So I’ve only sunk a meager 15 hours into Sunless Skies so far - I’m sure there’s a lot I haven’t found yet in the Reach, and far more waiting for me in the wider release. But that’s going to take a while, and in the meantime I thought I’d jot down a few hopes, things I’d like to see developed or included in some way. Perhaps others can add their thoughts?
1) Some of that juicy teaser trailer goodness. Being rocketed off the rails & into the High Wilderness would be an amazing start for a captain. By the same token, the clarity and design of the teaser-trailer map, its odd blueprint-esque quality, would (in my opinion) be a nice upgrade over the map we have at the moment.
2) On the subject of the map, I hope we get something that lets us uncover larger areas or rewards us for going well off the beaten path, repeatedly. I was driven to reveal the whole map in Sunless Sea, but already here I found that I developed a few well-worn routes quite quickly and rarely strayed from them.
3) The Dawn Machine. For where else would you find THE SUN THE SUN THE SUN than in space?
4) The perks and facets of your past blossoming into new storylines and story choices, having a great impact on how you approach a playthrough. Would be a welcome boost to replayability variety.
5) Clickable targets for space combat, clickable locations for asteroids and other space-based things. I’m not too hopeful that I’ll get to see the second part, but I think it would be another good use of the floating text approach.
6) And finally, a dream already fulfilled - that floating text. Loved it in the Sunless Sea trailer, loved it in the Sunless Skies trailer, and I was so happy when I saw it in game.
Anyway, the game may have some teething troubles, but I’m really pleased with what there is so far. Great hopes for the future.
edited by A Parliament of Hounds on 9/2/2017