Help: Very Upset, Flash Lay broken?

Since the in game help, a google search, and a search of these forums yielded me no results I am hoping someone here can assist me.

After two days of playing the game I found myself enjoying the game very much. I decided it was only proper to contribute to the developer and become an exceptional friend. I paid my one month fee and went to e House of Chimes to try and get info on a Monkey. After following a few choices in there I have ended up at Flash Lays:A guide.

I have two options.
Option 1 is to enter the guide. Doing so gives me four options all telling me about different card types. Choosing onward feom any/all of these puts me back at the initial menu.
Option 2 is leaving the Flash Lay and choosing it gives me two options to leave… Both these options are locked.

I have tried looking in all five tabs at he bottom to no avail, i cant use any items or anything. Using the menu at the left also seems to have no options to get me out of here. I cannot hit the compass icon in the top right to get to the map because it is grayed out.

I am sure I am missing something obvious but I am pretty darn upset. I donated to the game a significant fee for one month membership and almost immediately became stuck. Not stuck in a story or riddle but stuck in a menu tha seems to hae no exit that is not locked. All I can do is sit here and click in circles which I have teied for nearly half an hour. Perhaps this is a bug? Perhaps I am simply obtuse? Perhaps this was not explained or I just missed it?

However this came to be it is absolutely no fun being stuck in an unending menu chain with no obvious way to get out and get back to playing. At the moment I am feeling very much exploited and cheated out of my membership fee to Failbetter since making this payment has resulted in me being locked into this flash lay guide.

So please, someone, anyone, explain to me how I can resolve this and get back to playing… Or hiw I can get a refund. I’d much rather play… But so far my experience has gone from quite good to an utter frustratingly miserable experience.

Also, I am not sure if it matters but I did forget to mention I am playing the mobile version on an iPad Air.

I don’t know if it’s a bug, but assuming everything is working fine, on the page with the two options there should be a card deck. You click on the card deck to pull up a card, then use that card’s options to advance in the Flash Lay. You need 100 Progress to finsih the llay, and you need 25 to LEAVE the Flash Lay.

If you want my advice, since you are new to this and therefore your stats will be low, I’d advise using the card options to et to 25 in the Flash Lay quality and then flee.

If you need any other help (not that I’m sure I have been much help, send me a action in game or PM me here.

If youare still stuck, i reccomend contacting the team as the admin says below. The team are very friendly I find and will be glad to help.
edited by Kylestien on 5/5/2016

[color=#cc0066]Hi there! [/color]
[color=#cc0066]
[/color]
[color=#cc0066]Would you mind sending in a report to mobilesupport@failbettergames.com with your username? We can take a look at what’s going on here and hopefully resolve the issue! [/color]

In the top left is the word ‘always’ next to the hat with teeth. This is the ‘tab’ in which he two guide options are located. In the top right is an icon with a hand of cards that is labeled ‘sometime’.

Clicking on sometime brings me to one single option that says ‘opportunity deck’. Below it talks about picking a card from my hand and then says ‘hand 0/3 cards’. Hand is empty.

I really appreciate your response, i have no idea how to send you an action in game. I’m not sure how to pm on this site either… I only went through the annoyance of registering here and making a post at all because I am stuck in this game I really want to enjoy. At least I see someone in the community is helpful and that gives me hope. So thank you for that.

@James StAnthony: how do I send a report? Just copy this post into an email to that address?

Have you tried switching from &quotAlways&quot to &quotSometimes&quot? What you are missing is that Flash Lays are an opportunity card based area

ETA: ah, nm. While I was sleepily typing away better and more knowledgeable people have responded
edited by genesis on 5/5/2016

[color=#cc0099]Yup! Send us an explanation of the problem, with your username, and ideally the details of the device you’re using. Thanks :) [/color]

[quote=Edrick Ederson Esq III]In the top left is the word ‘always’ next to the hat with teeth. This is the ‘tab’ in which he two guide options are located. In the top right is an icon with a hand of cards that is labeled ‘sometime’.

Clicking on sometime brings me to one single option that says ‘opportunity deck’. Below it talks about picking a card from my hand and then says ‘hand 0/3 cards’. Hand is empty.

I really appreciate your response, i have no idea how to send you an action in game. I’m not sure how to pm on this site either… I only went through the annoyance of registering here and making a post at all because I am stuck in this game I really want to enjoy. At least I see someone in the community is helpful and that gives me hope. So thank you for that.[/quote]

The community is generaly really nice around here, although it’s small so people don’t post quickly. Least from what I’ve seen. But the way you describe it is unfamiliar to me. In theroy all you need to do is click on the hat with teeth to pull out some cards. if the deck is empty also there hould be a timer for your next card.

But the way you describe it seems to me like yeah it’s a bug. And I’m on the web version so I have no idea if it’s the same or not.

I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. I’d advise contacting the support. They should be able to sort it. (:

Very frustrating issue. More frustrating because I had to make an account here and post for help. Frustration increases being advised I should figure out how to copy and paste this whole thread on my ipad, or retupe the whole thing, into an email and then email it and await a response at a later date because there is no support here. Super, duper, frustrating. Seems like ‘not the best’ customer treatment.

Okay, venting over, I will send the requested email and hope for a response soon/ever. Thanks to each and every one who took a moment to read this and especially those that responded. I’m out of sorts but do appreciate the advice and tips.

Hopefully it’s resolved soon. In the meantime, are you able to continue your progress using the website? ( http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com )
If this is being caused by a glitch with the app (which I know very little about other than it exists), using the browser version of Fallen London should at the very least help get you past that point. It’s not perfect but I figure it beats sitting around waiting for the problem to be fixed. :-)
edited by Kittenpox on 5/5/2016

I’m not using the app but do hope your problem is fixed soon. I must say that the few times I have needed to report a bug to support at Failbetter they responded very quickly and were very helpful.

I just sent the email. Hopefully it will get resolved.

As far as the app goes, it was FANTASTIC until this issue. Graphics are slick, sound effects add great mood, things are organized in a sensible fashion and it is very easy to use. It was an easy recommendation to my group of iOS gamer friends.

If I didn’t have this current issue I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in Fallen London with an iOS device. Perfect way to make the commute, waiting for appointments, standing in line, etc. a lot more fun. Frustration aside… It was a really good app for a game I found fun… Til it broke.

@Kittenpox: seems like I am able to log into the website using my iPad browser. The interface is different from the app. I will try to figure it out and hopefully bypass this game breaking bug by playing in the web browser instead of the app, at least until I escape this Flash Lay Guide roadblock. Thank you for the possible workaround and for all your advice.

@Web users: After seeing the game in the App and in the Web briwser… The app is much more slick and attractive and very much more immersive. Also bugged. Bufs aside though… Worth downloading fir the price of Free.
edited by Edrick Ederson Esq III on 5/5/2016

[color=#cc0066]We’ve had a few people on the app having some difficulties with the Flash Lay - due to the difference in layout between the browser version and the app. [/color]
[color=#cc0066]
[/color]
[color=#cc0066]The tab in the top right of the app is labelled SOMETIMES. Pressing it will bring up a deck of cards on the screen. Pressing on the deck will draw three cards, which can then be played. Playing these cards will allow you to progress the Flash Lay, and you can draw an unlimited amount from the deck - though you can only have 3 in your hand at any time. [/color]
[color=#cc0066]
[/color]
[color=#cc0066]We’ve updated the Flash Lay Guide with this advice as well! [/color]

Thank you James StAnthony. Clicking on the sometimes hand tells me I have 0/3 cards in my hand. but clicking on synch says I have 10 cards available. (Ive never used these.).

How do I put cards in my 0/3 hand so that I can play them and advance, or leave, this Flash Lay?

James, while you are at it could you please make Flash Lay Guide branches cost zero actions. It’s not a game feature but simply information, it really shouldn’t cost actions…

[quote=Edrick Ederson Esq III]Thank you James StAnthony. Clicking on the sometimes hand tells me I have 0/3 cards in my hand. but clicking on synch says I have 10 cards available. (Ive never used these.).

How do I put cards in my 0/3 hand so that I can play them and advance, or leave, this Flash Lay?[/quote]

0/3 means that your hand can have up to three cards and currently you have draw 0. 10 refers to the number of cards in your deck at the moment. So if you click (possible double?) on the deck itself (the bluish card with the toothy hat) it should draw 3 cards and you should have the following text. To the side: &quotThere are 7 cars in your Opportunity Deck&quot and below: &quotPick a card from your hand 3/3&quot.

On the app the guide options cost 0. I have definitely clicked every info option a half dozen times each, no exaggeration, clucking in circles trying to figure out what I missed and why
I couldnt advance or retreat.

Ah good. Maybe it’s a relatively recent change then. I haven’t tried using the guide in a few weeks since getting burned by it the first time

Genesis to the rescue and based on your response I think I have figured it out. On the SOMETIMES tab it says I have 0/3 cards and everything is locked out. It appears the only thing I can do is back out and repeat this frustrating scenario forever.

However there is a single blue rectangle in the too left with the Fallen London Icon on it which I guess could vaguely be considered a card. It does mot appear ‘clickable’ at all. It’s just an icon without any flashing effects or arrows or neon signs saying ‘touch me to refill your hand’. but… I touched it, my hand refilled, I can now proceed.

So no bug, the problem is that either I am thick headed or the App doesn’t do a great job of making you aware that clicking the ‘card’ icon is how you regill your deck. It definitely isn’t shaped like the rest of the cluckable icons. It is most likely somewhere in the middle of those two?

Anyways… That was a coupke hours of frustration finally resolved. Thank you, again, to each and every person that offered their advice. Hopefully other people figure this out better then I did and don’t get stuck, or that the app can be adjusted to help players (at least the daft ones like me…) better identify how to refill their hand.