How important is the whisper-locked box?

In Fallen London I read ‘give a bonus to your next captain’, emphasis NEXT, as implying it would only give a small bonus for one captain, ever. Nope, seems like it unlocks a storyline I’ve now locked myself out of. :(

How bad should I feel, and will there ever be another way to do this storyline for those of us who picked a different option?

How bad should you feel:

I just started up a new captain, and focused on the WLB to see what delicious new content it contained. It sent me wheeling from one end of the map to the other, chasing down the next person who could help me unravel the box, until finally I learned the secret to opening it. Inside was … checks screenshots folder … I then promptly forgot to screenshot the delicious content I was receiving, soo … I seem to recall about 1000-1500 echoes worth of goods?

More to the point, it was a nice little storyline to follow, playing a game of “I wonder what’s in the box?!” If this were FL content, I’d compare it to a 5-10 Nex story unlock.

I do not know if/where/when another option to get that metaquality may surface. Admins might be a better source of that info.

[quote=Zee! ]How bad should you feel:

I just started up a new captain, and focused on the WLB to see what delicious new content it contained. It sent me wheeling from one end of the map to the other, chasing down the next person who could help me unravel the box, until finally I learned the secret to opening it. Inside was … checks screenshots folder … I then promptly forgot to screenshot the delicious content I was receiving, soo … I seem to recall about 1000-1500 echoes worth of goods?

More to the point, it was a nice little storyline to follow, playing a game of &quotI wonder what’s in the box?!&quot If this were FL content, I’d compare it to a 5-10 Nex story unlock.

I do not know if/where/when another option to get that metaquality may surface. Admins might be a better source of that info.[/quote]

Soooo … very bad. Damn.

It’s actually pretty nice for complete newbie starter captains too: 100 echoes on day one is more useful than 1500 echoes later on when you don’t have any legacies and the like.

I disagree

A cheap judgments egg for crafting the Memento Mori is probably more useful than some extra fuel early on when you still have stuff like the blind bruisers gifts and beginners luck to fund you.

That said, it could be worth doing on a new captain if the player is also new to the game since it’s a lot harder to know how to make profit at that point.

But also I believe you could create a new Fallen London account entirely and sell the box there and then link that account to sunless sea and get the storyline, since it doesn’t have any prerequisite.

edited by WormApotheote on 2/9/2015

Do you just need to use the same email address in Sunless Sea and in a FL account to connect the two, or do you need to do other things? because I have never got any crossover things (panther kitten, the box, etc.) up to now, and yet the email is the same…

The account you’re entering is a fallen london account, so if its using the same email that should get you the stuff.

You do need to download updates though.
edited by WormApotheote on 2/9/2015

As far as I know the only things you need to get crossover items are

1. same email and linking
  2. Get new stories after you have collected whatever crossover item has become available
  3. Keep in mind that they only become available to new (or legacy) captains so you don’t get the benefit on an established character.
    edited by reveurciel on 2/9/2015

I disagree

A cheap judgments egg for crafting the Memento Mori is probably more useful than some extra fuel early on when you still have stuff like the blind bruisers gifts and beginners luck to fund you.

That said, it could be worth doing on a new captain if the player is also new to the game since it’s a lot harder to know how to make profit at that point.

But also I believe you could create a new Fallen London account entirely and sell the box there and then link that account to sunless sea and get the storyline, since it doesn’t have any prerequisite.

edited by WormApotheote on 2/9/2015[/quote]

By Newbie, I mean that the player doesn’t know the game. This game is murderous to starter players, because typical strategies for a new game (play it safe, avoid early conflict, don’t explore too far until you’re strong enough, trade to get some cash under your belt) are heavily punished. Attempts to trade (i.e. get more cash) more so than most, as it kills you slowly and you don’t know you’re dead until it is way too late and lost way too much time on a losing strategy. Those extra 100 echoes will make that first life a LOT easier than a super weapon that you can only get once you know the game and know how to play. Let’s face it, you’re not even going to find Irem on your first life unless you’re ridiculously lucky or do a lot of reading in the forums and on the wiki.

As for the blind bruiser, I tried his mission, ended up with a cargo of contraband I couldn’t take into London, headed north to find Mt Palmerston (or however it is spelt) and ran straight into the toughest mob in the game, who one-shotted me. It isn’t a easy-mode track to success, and as this game is about RP and character as much as it is about exploration, not all captains want to smuggle souls or commit similar atrocities.

Well yes, but surely not without losing all my other linkages?

Since the quality for ‘gave it to a zee-captain’ is the highest, at 100, and the others are at 10 and 20, I would really hope/want to see an option in the future (even fate-locked) for ‘pick it up from unclaimed lost property’ or ‘buy it back from the blind bruiser’ to get another chance to give it to the captain.

Anyone official-esque care to comment if there’s any chance of that?

1. Can someone spell out the exact series of choices that leads to getting the Judgment Egg from this? I’ve done it two or three times now with different choices, all the way to the end with the Widower, and never seem to get egg.

2. Asking for a friend – if you didn’t pick the &quotgive it to a zee-captain&quot option in FL, are you forever locked out of getting it in SS?
    edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 2/14/2015

Except you get the same item from successfully shuffling tomb colonists around, and have to reach the same final, faraway destination in either case. I mean, the box is nice, but for your first 1-2 captains the 100 echoes (or whatever the reward is for selling it at the second stop) might be nicer.

[quote=Dr. Hieronymous Alloy]2) Asking for a friend – if you didn’t pick the &quotgive it to a zee-captain&quot option in FL, are you forever locked out of getting it in SS?
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 2/14/2015[/quote]

Probably not forever, but effectively I think the answer is yes, as the next time they’re likely to show up is next Christmas. If your friend is still playing then, they will probably be able to get one.

He’s talking about the Whisper-Locked Box, not the Soothe & Cooper Long-Box.

D’oh. Sorry about that. Too many boxes. Yeah, it might come back, and a Christmas code isn’t out of the question, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.

I’ve unlocked this item from Fallen London and synchonized my accounts, but I’ve never seen the Whisper-locked Box in Sunless Sea, despite starting several new games. Is this bugged somehow, or am I missing something?

Which choice did you make about it in Fallen London?

I made the ‘Give it to a Zee-Captain’ choice and have this quality under my Story:

I haven’t seen any ‘story updating’ from Sunless Sea since I made that choice in Fallen London, but don’t know exactly how the game goes about syncing with Fallen London, or where I would look among the game files to check the status of that.

Is it supposed to simply appear in your inventory as a Curiosity upon starting a new game?
Curious, indeed…
edited by Kanukki on 3/17/2015

Yep, you’re waiting for the next story update to sync your accounts. There is a way to trigger this to happen, with the usual warnings that editing one’s game files is completely unsupported and that it might cause your game to turn into a ravening bug-beast and devour you messily - go to config.json in (if you’re using Windows) AppData/LocalLow/Failbetter Games/Sunless Sea; find the line “ForceDownload”, and change “false” to “true”.

Aha, that explains it then. I’ll try this manual hack out on another install I have on my laptop. Cheers for that!

EDIT: Works! The Whisper-Lock Puzzle-Box has appeared. Many thanks.
edited by Kanukki on 3/17/2015