Hosting a Fallen London game week

To celebrate a momentous occasion in the life of two of my colleagues, a group of us had planned out a month of fun activities. Thus far we’ve had a movie week (watching only Gaspar Noé and Jodorowsky) and a drama week (where we roleplayed Mahabharata characters every night in their house).[li]

They’re both geeky systems engineers who loved Difference Engine and Boneshaker when I lent it to them; and we’ve played multiple adventure games together. So I have decided to host a Fallen London game week for them. I am not entirely certain how to go about this.

Since I am some way into the game (became PoSI a while ago), I could be a mentor character while they make up a story and move through the different ambitions. Hopefully they’ll get hooked enough to continue. Has anyone done anything like this before ?

Can anyone please give me some suggestions to introduce 4 people to the game and have fun along the way ? Thank you !

[quote=RonDune]To celebrate a momentous occasion in the life of two of my colleagues, a group of us had planned out a month of fun activities. Thus far we’ve had a movie week (watching only Gaspar Noé and Jodorowsky) and a drama week (where we roleplayed Mahabharata characters every night in their house).

They’re both geeky systems engineers who loved Difference Engine and Boneshaker when I lent it to them; and we’ve played multiple adventure games together. So I have decided to host a Fallen London game week for them. I am not entirely certain how to go about this.

Since I am some way into the game (became PoSI a while ago), I could be a mentor character while they make up a story and move through the different ambitions. Hopefully they’ll get hooked enough to continue. Has anyone done anything like this before ?

Can anyone please give me some suggestions to introduce 4 people to the game and have fun along the way ? Thank you ![/quote]
Um. Collect social cards in your hand in preparation? Are you willing to spend fate? Might be worth buying them exceptional friendship, if you are, so they can go faster …

I’ll ponder other things. My thing is it’s a good toy for me when introverting, so I haven’t really considered it from the angle you’re proposing.
edited by babelfishwars on 4/4/2014

Make sure to send them messages along with social actions! Focus on helping them roleplay actual characters by attaching messages to social actions. Even if it’s something as straightforward as an invite to chess, you can have a lot of fun with it. Send one another messages, make up subplots and work recurring events and images into your messages to one another. Chronicle it on an external site.

Thank you for the ideas ! I’m going to start collecting social cards now : good call.

And … I’ve never actually bought exceptional friendship for myself - might be a good time to start. But would introducing new players to the house of chimes help or hinder ? I was thinking of buying all the locked stories (soul trade/daughter/et cetera).

I’m not a good (read: hilariously bad) storyteller - I think I might crib a story from a book, one where I can be wizened old guru helping newcomers to London. That being completely opposed to reality should be fun.

The suggestion of an on-line event chronicle is a wonderful one! I can make it seem as if the world goes on even while they’re playing.

[li]
Again, thank you for the suggestions. I might still be able to carry this out!

[quote=RonDune]Thank you for the ideas ! I’m going to start collecting social cards now : good call.

And … I’ve never actually bought exceptional friendship for myself - might be a good time to start. But would introducing new players to the house of chimes help or hinder ? I was thinking of buying all the locked stories (soul trade/daughter/et cetera).

I’m not a good (read: hilariously bad) storyteller - I think I might crib a story from a book, one where I can be wizened old guru helping newcomers to London. That being completely opposed to reality should be fun.

The suggestion of an on-line event chronicle is a wonderful one! I can make it seem as if the world goes on even while they’re playing.

[li]
Again, thank you for the suggestions. I might still be able to carry this out![/quote]
[/li][li]
[/li][li]You probably won’t need to open all the fate stories - if they’re only doing this with you for a week, there’s a boat load of content for them to play with. I’d say more actions rather than more content useful at this stage, but that’s opinion and although I’m always right, others disagree.
[/li]