Hallowmas begins this Thursday!

[color=#0066ff]London’s Feast of Masks returns![/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]There will be a few changes this year, and as has been noted elsewhere, you might find renown among the Docks, Rubbery Men and Constables to be useful.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]I’d like to give you the tiniest taster of something to look forward to. I’ve given a couple of hints in Discord, but this one is new:[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]The Knight of Numbers.[/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]What could it signify?? See you for the revels on Thursday![/color]

As someone who has occasionally flown the banner of the Knights of the Eastern Calculus over the years, I am quite interested in this hint.

Knights of the Eastern Calculus?
What sorcery is this?

Nice, nice, nice!
There’s also this Reddit post which offered another clue and I searched for Hanna’s post on Discord and this is what we got:
The Smiling Jester
The Glasswhisper (wonder if my dream qualities will be put to use!)
The Knight of Numbers
The Silent Shame

[color=#0066ff]A total of seven morsels have now been released. Hallowmas begins tomorrow. [/color]

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]A total of seven morsels have now been released. Hallowmas begins tomorrow. [/color][/quote]We have found two:
The fifth - The False Student. Official Discord Server.
The seventh - Hammerstrike. IRC.
The sixth remains unknown.

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus][quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0066ff]A total of seven morsels have now been released. Hallowmas begins tomorrow. [/color][/quote]We have found two:
The fifth - The False Student. Official Discord Server.
The seventh - Hammerstrike. IRC.
The sixth remains unknown.[/quote]
And now the sixth is, too, revealed:
The Fool’s Apostate. Something Awful.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 10/23/2019

They sound like tarot cards.

And there was that new Election item recently… a connection, maybe? Or maybe I’m reading too much into it all.

(edit: Then again the usual character name construction-- &quotThe Obsequious Blacksmith&quot or whoever-- sounds like a tarot card too, so it’s definitely possible I’m just reaching beyond the grasp here)
edited by Tintinnabulum on 10/23/2019

Maybe Madame Shoshana will turn all of us into tarot cards. :P

Here’s my theory: some enigmatic people arrive from overzees and we need to investigate them. That’s why the three Renown groups: Docks because that’s where they first arrived, Constables because of course they’re keeping an eye on the newcomers, Rubbery Men because… well, because the Rubberies are generally interested in almost anything :P

Who are these newcomers? Seven people from seven different Elder Continent cities. Pilgrims, ambassadors, spies, exiled royalty, cricket players? Who knows.

I’m almost certainly way off with all of that, but considering I made it up on the spot, I think it’s not too bad! :D
edited by phryne on 10/23/2019

[quote=phryne]snip
Rubbery Men because… well, because the Rubberies are generally interested in almost anything :P

snip[/quote]Or maybe Rubberies because no one takes them into account nor does any Neath dweller considers them any kind of threat to any plot going on.

I wonder if there’s going to be a Rosers theme in the Hallowmas celebrations this year.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Knights of the Eastern Calculus?
What sorcery is this?[/quote]

I wondered that too, so I Googled, and found a few very interesting websites with definitions, for example:

https://everything2.com/title/Knights+of+Eastern+Calculus

https://lain.wiki/wiki/Knights_of_the_Eastern_Calculus

I had heard of the Knights of the Lambda Calculus, but that’s because my husband is a long-time LISP hacker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Lambda_Calculus

And, see also, from the Jargon File, which my husband maintains, http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/K/Knights-of-the-Lambda-Calculus.html

Going by names like The Smiling Jester, The Glasswhisper, The Silent Shame, The Fool’s Apostate, and The False Student, a lot of companions this year are based on deception, including the potential Rubbery ones. The odd one out is the Knight of Numbers. However, if we take the last clue, Hammerstrike (which sounds like a name for a heist), the Knight might be a planner or a financier.
[color=#1a1a1b]
[/color][color=#1a1a1b]In particular, her description notes:[/color]
&quotShe has connections all over the Neath; most of them suspect individuals of a plunderous incination.&quot

So it may be those on the Docks are planning a heist or other shady business, the Constables likely want to put a stop to it, and the Rubberies have their own agenda, or given their usual luck, are caught in the middle of it.
edited by Ixc on 10/24/2019