Hearts' Game

I treat it as more of a glass half-full thing, myself. I have less investment in FL these days and as someone pointed out earlier the "optimal’ way to play the game includes bad cards because merely playing gives you exploits and there are absolutely no penalties for losing strictly from an echoes standpoint.

So I have mastered the art of just blindly picking teams, losing, and cashing in all my big echo prizes every month or so rather than use theoretically more optimal grinds that would require me to, dare I say it, think

3 Likes

So far, I had success with:

• A Roots / Teeth team (+ a 3rd team-mate which can provide poisonous prep, otherwise, it’s really hard if tolerance builds too high too soon)
  • Skin / Lures
  • Skin / Tallow

Tallow is alright, but you absolutely need Skin to reach their level of prep fast enough.

Liver is not good enough on that matter, with only one card providing 2preps, and hidden behind a high difficulty check.
And since the shadowy King is weaker than Tallow, this leads to the shadowy team being disappointing… I did 5 or 6 wins out of 10 rounds last time I tried them.

They are two things which are highly variable and can make bad luck frustrating :

• tolerance rise, sometimes it’s totally absent of a run, other times it increases with every single action
  • character selection : if youre unlucky, you end up with a team which has no chance of winning…

Still like the game, it has lots of potential I think.

Oh, I feel for you! That kind of trauma of having to get three Personal Recommendations during the early-POSI time lead me eventually to stock up 11 of them, just until I’ve realized I will hardly ever get another chance to use them, and they aren’t profitable to sell either.

I agree so about the Queen, I was very enthusiastic about her, but not impressed at all. She doesn’t offer efficient preparation or progress options, you still have to spend a move for the clearing hand one, which gives a miserable 1cp progress, risks for the opponent’s progress, and adds yet more RNG to an otherwise pretty luck-based process. Not my accomplice of choice, definitely.

1 Like

I have missed the first season entirely – and for the good, it seems. After reading the thread, I feel like I owe you, all the people who have endured KT14-challenge, gaining preps by cp, and inescapably being drawn behind by the elusiveness build-up. Don’t hesitate to seek me out in London by the same name and send a calling card, in case you need a letter to receive, a speaker for your salon, or a kind soul for tending your menaces.

First and foremost: I enjoy the Game a great deal! Just started around a week ago, and got positively overwhelmed. Got the Hook, couple of Trophies, few high-value items, 200+ Exploits left, and lots, lots of excitement.

Here are some thoughts I have to share.

1. The Game does seem a lategame activity. Not only for the Tier 2 POSI and 200 Dangerous threshold, but for the challenges hardly 100%-ed even with max stat caps and best-in-slot equipment. And yes, it requires a lot of actions, so one is better off with it when there’s no other pressing agenda.

2. The activity has decent epa for a lategame grind. This means I can finally freely experiment without having to worry about screwing something important up or wasting tons of actions for gaining neither profit nor satisfaction. I still hurt for the experiences from the Polythremic Promenade (necessary for certain stories) with its truly distressing lack of progress, not even to mention the Fidgeting Writer. Here the player is guaranteed to get ~4E worth Exploit for each move, and free to undertake the wildest nonsense JUST FOR FUN.

3. The Game is significantly RNG-dependent, all the way through card-based choice of Accomplices, accomplice-based strategy, card-based progress, non-100%-able challenges, and random Menace increase. I can see why some people get anxious over this. I do, in fact, enjoy this, though. Managing to get the most from given circumstances feels rewarding, and the baseline of guaranteed gain secures minimal return. Simply said, in the worst case I get some echo and experiment results, in the best case I get these, plus the feeling of being incredibly awesome :upside_down_face: In addition, this makes for a really high replayability: each Run is different even with the same team.

4. The challenges are crazy. And I think it’s a good thing. Flavour-wise, it makes sense that there are no certain win moves in a game like this. Mechanic-wise, it adds significance to the choice of accomplices or outfits, and excitement to the process of the game. It encourages to try out different strategies instead of hitting one button for Trophies. Surely, the important thing here is that losing is not a painful loss, because winning is not that easy. Otherwise, the main difference is in the mind of the player.

5. A word of strategies and Accomplices. Probably it’s trivial, but I find Moves being the main resource of the Round, since each Move poses increasing risk of target’s progress. This means looking to
    – maximize progress gain per action, for prep-locked options including the actions to get necessary preps, and considering potential increase of Tolerance;
    – maximize success chances and/or non-check options use, as failure is a major setback; given that one can hardly reach decent success chance in more than one skill, choosing Accomplices that check same skill is generally good; the use of Second Chances depends largely on their availability, potential progress gain, and current state of the Round;
    – balance the Accomplices so that there are at least four cards (out of total six) of some use during any stage of the Round, which means having at least one useful card in your hand all the time.

For example, my dream-team to bring me 7/7 wins and the first Trophy was Skin+Lures+Roses. With other companions, Skin becomes completely useless after few draws. With the options of Lures to spend preps for progress boost and of Roses to boost progress based on the number of preps, this is a match made in heaven (or Hell, most likely)). Skin and Lures both check Watchful, which I maximize in the outfit, and for Roses occasionally spend the most available second chance at decisive points.

Queen works very poorly for these goals, as I’ve described in the post above. Tallow doesn’t look impressive either, since at least four actions is needed to start making use of his options, each action risking to add Tolerance and ruin their power. I’ve tried him only once, though, and may come to reconsider it later. Probably, it was a question of balance, as I took on the only possible one-skill team Roots+Talons+Tallow, and they don’t work well together despite 100% check, though Roots+Talons do. Teeth requires careful balancing, as their cards become completely useless after few points of Tolerance. Their antagonist Roots, who is mostly useful later on in the Round, is much more versatile.

I keep experimenting and probably will have more insights to share later.

I think that introduction of a Fate-locked Accomplice is unlikely, it’s quite enough that one needs Fate and lategame items to get good enough chances with some of them.

As for our targets, we know that
“They are all men of similar character and disposition; many are repeat customers.”
The text kind of hints that they participate by choice, and probably even pay for it. Their motives are unclear, as is their provenance.

1 Like

I think MVPs of this season are Skins and Roots.
Skins provides +2 PPrep on both cards with relatively low Watchful check. He could “carry” any team. but especially useful in combination with Lures, Tallow or Roses.
Roots was nerfed a bit from last season. but still could single-handedly win the game. Good companions for him are Teeth (early aggression could go a long way) and Loins.

There are of course other compositions to win, but they require two specific accomplices to come up in drawing stage. And drawing is most RNG based part of the Heart’s Game right now (might get worse in future seasons).

Hehe, thanks! :rofl: Joke aside, it has great cards!

I was a bit skeptical with the extra companions for this season and ones I got in my team: Skins, Livers (Shadowy) and Ribs (Dangerous). But with a dangerous set, some extra second chances (probably not needed) I got a victory after 7 rounds and I think this season was more fun than the first!

I loved it! The separation of Elusiveness and Tolerance was a great addition!

EDIT: Only now I saw that I can exit the game between each round without suffering a loss. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With all this commotion caused by crates, make sure to finish your HG round before Thursday!

3 Likes

I had real trouble until I got Skins, Loins, Spines.
Finally preparations are actually worth something to me.

I quickly get up my preps, and then let loose with spines prep-moves, and essentially I am never in trouble with bad draws. Loins is mainly to refresh the hand from time to time.

‘Ello folks! As has been noted above and elsewhere, the Hearts’ Game season will switch over later today. Finish your runs, collect your trophies, conclude your business.

1 Like

Another season in Hearts’ Game passes. The Season of Excess vanishes on the wind, and the Season of Dares sweeps into the parlour. Find new allies in the Gamekeeper’s Cottage: the suffocating Knight of Flames, the polite Page of Papers, the inventive King of Knuckles and the playful Page of Gambits.

The Gamekeeper’s Cottage is once more open for its game of poison and murder!

“You have not been sufficiently audacious.”

The nerve…!
We have a new possible reward consisting of a Brass Ring and a Whirring Contraption, but also a new option after 7 wins!

3 Likes

Oooo! Will I finally stop having to subject myself to Wilmot’s end? Only time will tell!

Oh, nice catch. Thanks for the tip!

The Cottage will accrue more shames with each passing season.” Oh ok then.

I counted the existing ones and this means we’ll have to pick from 15 accomplices. I wonder how much RNG will count this season. :thinkingfl:

We’re keeping a close eye on how things go this season. We’ve got various levers available to us to adjust RNG, hand size, and balancing for the next Season. If you’ve got specific thoughts you’d like us to take into account about balancing, please do email our feedback email (feedback@ failbettergames. com) to guarantee we’ll read it!

2 Likes

I just checked Wiki and the new cards and damn interesting and some have a difficulty of 180 instead of 200! :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading the new Heart’s Game text as I try out the new accomplices (loving Page of Papers by the way!) and hoo boy I should probably stop talking about Neathy politics because if an FBG employee wants me dead there is apparently no length that their imagination won’t go to to kill me.

I have had a hard time even drawing the new Accomplices this season, so I’m slow in feeling them out. But I gotta say, Page of Gambits seems outrageously good. He does a lot of Progress with low Prep, which in theory is balanced by always increasing Elusiveness but in practice it’s just a huge amount of Progress. I don’t even have a good team for him (literally only 1 card that grants prep), but he’s a reliable workhorse. And rounds go fast.

1 Like

I’ve had horrible luck drawing Gambits this Season, got him only once so far. But, yeah, he’s good. Too good actually. Bruno said on the Discord that they’ll be reevaluating him for the next Season, which is kind of expected since it was the same with Roots from the first Season.

The only decent team I’ve had this Season so far has been Skins, Roses, and Knuckles. Everything else has been straight-up garbage.

1 Like

I had a very strong triple Watchful team. Easy and fast 7 wins without any trouble. Only problem is drawing teammates of course, they made it even worse…

I think Teeth and Flames are good combination. First punches with no-check options, second clears Tolerance with Watchful checks.