Grinding to Level 4 Lodgings

Hello there fellow people! I’ve recently began the POSI storyline and although I have gotten all the lvl 3 lodgings from the bazaar I would like to know ways to grind items for the lvl 4 lodgings, especially the royal Bethlehem. So good honey, whispered secrets, and brilliant souls basically. Also any advice for level 5 lodgings would be appreciated.

For Royal Beth, consider grinding Antique Mysteries and buying from the landlord instead.
For Premises at the Bazaar, consider grinding Bazaar Permits and paying at the Bazaar Sidestreets instead.
It is quite a sizable discount.

Oh, I just got my first 4-card lodgings no more than a week ago. But it was Premises at the Bazaar. So I can’t help you.
Why would you have such an unconventionnal choice of 4-card lodgings, you strange individual ?

[quote=Lemexis]Oh, I just got my first 4-card lodgings no more than a week ago. But it was Premises at the Bazaar. So I can’t help you.
Why would you have such an unconventionnal choice of 4-card lodgings, you strange individual ?[/quote]
Because I’m very strange and quite Hedonistic if I do say so myself.

Ha, such youthful exuberance… You’ll grow out of it, young man. Trust me on that.

Estelle has it for the 4 card lodgings (there is an alternate method for purchasing the third residence, but it’s not dramatically better than stealing brilliant souls in the flit).

For five card lodgings, you can get them MUCH cheaper during Sacksmas, but you’ll want to prepare: night whispers, storm threnodies, scholar of the correspondence… A lot to do, but I think that there’s enough time to be ready to upgrade at least two homes. Just getting one should be relatively easy, if that’s your goal.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]For Royal Beth, consider grinding Antique Mysteries and buying from the landlord instead.
For Premises at the Bazaar, consider grinding Bazaar Permits and paying at the Bazaar Sidestreets instead.
It is quite a sizable discount.[/quote]
Also if you don’t mind, do you know a good way to grind antique mysteries?

Thefts of a Particular Character in the Flit is my preferred method. You can also use the Trade Secrets you gain with 4 Professional Perks to gain 5 Antique Mysteries and 1 Searing Enigma. The Fidgeting Writer is also a good source.

Here is a full list of all sources.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 7/27/2015

On the topic of Estelle’s suggested method of gaining Bazaar Permits, it’s important to consider the different means of gaining the Permits.

For example, the War of Assassins has an option that will reward you with permits- the pay scale is mediocre, but the challenges are higher-level and will allow you to work on stats and Permits simultaneously if you’re getting up there.

My two favorite methods of permit acquisition are to steal them in Heists, or to mine Nostalgia Currency. For example, Honey–>Romantic notions–>Visions of the Surface–>Love Stories–>Permits. Veilgarden has a storylet that pays decently in Honey, and if you only use the highest-volume conversions then you don’t come out badly. Additionally, many conflict opportunity cards will produce Romantic Notions, and the Capering Relicker will occasionally give Visions of the Surface to PoSIs.

Ultimately, 625 echoes of Nostalgia currency can be converted into the 50 Permits you need, however you happen to come by it all. I like the honey route for its reliability, and you’ll gain mountains of Persuasive growth while you’re at it.
edited by Gerald Edgerton on 7/27/2015

[quote=RandomWalker]Estelle has it for the 4 card lodgings (there is an alternate method for purchasing the third residence, but it’s not dramatically better than stealing brilliant souls in the flit).

For five card lodgings, you can get them MUCH cheaper during Sacksmas, but you’ll want to prepare: night whispers, storm threnodies, scholar of the correspondence… A lot to do, but I think that there’s enough time to be ready to upgrade at least two homes. Just getting one should be relatively easy, if that’s your goal.[/quote]
Yes I plan to get the 5 tier Royal Bethlehem lodging during Sacksmas and that’s why I want to get at least ibe 4 star lodging early.

Also thanks to everyone who is helping me and possibly others.

After having spent so much your time (and considerable resources) getting to be a ‘person of some importance’, it is a sad fact that the best way to acquire accommodation befitting your newly-elevated status is to hire some unpleasant criminals, and resort to common thievery.

Specifically, getting a &quotgang of hoodlums&quot*, building up casing in the Flit, and then taking &quotThefts of Particular Character&quot to steal:

[ul][li]500 Brilliant Souls + 100 Muscaria Brandy = Brass Embassy (Requires 50 devils connection & devils card)

[/li][li]50 Antique Mystery = Royal Beth (need to get 5 nightmares & wait for cheery gentleman card)

[/li][li]50 Bazaar Permit = you can work it out…purchased from Baseborn & Fowlingpiece in side streets[/li][/ul]

depending on your desired accommodation. The Bazaar one is measurably the best in terms of card reward, but go for whatever - you’ll eventually want 'em all!

It’ll probably be past Christmas before you have any hope of getting a 5-card lodging by the insane route, at which point there are much better options involving pails of ‘snow’…

*this is the most turn-efficient way of building casing, but no small amount of effort to get in the first place. &quotWell-planned villainy&quot will work too if you’re in a rush.
edited by yetanotherone on 7/27/2015

&quotWell-planned villainy&quot gives the same amount of casing per action as the other options (besides using your gang of hoodlums). It’s better to use &quotThe decoy&quot option because you get a few pences worth of items via a bundle of oddities each time.
edited by yang573 on 7/28/2015

Ok I figured out a pretty good Antique mystery grind which The Fidgeting Writer. Now Ill have to collect the materials…

Best of luck with your Fidgeting Writer run! Be sure to progress through it in stacks rather than one at a time. It’s really discouraging trying to go through it one by one, while if you stack them you’ll feel a sense of progress as you go on.

Yeah I read the thread. Usually I have bad luck (or so I feel) but most people seem to have it.

[quote=RandomWalker]
For five card lodgings, you can get them MUCH cheaper during Sacksmas, but you’ll want to prepare: night whispers, storm threnodies, scholar of the correspondence… [/quote]
I am also interested in this endeavour.

Do you need only &quotA Scholar of the Correspondence&quot 10, for this option: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Examine_it_through_your_Semiotic_Monocle ?

Are the night whispers and storm threnodies required for the christmas option on the Urchins card?
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/"Ere,_you!_D'you_want_this%3F"

Sorry for being obtuse. Yes, that’s what you need them for. The best method to get the most from your pails of so-called snow is convoluted, but to make the most of what you’ve got you really want a decent SotC score. The other option is to get Tears of the Bazaar, but they’re harder to come by and less reliable.

If you spend fate, getting enough PtPT:tToL for the first dwelling should be easy, and still have plenty left over for other things. Having a plentiful supply of lacre will help make things easier, particularly if there are other delectables on offer.
edited by RandomWalker on 7/28/2015

So far I’ve been hoarding Tears of the Bazaar, as they’re the only thing guaranteed to keep their value if the mechanics of Lacre get changed.

Edit: I’ve never actually played during Sackmas though, so I have no idea if that’s a good idea. It’s just how I’ve been playing so far.
edited by Ian Hart on 7/28/2015

I don’t think the mechanics of lacre will change. Apart from melting at the end of the season they’ve been pretty consistent. You shouldn’t need the Tears unless you’re planning on taking a Noman to the Feast of the Exceptional Rose.

Well, I’m hoping to get everything. All the 5-card lodgings and any other seasonal goodies. So I know I’ll need a lot of lacre. If hoarding whispers and threnodies is likely to work for that, then I may have to find a good source of those.