high CPU usage: very noisy fan, fast battery drain

Hello

I have Mid-2012 Macbook Air and I assumed that a 2D story game like Sunless Sea would not be too taxing.
Actually, after a few minutes of running the game my ventilation fan is running at max speed. I do lots of stuff on this mac and this never happens. The noise is extreme, the laptop also gets very hot despite the fan running at the max.

This makes the game unplayable.

Also the battery drops at what seems like more than one percentage point per minute. I tried on my Windows tower and there it runs fine, but this has a core i7 (2nd gen) and a recent graphics card. I am very surprised that Sunless Sea could be so resource hungry, this feels like a bug to me, if you have massive AI computation in the background it does not show in the game experience.

What gives? Do you know about it? Is it fixable or should I just write my purchase off?

Laurent

The game actually runs in a 3D engine (Unity 3D), even thought it appears to be 2D. I don’t know if that’s enough to cause what you’re seeing though. I’d have thought it would still run fine on a fairly Macbook Air such as yours. Do other 3D games run okay?

[quote=Xopl]Hello

I have Mid-2012 Macbook Air and I assumed that a 2D story game like Sunless Sea would not be too taxing.
Actually, after a few minutes of running the game my ventilation fan is running at max speed. I do lots of stuff on this mac and this never happens. The noise is extreme, the laptop also gets very hot despite the fan running at the max.

This makes the game unplayable.

Also the battery drops at what seems like more than one percentage point per minute. I tried on my Windows tower and there it runs fine, but this has a core i7 (2nd gen) and a recent graphics card. I am very surprised that Sunless Sea could be so resource hungry, this feels like a bug to me, if you have massive AI computation in the background it does not show in the game experience.

What gives? Do you know about it? Is it fixable or should I just write my purchase off?

Laurent[/quote]

I don’t have any advice, but the game works fine on my early 2011 13-inch Macbook Pro. You could compare their specs to narrow down the issue. (Looks like you probably have a better GPU than me, HD Graphics 4000 instead of 3000.)

What OS are you using? I had a lot of problems running games in 10.6.8, upgrading to 10.9 solved them all.
edited by TheThirdPolice on 8/9/2015

I have a mid-2011. I try to keep it plugged in and pretend the Wax Wind is acting up.

I am on 10.10.3, Yosemite. Maybe too new? The minimal spec for the game do say you need a 2GHz processor, and I got a 1.7GHz Core i5.
But still, I got Unity on this mac, compile and run 3D stuff even in debug, it never gets that loud.

[quote=TheThirdPolice]
What OS are you using? I had a lot of problems running games in 10.6.8, upgrading to 10.9 solved them all.
edited by TheThirdPolice on 8/9/2015[/quote]

Processor seems more likely than Yosemite. I have a 2.3 GHz i5.
edited by TheThirdPolice on 8/10/2015