Help me! (Several topics)

Ok, so I’ve been playing a few weeks now, and I’m grasping some large portions of the game, but still sparse on the specifics of a few things.

A quick primer on my situation, I will be keeping exceptional friend for some time and have purchased 150 fate (and quite possibly may get 100+ more… if they were to change a few things, especially the abysmal turn to fate ratio, more memorable content, and possibly new options for fate expenditure.)

1.    Is there better menace reduction than bugging other players?

2. Are there good ways to raise these connected with stats (specifically urchin, police, hell, church, criminal, and most importantly great game) that does not require sacrifices to be made in the other categories listed.

3. As a new player who will likely only make one char if I am forced to cut some connections over others and similar choices in-game what choice would be best story-wise for someone wanting to unravel the grandest of secrets within Fallen London, the Underzee and all the other islands and unexplored pocket dimension within the neath(also, if possible I prefer watchful>shadowy>dangerous>persuasive?

4. Are there any certain items I should be stockpiling, and on that same note, are there any items I should be unloading for echoes.

5. Early on (right now most of my stats are 40-60ish, what would be the best places for me to move forward, and also, perhaps for the next few places. Additionally, are there any specific storylets that give exceptional returns in rewards gained or skills in comparision to turns / requirements invested?
    edited by Smelgen on 7/11/2015

1. Social actions are generally the best menace reductions. There are occasionally some better options but you won’t have access to them for some time. If you don’t want to pester people, however, then getting involved in Counting the Days will provide you a decent alternative.

2. Conflict cards are actually the best long-term method of raising most connections. Every time you play one, you gain twice as many points in the favored faction as you lose with the other, so if you alternate between them, it’s a net gain. If your connections are lower than 10, you can relatively cheaply level them up at Mrs Plenty’s Carnival. There are also items you can purchase from the Bazaar that allow you to raise most connections to 20 by spending goods, and beyond 20 with Fate, but those may be out of your price range as a non-POSI. The only factions this doesn’t work for are the University factions, the Duchess, and Criminals. You will eventually unlock a storylet that allows you to grind Duchess and Bohemian connections in the Shuttered Palace; the University is best served through the Endowment of a University Fellowship (100 Echoes at the Bazaar); and Criminals can be built up to 50 in the Flit, and beyond with opportunity cards.

Also, if &quotmost important&quot to you is the Great Game, I suggest buying a Sulky Bat. It has an associated opportunity card that gives 3 Certifiable Scrap on success and some Connected: Great Game on failure, with no negative effects.

1. Don’t spend Fate on action refreshes. You will want to save that Fate for:
  • the Fate-locked conclusion to the Labyrinth of Tigers
  • The Gift
  • A Trade In Souls
  • Uncovering Secrets Framed in Gold
  • Flute Street
  • and perhaps other content that may interest you
    There are many quality pieces of Fate-locked content in London, and until you run out, they are a far better use of your dosh than simply &quotmore actions&quot, especially when your stats are still low.

There will rarely be places where you are forced to ditch a faction entirely, and when you do, you can always grind it back up through the methods I mentioned in #2. But if you want to unravel the most secret things in the Neath, then I will give you one piece of advice: never let morals distract you from the pursuit of knowledge.

1. Nothing, and everything, because you are not a Person of Some Importance yet. Once you reach that point (100 in all stats), many expensive opportunities will open up to you. Having saved the various items you’ve already acquired by that point will be very helpful in lessening the amount of grind you’ll need to buy some of them.

2. Simply play storylets that are available to you. Each stat has a very well-defined starting area (I’m sure you’ve noticed) appropriate up to level 60, and an equally well-defined second-tier area for up to ~level 80-90. Once you reach 60 in a stat you will want to begin looking into paying for permanent access to the Forgotten Quarter, Wolfstack Docks, the Shuttered Palace, and the Flit.
    There are many such storylets, but most of them require much higher stats than you currently have – they’re considered end game grinding, such as the Affair of the Box, the War of Assassins, the Velocipede Squad, or the Carnelian Coast, which all require relatively high stats (160+) to be profitable. Don’t worry about the Echo value of your actions until/unless you have run out of story content to see.
    [li]
    edited by Jeremy Avalon on 7/21/2015

My own two-pennie’s worth:

1. Social interaction is generally the best way to reduce menaces, but don’t be absolutely terrified of the consequences of high menace. If you get stuck in a menace area (i.e. dying, going insane, etc.), it doesn’t usually take too long to get back out, with the relevant menaces cleared.

In fact, two of the menace areas are worth visiting once anyway, although some ways of getting arrested are better than others. Edit: by this I mean that you probably want to visit all the menace areas at least once, but two of the areas offer something unique.

Just don’t die or get arrested too often - it gets harder to beat the boatman, and the penalties for repeat offenders are severe.

1. Connected: generally, use the connection conflict cards to boost connections. That being said, some can be gained by repeatable storylets. Aiding the Widow in Spite can boost your connection with her, and you can trade that connection for connected Urchin (which can’t be so easily raised) on connection cards. There are a few opportunities like that. Great Game is one of the harder ones to raise.

2. You generally don’t cut yourself off from content. The big choice is your ambition, but otherwise you should still have access to roughly the same stories, just coming to them from different perspectives.

As for your other question, you will want to raise all stats, I’m afraid. To get ‘POSI’, you need to be able to raise all four stats to 100 (one at a time, with equipment). It is very much worthwhile to get POSI.

1. Stockpiling: you won’t have high quantities of much at the moment. I’d avoid selling anything that you can’t go back and get again. Very saleable items includes nevercold brass and moonpearls, which have uses but not many or often. Keep your rats, you’ll need several thousand of them at one point. I like keeping lots of whispered secrets, but I like expeditions in the foreign quarter, and YMMV. Check with the forums, but generally not much is irreplaceable. Keep your dreadful surmise, if you have one, for example, until you get more.

2. There are some good storylets, but the game economy is very tightly balanced. Gold-bordered cards should be worth considering. If you really want wealth, make getting POSI a priority (i.e. raise your stats evenly). It’s still a long grind to get anything of great value.
    edited by RandomWalker on 7/11/2015
    edited by RandomWalker on 7/11/2015

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]1. Social actions are generally the best menace reductions. There are occasionally some better options but you won’t have access to them for some time. If you don’t want to pester people, however, then getting involved in Counting the Days will provide you a decent alternative.

1. Conflict cards are actually the best long-term method of raising most connections. Every time you play one, you gain twice as many points in the favored faction as you lose with the other, so if you alternate between them, it’s a net gain. If your connections are lower than 10, you can relatively cheaply level them up at Mrs Plenty’s Carnival. There are also items you can purchase from the Bazaar that allow you to raise most connections to 20 by spending goods, and beyond 20 with Fate, but those may be out of your price range as a non-POSI. The only factions this doesn’t work for are the University factions, the Duchess, and Criminals. You will eventually unlock a storylet that allows you to grind Duchess and Bohemian connections in the Shuttered Palace; the University is best served through the Endowment of a University Fellowship (100 Echoes at the Bazaar); and Criminals can be built up to 50 in the Flit, and beyond with opportunity cards.

Also, if &quotmost important&quot to you is the Great Game, I suggest buying a Sulky Bat. It has an associated opportunity card that gives 3 Certifiable Scrap on success and some Connected: Great Game on failure, with no negative effects.

1. Don’t spend Fate on action refreshes. Just don’t. You will want to save that Fate for:
  • the Fate-locked conclusion to the Labyrinth of Tigers
  • The Gift
  • A Trade In Souls
  • Uncovering Secrets Framed in Gold
  • Flute Street
  • and perhaps other content that may interest you
    There are many quality pieces of Fate-locked content in London, and until you run out, they are a far better use of your dosh than simply &quotmore actions&quot, especially when your stats are still low.

There will rarely be places where you are forced to ditch a faction entirely, and when you do, you can always grind it back up through the methods I mentioned in #2. But if you want to unravel the most secret things in the Neath, then I will give you one piece of advice: never let morals distract you from the pursuit of knowledge.

1. Nothing, and everything, because you are not a Person of Some Importance yet. Once you reach that point (100 in all stats), many expensive opportunities will open up to you. Having saved the various items you’ve already acquired by that point will be very helpful in lessening the amount of grind you’ll need to buy some of them.

2. Simply play storylets that are available to you. Each stat has a very well-defined starting area (I’m sure you’ve noticed) appropriate up to level 60, and an equally well-defined second-tier area for up to ~level 80-90. Once you reach 60 in a stat you will want to begin looking into paying for permanent access to the Forgotten Quarter, Wolfstack Docks, the Shuttered Palace, and the Flit.
    There are many such storylets, but most of them require much higher stats than you currently have – they’re considered end game grinding, such as the Affair of the Box, the War of Assassins, the Velocipede Squad, or the Carnelian Coast, which all require relatively high stats (160+) to be profitable. Don’t worry about the Echo value of your actions until/unless you have run out of story content to see.[/quote]
    [li]
    [/li]
    ^ I could not have worded this much better myself.

@Smelgen:
Re: #3, all of them are useful but for what you’re describing, your Watchful stat will become quite useful. But don’t feel that you need to power-level at all. Fallen London isn’t a race to an imaginary finish line, and the early content won’t be available later if your Qualities get too high and the lower-level stories become obsolete. Instead, enjoy the ride. :-)

Re: #5, in your lodgings is FIND NEW STORIES: Chat with the Local Gossip, which can be particularly helpful.
If you’re not sure what to be doing or where to go next, that action is a pretty handy way to see where you should be going. (If it shows areas you feel you’ve already covered, it’s possible you may have missed something, not completed the story arc, or aren’t quite at the point where you’re qualified to progress further. In that situation, I suggest exploring somewhere else, as you can always come back to the area later. If nothing seems useful, explore the areas you have unlocked and see if there’s anything new and interesting in those areas that you may have missed.)

As for money, don’t worry about that just yet. There will be more profitable options later on, and rushing ahead through the earlier stories in the hope of cash is not the best way to experience the game. Fixating on profit will likely cause you to skip over the details, and those Whispered Hints in the early stories become Cryptic Clues as you progress, until eventually you realise the Extraordinary Implications and ponder the Direful Reflections of what you’ve learnt along the way.
(I’m honestly not implying anything by that - it’s just something that crossed my mind earlier today: that in some ways, the world-building in this game is comparable to the progression of ‘Mysteries’ category items, and I just wanted to take a moment to appear clever. :-p )