help a n00b

Hello there,

I just started the game, just started twitter etc. (twitter @johnnycarwash1). I’m looking for guidance, contacts, friends, etc.
In specific, I want to get some Confident Smiles to continue my Ambition (I have 2, need 2).
Any and all help is appreciated.

If you look up to my stickied thread, there’s a list of players you can follow on twitter, and then send a private dinner request from your lodgings to them. As far as guidance goes, I’ve also got a stickied thread with advice for new players, and everyone on this forum is willing to answer whatever questions you may have :)

I would recommend a visit to the "Advice for new players thread" and a glance over at this directory “Find Friends” Other lists posted in the Singing Mandrake will help you out as you progress through the game; finding starveling cats for adoption, obtaining items for your ambition, participating in holiday activities… We’re quite the friendly bunch and if you drop a calling card by our homes or hotel rooms (friend us on twitter or facebook) we’re quite willing to help out.

Check the Find Friends list carefully, some people only participate in specific actions.

~MF
A Lady collecting cards
edited by MaurnaFrost on 4/9/2012

thanks! i also have never used twitter before so i’m having difficulty inviting friends etc

ah crap. now there seems to be a glitch in the game. i’ve closed the browser, logged in and out.
no matter what job or opportunity card i click, it brings up “a clandetine rendezvous”, which was the last thing I successfully completed. But when i try to get out of it, it just shows me a blank page with a done button, and when i click the done button it takes me back to ‘clandestine rendezvous’. oh well, and i was sort of enjoying myself…

[quote=Jessie Belle]Hello there,

I just started the game, just started twitter etc. (twitter @johnnycarwash1). I’m looking for guidance, contacts, friends, etc.
In specific, I want to get some Confident Smiles to continue my Ambition (I have 2, need 2).
Any and all help is appreciated.[/quote]

If you do Facebook (I don’t happen to, alas), you can also have your Facebook friends join you in Fallen London.

[quote=Jessie Belle]ah crap. now there seems to be a glitch in the game. i’ve closed the browser, logged in and out.
no matter what job or opportunity card i click, it brings up “a clandetine rendezvous”, which was the last thing I successfully completed. But when i try to get out of it, it just shows me a blank page with a done button, and when i click the done button it takes me back to ‘clandestine rendezvous’. oh well, and i was sort of enjoying myself…[/quote]

Submit a bug report to the Failbetter Games team (the e-mail address for doing so is ebbugs@failbettergames.com) if the problem persists.

[quote=Jessie Belle]ah crap. now there seems to be a glitch in the game. i’ve closed the browser, logged in and out.
no matter what job or opportunity card i click, it brings up “a clandetine rendezvous”, which was the last thing I successfully completed. But when i try to get out of it, it just shows me a blank page with a done button, and when i click the done button it takes me back to ‘clandestine rendezvous’. oh well, and i was sort of enjoying myself…[/quote]

There’s an odd bug sometimes, I’ve had similar in the past. For me, it cleared up in ~20 minutes. As for twitter, you just have to follow the person; although it can be good to send an “introduction” tweet or PM here on the forums.

~MF

[color=rgb(51, 0, 153)]A cache clear may possibly help the card problem[/color]

thanks for the help. i think it was a problem with internet explorer.

any idea how to switch the twitter account you have linked to your character?

[quote=Jessie Belle]thanks for the help. i think it was a problem with internet explorer.

any idea how to switch the twitter account you have linked to your character?[/quote]

I believe you need to send an email to fallenlondonbugs@failbettergames.com [mod edited email address] for that as well.

~MF
edited by Alexis Kennedy on 4/15/2012

I’m having trouble getting Echo Bazaar to list anything but the same six followers (none of whom have replied to my requests.) Am I doing something wrong? Is there a button or a drop-down I’m missing? It won’t let me type in the followers I want to invite.

By the way, I enjoy having my character go nuts, so feel free to invite me when you need someone to talk about your nightmares with!
edited by Mapachitly on 5/9/2012

It’s seemed to me that it only presents people you follow on twitter if they have issued a tweet. Since a lot of people create twitter accounts for their characters, and there is currently no echoing, this can lead to confusion.

I too have recently begun my journey in Fallen London and have made it to levels 40. My question is of a personal nature. I cannot seem to stop playing this game! I keep buying fate as I run out far too soon! To some of the more established on the thread: how did you learn to control this? I read that prior to February there was even less Actions permitted per day! eek. there has to be a trick.

Unfortunately I leave a tab open and cannot seem to stop myself from checking it! Is there ever a sale on Fate?

[quote=NyteSong]I too have recently begun my journey in Fallen London and have made it to levels 40. My question is of a personal nature. I cannot seem to stop playing this game! I keep buying fate as I run out far too soon! To some of the more established on the thread: how did you learn to control this? I read that prior to February there was even less Actions permitted per day! eek. there has to be a trick.

Unfortunately I leave a tab open and cannot seem to stop myself from checking it! Is there ever a sale on Fate?[/quote]
Some individuals here have another character, with decidedly a … different outlook, That’s how some people do it.

As for the fate-stories… some are just too good to skip up, I hear almost universal acclaim to the Soul Trade…

Well, a limit of 40 actions per day did tend to limit oneself to 40 actions a day :)

In my case, it seemed that in order for a Twitter account to show up in the various drop-down lists (inside the game) you must both follow and be followed by that twitter id.

In other words, it seems that the equivalent of friending on Facebook is follow+followed on Twitter.

Once this was in place, I could see my friend’s Twitter account even though she hasn’t made a single tweet (yet).

(Of course, I had to connect my Fallen London account to my newly regged Twitter account myself first)

If the other person has echoed Fallen London content (Not possible at the moment, was taken offline due to bugs), only one of you needs to follow the other. Glad to see you’ve found a way around that :)