How Do I Not Die?

Ah, and here I thought I had to unlock it in some way before I die… ;)

Dreads are down near Kingeaters…

I found one near the Iron Republic.

And by the empire of hands, too.[li]

[quote=Fretling]Not at the moment, though all bets are off the table for the future.

Your legacy is chosen after you die.[/quote]

When you die (or retire or end the game in any way) you are given a choice of taking half a stat - Iron also lets you take a weapon; Veils and Mirrors give you half your echoes; Hearts lets you take an officer and Pages lets you keep your map. But if you have a scion you can choose two.

If you have a townhouse or mansion and a will you keep those along with any heirlooms you might have made. Be sure to remember to write a new will before heading out to Zee though

Also if you die, (not retire or take one of the other end game options), you open up another area in Fallen London.

Then there are legacy items that can be picked up here and there in game which give you +25 to a stat for your next and future characters.

I’ve seen them in the southwestern and southeastern corners, mostly.

I should start taking notes… At which ports can one reduce Terror for money? I did not find a list or anything on the wiki, so I’m asking here. ;)

I’m currently anchored at Port Cavendish/Isle of Cats with Terror 90, and I really don’t know where to go next without hitting 100 on the way… of course, I can just save and try, but I’ve been in this situation a few times already and I really want to become better prepared ;)

Dying would be really inopportune at the moment ;)

Given where you are I would play through Visage to get -10 Terror and you could just hang around and wait for SAY to turn up as often as necessary to get you to safety.

Not knowing what else is close on your map I can’t help with other nearby locations.

But having tea with the factor at Demeaux gives a small terror decrease; talking to the squatters at Frostfound reduces by 10; taking coffee to Irem gives either 10 or 20; certain options at Varchas also reduce terror; there is an option at the Mangrove college; giving hunting trophies to the sisters at Abbey Rock. The ones where you give echoes include The Chelonate; Polythreme; Whither; Venderbight; Shepherd Isles and Port Carnelian.

I’m sure that isn’t all of them but good luck and I hope you survive.
edited by reveurciel on 2/17/2015

[quote=lady ciel ]Given where you are I would play through Visage to get -10 Terror and you could just hang around and wait for SAY to turn up as often as necessary to get you to safety.

Not knowing what else is close on your map I can’t help with other nearby locations.

But having tea with the factor at Demeaux gives a small terror decrease; talking to the squatters at Frostfound reduces by 10; taking coffee to Irem gives either 10 or 20; certain options at Varchas also reduce terror; there is an option at the Mangrove college; giving hunting trophies to the sisters at Abbey Rock. The ones where you give echoes include The Chelonate; Polythreme; Whither; Venderbight; Shepherd Isles and Port Carnelian.[/quote]

Thanks for the list! Visage was quite nearby, so I should’ve gone there - but I was only certain about Frostfound, Demeaux and Port Carnelian. The first two were out of the question, so I went for P.C. and made it on the third try - with Terror 98 and Hull 40/300. That was quite a ride! :)

Well the Isle of Cats and Visage are in the same tile so that was the obvious one. By the way if you don’t mind save scumming you can reduce terror by 5 at the Grand Geode but it can also significantly increase your terror and the same at Fathomkings - both are really a gamble though.

Haha, nice!

Kingeater Castle also technically has an option to use some items to reduce terror, which is surprisingly cost effective, considering everything else that can happen there :)

I’m also a little suspicious that there might be something else going wrong with the game, making too many enemies - I’ve had that sort of problem before, too many Megalops near Mutton Island, once there were five Lifebergs at once in the area around Whither (that was Fun!), but it sounds like your game’s problem is much worse.

Like, you mentioned Bound-Sharks near the Iron Republic, right? But they shouldn’t spawn there at all, unless they were from the area just east of the Iron Republic and followed you over or something.

Also, if you take a look at any videos of someone else playing the game, do their ships seem to be moving way faster than yours, all the time? Better engines or nimbler ships (and temporary boosts from Full Power) can make a difference, but if it seems very different, there might be something else going on. Especially if your ship can’t go fast enough to get out of a whirlpool at all. There are some known bugs that slow things to a crawl, which could make things far harder than they should be.

For terror reduction by port, I just threw this together:

The best ones are those at the edges. The random tiles are less reliable.

edit: good lord - someone needs to edit the width/height parameters on youtube embeds.
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/18/2015

[quote=Impish Axile]I’m also a little suspicious that there might be something else going wrong with the game, making too many enemies - I’ve had that sort of problem before, too many Megalops near Mutton Island, once there were five Lifebergs at once in the area around Whither (that was Fun!), but it sounds like your game’s problem is much worse.

Like, you mentioned Bound-Sharks near the Iron Republic, right? But they shouldn’t spawn there at all, unless they were from the area just east of the Iron Republic and followed you over or something.

Also, if you take a look at any videos of someone else playing the game, do their ships seem to be moving way faster than yours, all the time? Better engines or nimbler ships (and temporary boosts from Full Power) can make a difference, but if it seems very different, there might be something else going on. Especially if your ship can’t go fast enough to get out of a whirlpool at all. There are some known bugs that slow things to a crawl, which could make things far harder than they should be.[/quote]
I only had these problems while I played the HB version of the game, once I switched to Steam the ever-spawning enemies were completely gone!
Also, I’ve come to believe that the fact I could not outrun enemies in my early games was mostly due to my own clumsiness when handling the controls…

About the maelstroms: I don’t think you can get out of them with the starting ship once you’re really stuck. Can’t say for sure though, I’ve learned to avoid the things since ;)

And the Iron Republic is a bit funny sometimes… I recently even saw a Lorn-fluke not too far away from it. The place just invites all kinds of madness ;)