How Do I Not Die?

I’d like to start by saying that I’ve more or less read this whole forum, at least everything that’s related to How To Play The Game.

Theoretically, I know what I should be doing. Practically, I have this very serious problem:

EVERYTHING’S OUT TO KILL ME!

So far, 6 captains have given their lives more or less pointlessly, without achieving anything. I haven’t explored even half of the map, and I’ve been nowhere near affording a Mansion, meaning I have to start all over again every time.

Why?

Because when I’m not busy getting killed, I’m busy hiding from something/someone that wants to kill me. I’ve been killed by pirates, jellyfish, bats, ever-spawning crabs, GIANT crabs, GIANTER sharks… everything. And no, I’m not looking for combat, I’m trying to run away from it! Only it’s not working! (example: &quotPhew, glad I’ve managed to outrun these pirates. Now, let’s get on with exploring-- oh, no, a monster-crab! Turn the other way, quickly— waaah, a Bound-Shark!&quot - Dead.)

It’s very frustrating reading some posts on this forum about how EASY this game is and how there are no really dangerous enemies… WHAT? Are we playing the same game?

Also, playing on Merciful mode doesn’t really help me because saving only really makes sense once you’re out of danger and I rarely am. And continuous manual saving breaks my world-immersion anyway…
edited by phryne on 5/29/2015

Raise your Veils. Turn your lights off.
edited by Olorin on 2/14/2015

What exactly is killing you, and how high is your Veils?

Use F/Full Power

I thiiiiink exploding is percent damage to your hull and it’s not super common, just if you see something tough, kill your lights, and use F to rush past it; unless you’re running straight at a zee beast, charge isn’t likely to connect with full power on even with the starting ship, and one shot from a ship shouldn’t kill you.

If you started as an urchin that should be enough to avoid pretty much any unwanted combat, which early on will be most of it.

Also if you side with the rats in pigmote they’ll heal your ship when you visit which can help with lighter damage (heavier damage just call in admiralty favours)

(You can also break monster ai by running your ship right up next to them, and snuggle them to death, which is probably part of why people are saying monsters are too easy.)
edited by WormApotheote on 2/14/2015

Seriously? But don’t the jellyfish and the crabs need to be close to inflict damage?

They do, but they get confused when you’re right alongside (NB I’ve not exploited this, so I’m not entirely sure whether for zeebeasties you need to snuggle them from a particular angle - i.e. out of the way of the claws! I have noted that if you go alongside a pirate as if for a boarding action you can broadside them to death without them thinking to return the damage).

Certain backgrounds make a huge difference, especially if you’re struggling with beasties: but I’d second the recommendation to embrace the Urchin past and go with avoiding enemies until you get the hang of things. AND turn the lights off - the combination of that with Veils should be enough to put most beasties off your scent.

To your point on never feeling safe - I’m not sure you ever do at zee ;) So it is a choice to save as often as you feel you can without losing your immersion rather than waiting for a point where it feels like you’d hate to lose what you’ve got. Saving does let you try things out without losing your progress - I think this is what got me to a tipping point where I stopped dying ALL THE TIME (whilst reading other Early Access players boast about their frigates and dreadnoughts - just fantasies for my poor captains!) and into a place where I could quite confidently go exploring. And when I say quite confidently, I was still pretty sure I was about to die ;)

From an immersion perspective, I don’t think I’ve ever played a game where dying was part of the learning curve before. I’m still a bit weird about the fact that going all out to explore the edge tiles (because they’re the ones that don’t shuffle) and not caring if you die once you know what’s there is a valid strategy rather than a cheat. But embracing it does help… so I guess that’s my other recommendation: explore up and down the coast and cut back to London diagonally (once you start going along the northern/southern edges) to get a glimpse of what’s out at zee - you learn more that is useful for you in the future. And there are other ports where fuel/food is affordable in the far north and far south.
edited by imyril on 2/14/2015
edited by imyril on 2/14/2015

That’s exactly how I feel at the moment! ;)

Thanks for the advice, I admit I mostly tried to go north-east from Hunter’s Keep until now. I’ll try and stick to the coastline. And I’ve read how some things are much cheaper at other ports, like fuel at the Iron Republic, only I’ve never made it so far. My logbook said &quotYou’re entering the waters around the Iron Republic&quot twice. The first time I got stuck in that maelstrom (Adam’s Curse?) and couldn’t defend myself against the Unfinished Pirates who found me there. The second time I immediately got attacked by two(!) Bound-Sharks…

Something I’d also like to know: apart from the repair-at-zee option which eats your supplies, can you repair your ship anywhere else than in London?
edited by phryne on 2/14/2015

If you’ve sided with the rats on Pigmote Island, they can repair your ship to some extent, or you can trade a Live Specimen to the Fathomking for repairs.

[quote=phryne]
Thanks for the advice, I admit I mostly tried to go north-east from Hunter’s Keep until now. I’ll try and stick to the coastline. And I’ve read how some things are much cheaper at other ports, like fuel at the Iron Republic, only I’ve never made it so far. My logbook said &quotYou’re entering the waters around the Iron Republic&quot twice. The first time I got stuck in that maelstrom (Adam’s Curse?) and couldn’t defend myself against the Unfinished Pirates who found me there. The second time I immediately got attacked by two(!) Bound-Sharks…

Something I’d also like to know: apart from the repair-at-zee option which eats your supplies, can you repair your ship anywhere else than in London?
edited by phryne on 2/14/2015[/quote]

The only other repair options are at the Fathomking’s lair (but it requires Live specimens) and Pigmote Island once you complete the story events,

I have no idea how you managed to die while looking for the Iron republic. Just run south sticking close to the coast with your lights always off.
I started as an urchin and I’ve always been able to outrun/stealth through any enemy in the game.
edited by Everett on 2/14/2015

Ok, well, if you’re dying that much, the first thing I’d recommend is to pursue the questlines for the Hearts and Iron and Veils Legacies. None of those three require going very far at all from London, you can do them with starting characters pretty quickly, and they’ll give all future captains a benefit.

Past that, you’re probably doing something wrong but it’s hard to say what without watching you play.

You may just have a bad computer (or a glitched one – mine has this bug and isn’t bad at all) which makes it very difficult for you to turn and maneuver due to the bug that links turning rates and FPS (which should be getting fixed in the next patch). This is also why the snuggle trick with monsters works for some people but not others – some people have fast enough computers to pull it off, others don’t. And the problem gets worse the further into the game you get and the more map you uncover.

It’s indeed strange that you have so many problems in escaping enemies… mind you, it can always happen, a small misestimation of a distance, and… But in my experience that’s the exception more than the rule. Usually if you continue sailing (even without full speed) in the opposite direction of the enemy, you manage to get away from their action radius with relative ease and not much damage (if at all).
But perhaps I have a fast computer? I didn’t know it played such a role actually.

A cheap piece of advice, not the most elegant but if it can help one of your captains to survive a bit more: you’re in merciful mode, so save before you leave a port. It can happen sometimes you sail off… just in the wrong direction in the arms of some bad guy! Reload and try another road.

[quote=Dr. Hieronymous Alloy]
You may just have a bad computer (or a glitched one – mine has this bug and isn’t bad at all) which makes it very difficult for you to turn and maneuver due to the bug that links turning rates and FPS (which should be getting fixed in the next patch). This is also why the snuggle trick with monsters works for some people but not others – some people have fast enough computers to pull it off, others don’t. And the problem gets worse the further into the game you get and the more map you uncover.[/quote]

I’m playing on a brand-new laptop which is quite fast in my opinion but I don’t know much about computers. I’ve been suspecting something like this for a while, especially because of the discrepancy between my game experience and that of some others. Like Everett’s post above:

[quote=Everett]
I have no idea how you managed to die while looking for the Iron republic. Just run south sticking close to the coast with your lights always off. I’ve always been able to outrun/stealth through any enemy in the game.[/quote]

That’s simply not true for me. Everytime I went south I immediately ran into trouble (mostly Megalops colonies that simply won’t stop spawning new crabs). I can outrun many enemies, yes, but I usually take some damage (maybe I just react slowly) and because I constantly run into enemies, the cumulative effect of these damages usually does me in before I can return to London.

Maybe I’m just especially clumsy (totally possible, as I said above I don’t often play these so-called &quotvideo games&quot ;) ) or suffering from some unknown bug/glitch. Anyway, I’ll give these Legacy runs a try, sounds like a good idea.

If they keep spawning infinite numbers, that’s a glitch. Do not kill any if you see an unusual number of them in one place, because that triggers more spawning.

To offset the effect of everyday damage, make sure you have lots of Favour with the Admiralty; those repairs are most reliable and affordable if you have lots of Favour.

It took me a while to get really comfortable with the controls, and I still crash into things on a semi-regular basis – I can’t play most platformers, that’s how bad my reflexes are – so have hope!

Ok yeah if you’re getting constantly spawning enemies every time you leave port you have a bugged game. Report it to the bug report email and attach your output log and system info.

Aha, many thanks for this advice! This happens mostly around Mutton Island, but I’ve seen it in other places, too.

I’m not the only one then? Thank heavens! Yes, I still confuse left and right sometimes, but not as often as in the beginning. My very first captain actually died when I missed the port at Hunter’s Keep and crashed into the island (ship was already damaged) ;)

Well, not everytime, and not everywhere, but Mutton Island is so bad, I’ve started avoiding it totally. I’ll try locating this output log, and then I’ll report it

[quote=phryne]

Well, not everytime, and not everywhere, but Mutton Island is so bad, I’ve started avoiding it totally. I’ll try locating this output log, and then I’ll report it
edited by phryne on 2/14/2015[/quote]

Follow the instructions in the links in this post: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8802-faq-and-bug-reports.aspx

I’ll shamelessly promote my starter video at the bottom of this post. But, here’s what’s worked for me. and, I should add, I’m great at starting, but not so good at the later game.

First character. Be a stranger. Buy nothing. Run the tomb colonist to venderbight. Don’t worry about stuff attacking you. Just use full power all the way. Back to London. Sell the training book and you should have 200 echoes. Buy the reproach. Sell all your fuel. Head out to zee. Die.

Pick the iron legacy and keep the weapon. Start your new character with the veteran background. You now do a minimum of 20 damage. Bats and Megalops are one-shot, and shouldn’t be able to touch you.

Sell your book. Buy as much mushroom wine as you can afford. Don’t fill up your crew. Run the colonist to venderbight again. Back to London, Load up 20 fuel and 10 supplies. Carouse in the docks, and try to find a sweetheart. Grab the admiralty commission. Pick a direction (ideally the rough direction the admiral wants you to go) and zet zail (sorry). Just go. Use &quotF&quot (full power) if anything scary comes close. But, as soon as you see something scary, turn off your lights. The idea of terror is much scarier than the actual mechanics. Plus, returning to London, it’s easy to manage down. Use the Zeebat to ping nearby islands. Visit them all. Grab as many port reports as you can. Don’t be afraid to practice fighting with pirates. Anything under 100 haelth shouldn’t be a problem. Turn off your lights as you approach. Stop until it’s circled to face away from you. Lights on, and let 'em have it.

Check all the shops. Buy fuel if it’s 20 or less. Buy all the officers. Click strange things and take insane risks. I find I get a lot of supplies on my first voyage - don’t be afraid to sell them if the price is right. The goal of this first voyage is to get 10+ port reports, uncover your first admiralty commission (150 echoes) and find the salt lions. Keep at least one secret, so you can unlock the university (wo)man.

If you’re very lucky, you’ll return from this first trip and find you have hundreds (perhaps thousands) of echos, plus all the port reports will give you lots of fuel. If you’ve been killing the odd pirate, you might have some other bits and pieces to trade/sell. As long as you have 200 echoes, you can now run the Salt Lions for 300 echo profit a time. Do a nice big loop and grab some port reports on the way, and do work for the blind bruiser too. Money will start to pour in.

But yeah, essentially, don’t be afraid of the beasts and pirates. It’s rare they’ll kill you outright. Charge towards them, and turn at the last minute.
To check if it is a laptop/framerate issue, grab fraps (http://www.fraps.com/ - it’s free) and check your framerate. If it’s lower than 30, that’s going to be an issue.

Anyway, here’s the video. You’ll note I putter about on 30 hull for a whole voyage. If you manage your lights properly, it’s really hard to get attacked.

Once you get used to the controls and how your ship maneuvers, you can be incredibly slick with how it moves. In the starter ship, I fled into the icebergs at the northern edge of the map to avoid Mt. Nomad (not to get the compass point), and I managed to maneuver the ship through the icebergs without taking a single collision hit, even though I did come pretty damn close to scratching paint. They can handle very well once you get used to the controls.

As for zee-beasts, yeah just give them a wide berth if you don’t have the guns for them, or utilize that proximity glitch, but that’s risky for many higher beasts and useless on the Lorn-Flukes. Then kill the lights and go full power if you want a speedy escape.

Another thing I also tend to do is check the map constantly to make sure I don’t run into things, or just keeping my eyes moving around if I’m in a new area.

For example, if I’m in Void’s Approach, my eyes are always looking around for ripples of Mt. Nomad, and if I see him, I immediately alter course, because it doesn’t matter if he’s right in the direction I’m heading, I’m not taking 40 hull damage per soundwave hit just for a shorter route.

I mean, if we’re sharing personal stories, I went through five or six captains figuring things out, then on my current captain – an ex-Urchin – didn’t do anything special except to make sure I held on to my Tomb-Colonist payment long enough to find the Salt Lions. That’s it. No special strategies or tricks or trying to game the system for a good start.

Just had another try to go south. Seriously, how do you handle those Unfinished Revolutionaries? You have to get past them to reach the Iron Republic, but their firepower’s too much. They always do me in, either on my way in or out.