stubs or Nevercold Brass, which has made me a tad paranoid about holding on to other stuff too. What if I suddenly run into something that requires 2000 Rostygold? Then I’d be really sad about having sold most of it, wouldn’t I…

Hence, I turn to more experienced souls for advice. As already mentioned, I know to hold on to large quantities of Nevercold Brass and Foxfire Candles, and I like to keep a hefty stockpile of Glim for fueling archeological expeditions by way of the Pewter Tankard… but I have no idea if the rest of the stuff might eventually come in handy in hefty amounts. So, how much of those simple matters should I keep stocked for a rainy day, and how much can I safely sell for Echoes?

10K Rostygold is needed for a Gang of Hoodlums later, so I’d keep at least that much at hand if you have an insane amount. Also Rostygold is needed for funding expeditions as well, so yeah.

Keeping some Deep Amber at hand is good for those occasional gambling situations, but mainly the Tower of Sparrows opp card. You only need 20 or so for that, admittedly.

Moon Pearls have almost no use outside of buying carnival tickets or exchanging for Nevercold Brass at Mahogany Hall, I believe.

Cryptic Clues can be upconverted into nice items to boost Making Waves later on, which will be important for Notability, and if you save them til next year, you can probably buy a lot of Glasses of Teeth.

Nevercold Brass is almost always safe to sell. The opportunity cards requiring 1000 of an item aren’t of much use in general. Rats also safe to sell most of, once you’ve gotten into the Labyrinth of Tigers.

Hmm… so, sell off Deep Amber and Moon Pearls down to a bare minimum - a few hundred or so - but keep the Cryptic Clues for refinement, and the Rostygold for later payments. That about cover it?

I assume Jade Fragments are also more useful for refinement than sale.

Anything you can convert is generally worth keeping. After that it depends - some pets use resources; it might be worth trading rostygold; amber or jade to the Tiger Keeper if you need whispered secrets.

I can’t think of anything that uses Nevercold Brass off hand.

At the point you’re at in the game my best advice would be this: HORDE EVERYTHING!!!

Your gradually approaching becoming a Person of Some Importance and not only does that process have some material requirements but many of the things that POSIhood opens up require large amounts of stuff. You’ll save yourself a lot of grinding if you hang on to as many random materials as possible.

As has been mentioned, there are some things that don’t really come up later in the game so your safe letting it go. But as a general rule try to hang on to as much as you can. Grinding echoes is easier as a POSI so unless your getting impatient with the march to 100 in each stat I’d advise hording as much as possible and waiting until your past the jump and have a better sense of what you will and won’t need to start selling things off.

[quote=An Individual]At the point you’re at in the game my best advice would be this: HORDE EVERYTHING!!!

[…]You’ll save yourself a lot of grinding if you hang on to as many random materials as possible.

[…]But as a general rule try to hang on to as much as you can.[/quote]

First, This.

Second, simply try to never sell anything that you cannot easily get back.
That means, you’re safe selling anything you can actually buy at the Bazaar. The worst that can happen is you have to buy it back at a loss. Also, as a POSI you’ll have some serious grinding options for getting the low-level, first-tier goods (Brass, Jade etc.)

That means, whenever you need money, start by selling the low-tier goods first… and see above.

Edit: Just in case that wasn’t totally clear, never sell anything unless you actually need the money!
edited by Reshemin on 3/25/2015

Quick question. Why do you need the echoes? If you need something, sell easily grindable goods like glim, gold, jade, etc. If you don’t need anything hold. I suppose I’m echoing Reshemin here, but a pocket full of echoes is way less valuable than, say, a pair of spiderchitin gloves if you have a use for them.

I looked at his profile- a lot of his gear is still at the +2 point where it can still be worthwhile to upgrade again. if he has resources to spare, i would sell some of them- but in the order you guys reccomended-
also, @blake, stuff that upcrafts is good to sell last- even if you don’t need it, you might need the stuff it turns into. don’t sell anything if you don’t either have 2 or more of, or there’s no indication of a significant use on the wiki. after you factor that in, if you still are lacking in resources, sell stuff you can get easily. if you still need more money, sell stuff in general. I personally prefer to start with expensive items availible from upcrafts- the 12.5 echo items that you can get from upcraft chains- not trembling amber or magnificent diamonds. if you still need stuff, consider looking at the wiki and calculating how many of an item you’ll ever need, and selling any more you have than that. also, if you want to go money grinding and have a high someone is comming, robbing drunk rats has decent epa if you don’t use someone is comming much, and if you do, its rare success might still make it worthwhile- it gives you a ratwork watch, the ideal watchful weapon for sale in the bazaar- and it sells for 230 echoes, if you get a second. on the other hand, it’s irksomely rare.
edited by Grenem on 3/25/2015

Well, as Grenem said, I mostly want to make some echos so I can upgrade my gear. At the very least, I’d like to have something for each stat in each slot.

Incidentally, speaking of making echoes, I’ve heard ‘Making the bat disappear’ from the ‘Entertaining the Topsy King’ option in The Flit mentioned as a perfect money-making option, and I’m just about the right level of Shadowy to start trying it… but based on the wiki, it just awards a Bundle of Oddities. Which means I’ll still be in a ‘keep it or sell it’ situation, no?

That’s kinda backwards. Robbing drunk rats is what gives value to someone-is-comming on other cards.
For me, that value is just under 50 pences (calculated with capped stats, all shadowy bazaar-bought equipment, no proffesion-shadowy-equipment, and an opportunity cost of 150ppa) just from the coins, and smothing like 80 if you assume the ratwork watch is a 1% rare chance. With a nice bonus every time a capering relicker brings me gifts (those last 10 points are worth 100 pences each, if I can align my drunk rats to not waste any points of someone-is-coming).
Interestingly, if you have lower stats, you get fewer coins from each burglary - but you also have lower opportunity cost, so your value of someone-is-coming does not drop as fast as you would think. And the watch is still a 1% chance, no matter how low your stats are.

This is something to think about when evaluating things like profitability of conflict cards.

That’s kinda backwards. Robbing drunk rats is what gives value to someone-is-comming on other cards.
For me, that value is just under 50 pences (calculated with capped stats, all shadowy bazaar-bought equipment, no proffesion-shadowy-equipment, and an opportunity cost of 150ppa) just from the coins, and smothing like 80 if you assume the ratwork watch is a 1% rare chance. With a nice bonus every time a capering relicker brings me gifts (those last 10 points are worth 100 pences each, if I can align my drunk rats to not waste any points of someone-is-coming).
Interestingly, if you have lower stats, you get fewer coins from each burglary - but you also have lower opportunity cost, so your value of someone-is-coming does not drop as fast as you would think. And the watch is still a 1% chance, no matter how low your stats are.

This is something to think about when evaluating things like profitability of conflict cards.[/quote]
also, don’t forget, on failure you get a corpse worth 2.5 echoes and 2 points wounds- not a bad deal, for a failure- that’s actually a higher echo payout than a normal success.