Help wanted: Memories of a Tale on the cheap

I’m looking to advance a Cub’s education to 15. For that I need to get 15 Memories of a Tale (MoaT) in order to acquire certain companions from Mr Chimes. I am looking to speed up acquisition of MoaT by outright buying ES from the store instead of waiting another 4 months. Is there a way to know which ES from the store gives a MoaT? I am looking at the original ones which are now selling for as little as 25 Fate / story but I’m not sure they have the added benefit of a MoaT. I already tried this strategy with Flute Street and I didn’t get a MoaT there so I would like to be sure about this before spending Fate.

Exceptional Stories give Memory. Other Fate purchases do not.

I’m not sure if the difference is clear in the interface? The list of Fate purchases in the Wiki looks accurate.

FYI the Cub’s education is not mechanically rewarding nor tied to other content. But don’t let that dissuade you from wearing a coordinated suit of cats.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I thought I’d spent enough time in this game to know my way around the wiki, but having only recently become a Fate player this was one guide that I never knew existed. It’s exactly what I was looking for!

Also, I laughed out loud at “coordinated suit of cats” .
(I am aware it is not mechanically rewarding, I am doing it for roleplay because cats are amazing creatures.)

One last thing, in case anyone happens to read this and picks up from my inital post that Flute Street is not worth even the 10 Fate it now costs: mechanically there is not much of interest to an endgame player but it does seem to me to be one of the rare areas in FL where lore is spelled out clearly for dummies like myself and that by itself makes me glad to have acquired it even without a MoaT reward.

6 Likes

One thing to note is that most ES stories can be reset. You can purchase one for 45 fate, then can reset it for just 25. Sure you’ll be repeating a storyline you already know, but you might get an outcome you’re more happy with. And another MoaT.

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know you get a Tale from just resetting…

Well, you have to play through the ES again, but yes, you can keep getting more Tales from the stories you already have just by resetting them with fate.

1 Like

I suppose the next question is, which ES can be completed with the least amount of actions?

1 Like

Rationally speaking totally, yes. I don’t feel like asking that though. And I can find a couple of reasons for the feeling.

1. Perhaps the most important is that this conversation has given me insight into how I play FL and what I want from it. I want to experience the narrative first and foremost. On one end of the scale I have waiting another 4 months but getting to experience new ES in the meantime. On the other end of the spectrum I could get it all rather quickly by redoing the shortest ES in my library multiple times. Somewhere in between is redoing a variety of ES from my library based on personal satisfaction with the ending achieved first time around and curiosity at what might have been. I’ve come to realise that for me the pleasure of novel narrative is so great that redoing just one ES would be off putting, like grinding. FL for me is about waiting to read cool things : if I take out the waiting as well as the coolness what is even left? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. It feels dirty to ask. I know it’s taboo to discuss money, which Fate totally represents, but on these forums I also feel awkward about seeming like the kind of person who rushes stories (maybe without even reading) just to get mechanical rewards.

One final remark : I enjoy you all very much and I can only hope that what I’ve said above doesn’t dissuade anybody from this strategy we’ve crafted together simply out of a sense of shame, as if their motivation or playstyle were inferior if they do choose this method. I just realised that the way to reach the goal stated in the title happens to not be for me.

(Later Edit: The cats were mostly a means of self expression, which is another thing I do a lot in FL via my player character, but, again, I’ve realised curiosity for story novelty is my number one reason)

7 Likes

One last thing, in case anyone happens to read this and picks up from my inital post that Flute Street is not worth even the 10 Fate it now costs…

I just wanted to chime in and agree. I paid for it at its original price, expecting it would be a repeatable activity I’d run on the regular. Haven’t touched it again. Total action sink, for little reward and no mechanics of which to speak.

Your point about redoing ES is interesting. I know there are players who play them twice straight off, possibly because a partner is also a player, but also because some stories go off in such widely divergent directions that you feel there is more of / a different story there to be discovered.

Like you, I don’t usually enjoy replaying the ES that much, and certainly not immediately, except in that second case. The current rats/tax tale is actually a good example. I went quite far before locking down the rat side, but still felt there was a different course I didn’t steer and might like to know about.

Otherwise, they need to sit and ripen for a good long while so that the details blur, and then I’ll tackle them again and try to take a different path. Sometimes I find it very hard not to end up with the catastrophic conclusion! Vesture and its spiders comes to mind, though apparently there was a way…

I do have one that I’ve played about four times, and it’s not generally liked: the Court of Cats. I’ve always had the nasty suspicion that there is more of it to find, I just never can. But that’s cats for you! :cat:

3 Likes