How do you recover a lost soul?

Yesterday, i sold my soul to the Quiet Deviless, because i want to never be bothered by that pair again, and their constant infestation of my opportunity deck. Now I face the daunting task of recovering my soul, something i’ve never done before.

From a bit of researching, i understand that a soul can, at least, be recovered by finding it in a Bundle of Oddities (value 200, which greatly restricts which bundles can contain it)

I’ve heard whispers and rumours here and there, of other possible methods. I recall reaing somewhere about a short storyline that would recover one’s soul.
So please do tell, what are my options for retrieving my soul?

There’s an Unusual Frequency card which, for a bit of Fate, can start you on the path to find your soul. The Fate cost increases each time you use this option (i.e. if you keep reselling your soul).

curious. Is there any other reward to that aside from soul recovery?
are there any other/nonfate methods of retrieving it?

There are a few minor, non-unique rewards along the way, but costs as well. High watchful helps, as does having been through the Soul Trade. It initially costs 15 Fate, rising to 20, and eventually 50.

For Bundles of Oddities, your best bets are: dispersing the crowd from the &quotone’s public&quot card; calling in favours in the flit with the urchins; trading Fourth City rags with the Ragman if you draw his card in Wolfstack; piracy on the high zees from the &quotthose engines don’t sound healthy&quot card; and doing a Light-Fingered heist with your Noman, more or less in that order of goodness. A lot of people prefer the piracy option since these are all card-based, and that one can be drawn more easily out at zee than the others can in London.

You can also rely on getting gifts from players (or the Notability card) but that would also take quite a lot of card draws for gift exchanges, and has a 1/1000 chance of giving you your soul back, so it’s probably not worth it unless you have a lot of magnanimous friends. Hmm hm.
edited by metasynthie on 2/22/2016

[quote=metasynthie]
You can also rely on getting gifts from players (or the Notability card) but that would also take quite a lot of card draws for gift exchanges, and has a 1/1000 chance of giving you your soul back, so it’s probably not worth it unless you have a lot of magnanimous friends. Hmm hm.
edited by metasynthie on 2/22/2016[/quote]
It’s actually 1 in 1008
I did some math, and made a spreadsheet to see the probability of getting your soul back, with increasing numbers of boxes opened:

by the time you’ve opened 1000 boxes, the odds rise to about 62%
so yea, it’s probably not a very reliable method :P

I do however have lots of magnanimous friends, we trade gift boxes all the time, so i’ll get there eventually. Still it seems like these boxes aren’t the best way
I’m not fond of robbery, but the piracy thing seems like the most reliable one D:
edited by Nanako on 2/22/2016

By the way, if you recover your soul with the Fate option (or any other option for that matter), does that mean your infernal lovers come back ?

I sold my soul for a Fabulous Diamond (I regret absolutely nothing, that diamond is so fabulously shiny ! Was my soul shiny ? Definitely not), and now I’m thinking that I might as well get it back, but I really hated that clutter in my opportunity deck…

If you sold your soul for a Fabulous Diamond and get it back, the Intimate Devils will reappear, yes. The only ways to keep them out of your deck:

• sell your soul to them (this permanently removes them)
  • keep your Connected:Hell lower than 3
  • have no soul (due to selling it) or a stained soul

Sylvester a long time ago sold his soul to The Affectionate Devil, after which the Intimate of Devils quality rose to 20 and the relevant cards no longer appear. Then he got his soul back from the Urchins, when the range of value from bundles opened by joining Urchins’ games was greater. Sylvester’s An Intimate of Devils quality remained at 20 after getting his soul back, so those cards have not made a return. Because of this, I thought there’d be no way to ever affect his AIoD quality again, until I tried the Meeting Someone There option in A Dance with Devils this Feast. It is possible to get that quality higher than 20. Theoretically it is also possible to increase it to 20 without selling your soul, during Feasts. And I remember someone saying they’ve accomplished that.

On the subject of getting your soul back, I think robbing ships on the Zee is a good choice given the range and the frequency of the card. But you will have to deal with suspicion a lot.

If one re-acquires their soul via Bundle of Oddities, will it affect the Fate cost of re-purchasing your Soul?

I lost mine maybe a year and a half ago, and as of recently am considering aiming for 50 Fabulous Diamonds - though mostly through grinding.
Am I better off doing the Fate-based Soul-recovery process before my soul returns via a Bundle of Oddities, or will it make no difference as far as total Fate-expenditure is concerned?

(I don’t know how best to articulate this - but if I got my soul back a bunch of times by Oddities and an equal number of times by Fate, would the order in which these occurred make any difference?)
edited by Kittenpox on 2/24/2016

Bundle of Oddities does not effect the Fate cost.

Excellent. Thankyou! :-D