Help gather data and get Antique Mysteries!

For those who are not aware, there is a big spreadsheet which people have been using for years to record data on success/fail rates for various actions, and more importantly, the rates of getting the occasional Rare Successes that come with really cool rewards
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v-OSVnf1qcRTV89G4Yj4wlo3GY3kxa0y-MpYC07T9-4/edit#gid=1

It has just come to my attention that The Wheel of Affection, at Mrs Plenty’s Perfumed Pleasure Garden, is not recorded in the sheet. there’s quite a few actions that nobody got around to testing.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Affection
Perhaps more interestingly to you folks, this action has a rare success option that grants an Antique Mystery, as well as a point of masquing. This could prove very useful to those of you that are trying to save up for a Reservation at the Royal Bethlehem, or who just need more maquing for this feast

This action is only available while the feast lasts, so we have a limited time window to record the data, and to reap these lovely rewards. With that in mind, i’d like to enlist some help with populating the data, and everyone who participates can earn antique mysteries too. The action is also moderately profitable even when you’re not getting a rare success.

To help, first of all open up the sheet in another tab
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v-OSVnf1qcRTV89G4Yj4wlo3GY3kxa0y-MpYC07T9-4/edit#gid=1
Go to the Luck Challenges page on the spreadsheet, and scroll down until you find The Wheel of Affection

It’s row 193

And before visiting the wheel, i’d strongly advise going to Mrs Plenty’s Carnival, and stocking up on carnival tickets. We don’t know the rate of success and rare success yet, but a big stockpile of 50 or so will probably be Plenty. You can’t purchase them while you’re there, so get them before you go! I recommend purchasing them with either whispered hints, or cryptic clues, as both of these options have a chance to get you 3x the amount of tickets

To actually get to the Perfumed Pleasure garden, open up the Celebrate the Feast of the Rose storylet (it’s available anywhere, anytime, during the feast) and select Visit the Perfumed Pleasure Garden. This costs a small amount of Making Waves (3cp) but it grants you two free carnival tickets

Once there, use the Wheel of Affection option, and see what results you get
On Failure, it gives a Gift of Scorn, which can be sold for 0.20 echoes. Failure also gives -1cp persuasive, which isn’t much unless you’ve used notability boosting
On a normal Success, it gives 10x Romantic Notions, worth a total of 1 echo
And on a Rare Success, you get a Memory of Light, an Antique Mystery, and a point of Masquing. Worth a total of 13 echoes

All attempts, regardless of the result, will also consume one carnival ticket

After each attempt, note down your results in the spreadsheet, by editing the appropriate column on row 193 (normal success, failure, or rare success) to be 1 higher than its current value. You don’t need to do anything else, all the other columns will magically fill themselves in using formulas and maths

To save time, you can do several attempts in a row, remember what you got, and add in the appropriate amounts to each column

And one last thing to remember: If you’re going to record results, please record ALL results that you do. If you only record when you get a rare success, that causes the data to become skewed and display an incorrect rare success rate. We don’t want that.

Once we get enough data,i’ll work out the average profit for this action and post that too.

Enjoy riding the wheel, and i hope you get lots of antique mysteries!

ALTERNATIVELY

If you can’t be bothered with all the spreadsheet stuff, you can posts your results here, and i will personally enter them into the sheet. If you’re going to do that then obviously don’t enter them into the sheet as well, we don’t want results being recorded twice
edited by Nanako on 2/18/2016

Warning: Failure lowers your Persuasive. 'Ware wheels if that stat is Notably boosted.

Here you go:

failure 6
normal 14
rare 1

i see, good point, edited into the post. It’s a very tiny amount, but i can see how it’d be an issue if you’ve used notability to increase the stat

and i’ve added your results, thanks!

You can get Carnival Tickets while you are there - the first option in the Pleasure Garden is a watchful challenge that gives 10 tickets (and a tale of terror) but you can only use it if you have at least 2 tickets already.
edited by reveurciel on 2/18/2016

[quote=lady ciel ]but you can only use it if you have at least 2 tickets already.
edited by reveurciel on 2/18/2016[/quote]
argh now i feel stupid ;-; i just spent the last of my tickets before checking this thread again :(

You get two tickets when you go in to the Pleasure Garden and then you can get as many as you think you can use (or extra to use on the regular Carnival options if you want), I normally get 20 or 30 depending on how many actions I have. I’ll definitely have a surplus by the end of the Feast but I did stockpile some before this event started to save the actions for the Feast. Unfortunately I haven’t seen a rare success this year so far and haven’t kept track of how many actions and the results I have received playing the various options in the Pleasure Garden.

Batch II:

failure 8
normal 11
rare 1

[quote=TheThirdPolice]Batch II:

failure 8
normal 11
rare 1[/quote]

added, thank you. we’re filling it nicely, keep em coming if you feel up to it. I’ve been adding my own results throughout the day, gotta get those antique mysteries, i want a hotel room too!

data thus far

Just some info to hopefully encourage POSI’s to help you record stats.

POSI’s might be put off due to the slight MW loss whenever you go to “Visit the Perfumed Pleasure Garden!”. However, it can be mitigated by upconverting the Romantic Notions. You’ll get MW, minor Bohemian loss (easily earned back) and a chance to get Surface Silk and the expensive Comprehensive Bribe.

No problem, Nanako. I’m just a misanthrope paying to spin a carnival wheel during a festival of love. I mean, uh, roleplaying a misanthrope. That’s it.

And thanks for handling the spreadsheet side of things, I get enough of that at work.[i]

Batch III:
failure 4
normal 24
(rare 0)
[/i]

Batch IV:
failure 3
normal 25
rare 1
edited by TheThirdPolice on 2/19/2016

[quote=TheThirdPolice]
Batch III:
failure 4
normal 24
(rare 0)

Batch IV:
failure 3
normal 25
rare 1
edited by TheThirdPolice on 2/19/2016[/quote]
excellent, i’ve added these, thank you very much.

Currently the rare success rate seems to be about 3.57%

Tested it a bit with an alt:
9 failures
45 successes
3 rare

Batch V:

failure 7
normal 12
rare 1

Edit: Batch VI:
failure 1
normal 10
(rare 0)
edited by TheThirdPolice on 2/21/2016

[quote=Valiant]Tested it a bit with an alt:
9 failures
45 successes
3 rare[/quote]

[quote=TheThirdPolice]Batch V:

failure 7
normal 12
rare 1

Edit: Batch VI:
failure 1
normal 10
(rare 0)
edited by TheThirdPolice on 2/21/2016[/quote]

I’ve added all of these results, thank you.

Some parts of the feast have ended now, and correct me if i’m wrong, but i believe the perfumed pleasure garden is no longer accessible. Thank you very much for all your assistance in testing, and i hope you got the antique mysteries you were hoping for.

With our combined efforts, we’ve gotten 270 samples on this action. This is still quite a lot short of the 1000 samples really needed to get a reliable result, but it’s useable.
With the current results, the rates stand at:
Success: 79.57%
Rare Success: 4.37%
Failure: 16.06%

With these results, the action averages out at a grand total of 1.685 Echoes Per Action, which i believe puts it on par with The Affair of the Box, making it one of the most profitable things in the game. Shame for those who didn’t help, they’ve missed out !

Oh, another addendum has come to mind, and another sad thing for those who didn’t participate:

Gifts of Scorn, the failure result, can be traded in for 1 masquing, up to 5. And since both The Lady in Lilac, and An Encounter at the Feast are now constantly-avilable storylets for the next couple of days, you can spend that masquing down to <5 and then keep trading them in.

Spend it on what? “The Briefest of Encounters” option on An Encounter at the Feast, which trades in 1 masquing for a Stolen kiss, worth 2.5 echoes

Yes that means the failure result on the wheel is actually worth 2.5 echoes, which probably does some pretty nice things to the EpA. If you have any gifts of scorn you didn’t sell, i’d advise using them for this purpose