Hearts' Game

I don’t fancy being stuck with a subpar team because of mediocre RNG for a whole run very much, but it’s a balance between trophies, exploits and risk, so it makes sense from a game-design point of view. Still somewhat annoying.

…huh, guess we’re all using the same strategies. Although I personally stop at 2-3 prep.

I’m definitely hunting down tracklayers.

3 Likes

I was unable to assemble the same crew for my new run and ended up holding spines, roots and loins, but this combo is also proving to be quite easy to win with.

Swap Spines with Talons, and that’s the winstreak-sustaining combo I’ve currently settled on at the moment. Maybe when I’m more comfortable measuring progress/the Kings get buffed I’ll start experimenting, but for now I’m just going for that trophy.

Yeah, it wasn’t the team I wanted, but it’s the team I ended up getting. Like I said, though, it’s not bad. Seems to me roots is the key player here really, he can help out a lot whether you have KT or S as your skill focus, low to moderate prep or no prep.

As for spines, his zero-requirement attack is still a decently useful thing early game, and if you end up doing prep up to 3, the second option isn’t very hard to pull off if roots is ever unavailable, even when wearing more KT-focused gear to accommodate the advanced roots options.

I ended up with the same team again for my third run too and it’s still going smoothly, though it does take a little more actions for a win compared to spines-livers-roots.

Finally lost a round due to utterly terrible RNG in the early game. Getting stuck with a split Shadowy/Dangerous team isn’t something I should have gone with, but given I can’t get to more than +10 KT, I guess I can’t do much better anyway…

Slight complaining aside, I wonder how long a season lasts.

Yeah, and Roots is also key to the no-skills no-prep run.

Really seems to be the key player in a few of these approaches.

[edit] I tried a KT-based run, now that they’ve upgraded my success chance to 90%, and it still feels more precarious than no-skills no-prep. Getting up to 3 prep with 6 single-cp actions just takes so long, and then roots cards are the only reliable ones.

Roots is just so good. It seems like the optimal strategy is to get Roots, then if you can get Loins (to fish for more roots), then whatever can give the most progress with the least prep to get you ahead before you need to use Roots cards.

1 Like

Not really finding it precarious with 100% KT checks, but it is sometimes a bit slow, yeah. But what I tend to do is at zero elusiveness I play zero-prep spines and loins attacks or do prep, then when I have prep at 2 and there is elusiveness I start playing the roots cards with one prep option, I do prep up to 3 whenever not holding any roots, then finish with prepped roots and spines attacks at 3. 13 wins in a row now with no close shaves.

Also it’s happened a couple times now that I forgot to equip my KT gear (still getting used to this system), and those times I simply played zero-prep attacks from all three, starting with loins and spines, finishing with roots. Last game took 12 actions this way, not my best but I’ve had worse.

I noticed that the first elusiveness is gained usually after 5 or 6 moves from which attacks can start.

Oooh, this sounds interesting! I think I’ll try another tournament now that I finally got a trophy (yay!) to check the echoes and this strategy.

I never bothered to count, but you always went with KT?

With this team of spines, loins and roots, yes. With spines, livers and roots I used shadowy. Sometimes I forgot that gear too, but then I just played the same shadowy options regardless, just with worse odds.

Got my trophy and my hook. I’ll be holding onto my exploits until we know if the rewards change or not (if the hook is replaced, basically). Hopefully they aren’t wiped at the end of a season.

From Bruno, on the Discord: I expect rewards to not change. Maybe we’ll tweak things or add more options.

2 Likes

I usually stop at 2 or 3 prep, but if I can keep a comfortable lead over Elusiveness I will go up to 4 Prep if it looks as though I can end the match successfully that way.

I got my last run done in 14 actions with the no-prep no-stats team of roots, loins, teeth.

Thanks, mate! This means the bigger reward will be the story/mystery which will reveal itself. Hmmm… Another waiting game!

Four trophies… I wonder just how many I should be shooting for, here. No idea.

That’s a nice number, I don’t know why you’re wondering about your target. Seven, of course! Yours is the 77th message in this thread too.

But about season, I do wonder when it will end/change.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing nothing but collect in the game for several days now. I think I’m on nine. A gut-level instinct in me worries that in the eventual Railway sequel I vaguely remember is in the works, vast quantities of Bessemer steel ingots will be necessary.

It’s an epilogue, not a sequel. It’s highly unlikely we’ll be laying more tracks, that part of the story is completed. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a turn-in for excess, but I doubt we’ll be needing to grind up extras.

But Leviathan Frames are always nice to have in your back pocket.