Grinding for whispered hints

Hi, I’m just starting the forgotten quarter and wanted to know where is a good place to grind for whispered hints?
Money conversion isn’t worth it since, by my math, if I convert it means 32 Echoes/12 Supply vs. 30 Echoes/12 Supply for straight up buying supplies.

Do you have any Favours - The Docks? They’re by far the best way to get expedition supplies.

Anywho you can get a lot of whispered hints and other things in the forgotten quarter itself. Use the “Seeking Curios and Secrets in the Forgotten Quarter”. You may incidentally get an Eyeless Skull which will be useful to you later (though it’ll clog your hand with awful cards; you can sell it to the revolutionaries if you don’t want that).

I have a little of them, but no access to the docks yet, which means I have no Renown:The Docks , which I need to monetize them

You can get the renown you need at Mrs. Plenty’s Carnival. Go to The Sideshows and speak to the Zailors (costs 2 actions and 2 tickets).
You can grind up to 5 renown, enough to cash in favours in the Forgotten Quarters. You’ll get up to 5 favours: the Docks, too.
edited by Bertrand Lyndon on 2/20/2017

Ah, I had forgotten about that requirement. I believe you can get Renown 5 simply from going to the carnival. You can &quotmeet some zailors&quot at the sideshows to get both renown and favors (up to 5 renown or 7 favors).

EDIT: ninja’d~ oh well
edited by Kaijyuu on 2/20/2017

[quote=Kaijyuu]Ah, I had forgotten about that requirement. I believe you can get Renown 5 simply from going to the carnival. You can &quotmeet some zailors&quot at the sideshows to get both renown and favors (up to 5 renown or 7 favors).

EDIT: ninja’d~ oh well
edited by Kaijyuu on 2/20/2017[/quote]

Sorry. ^^

If you find yourself in the awkward position of having too many favors but not enough renown, buy an Engraved Pewter Tankard from the Bazaar. This will let you convert Favors to Renown. It is also a sound investment–either you want Renown in which case this is the only way of obtaining it, or you don’t want Renown and can sell the used Tankard back to the Bazaar for a loss of only 2.5 Echoes.

As everybody said, the best source of supplies is converting dock’s favours.
Anyway, if you still want whispered hints, and if you have access to the empress’ court, the &quotattend to matters of romance&quot storylet —> &quotattend courtly functions&quot gives you 83 WH on success, and no menaces on failure.
edited by DrMoriviri on 2/20/2017

I chased a lot of white cats in Spite when I was first getting into the Forgotten Quarter, which was the best Whispering Hint grind I had available. However, I agree with everyone else here: unless you have some RP reason not to want to get renown at the Docks, go to the Carnival and talk to zailors there to get our Docks renown up to 5. Then it’s a matter of buying the occasional round via the Docks opportunity card. You can grind Hints in Spite in between (or elsewhere, if you’re further along in other areas), for the speediest possible move forward.

If you have access to the Labyrinth of Tigers, you can Barter with the Tiger Keeper and convert lots of Jade, Rostygold, or Amber into Whispered Hints (1000:1100 ration).

Thanks everyone!
I’m grinding whispered hints using white cats, since I have no reliable source of favours(used the 7 I had the moment my Renown was high enough), and no access to any mid-game location except the Quarter, which I’m grinding for access to the University to continue my Ambition:Nemesis plotline.

If you want to increase the rate of gaining Favours: The Docks:

• Collect a Favours when the Docks opp card appears[/li][li]Get a Taciturn Mynah as your Connected Pet, and get a Favour from it’s opp card[/li][li]Do any action which change the Airs of London, and when the value is 96-100 go to the Department of Menace Eradication and talk with the Chandleress

Using the last point above will get you a Favour with the Docks roughly every ~23 actions.

Somehow yesterday’s first two posts were deleted, but don’t forget to add an Evening’s Zailling which has a frequency bigger than regular and (someone correct me if I’m wrong):

an ending of The Gift Fate story offers a card where you can buy a favour for 50 WH

And I would appreciate a PM with it if someone happens to remember!