Going for 15 notability. What do I need?

In the hopes of furthering my knowledge of the correspondence and raising my watchful beyond the level cap, I have decided it is high time to raise my notability to 15, even if it is only for a brief spell.

My question to my fellow notable Londoners is this: What should I stock up on in preparation (cards/orphanage/sideways conversions/etc) for this? Is 28 points of BDR enough to make this feasible? Assuming I can dedicate 70 actions to this a day, how long might this task take for me to finish?

[quote=Koenig]In the hopes of furthering my knowledge of the correspondence and raising my watchful beyond the level cap, I have decided it is high time to raise my notability to 15, even if it is only for a brief spell.

My question to my fellow notable Londoners is this: What should I stock up on in preparation (cards/orphanage/sideways conversions/etc) for this? Is 28 points of BDR enough to make this feasible? Assuming I can dedicate 70 actions to this a day, how long might this task take for me to finish?[/quote]
I don’t think there’s anything you need that isn’t readily apparent. Your sig shows a orphanage, so I assume you’re familiar with the endless (feeling) scheme grind. A couple things to note: the wiki isn’t always right with orphanage numbers, and that offering orphans a place seems to offer the best per-action increase.

Just build scheme until the foxes come home. Once you have it high enough, drawing Tower of Eyes enough to get 1176 cps of MW will be all it takes.

That’s all I have to offer. Sorry.

Aside from the orphanage scheme, which is covered already, I think your best bet is to just grind by attrition. There are some cards that help (the Hallowmas option on One’s Public is a good one) and even the ones that offer 2CP (drinks for writers, etc) are grist to the mill.

Apologies if I’m teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but just in case…

If you’ve got your free evenings, hosting suppers gives more MW than attending them so hosting 5 suppers will help. Coffees are pretty good, too, if you have spare actions. (Feel free to ask either of my characters - they’ve both got some free evenings and terrible coffee habits)

Other than that, using the 50-penny side conversion cycle to use up spare actions can boost MW (and you get a little profit on the side, which is nice). The Life of the Mind in the Empress’s Court is slow (Oh, so slow) but it’s worth doing if you’re close to the wire and getting stuck.

Oh, and if you’ve got the rooms above a gambling den lodging, and spare MW in the week before you start (or you have spare you don’t need for your next point), it might be worth converting it to Nights on the Town, so you can use the option on that lodging card.
edited by Lady Eris on 3/20/2016

Short answer - upconvert lots and lots of tales of terror.

Long answer: [spoiler]
I believe it’s feasible with any reasonable amount of BDR.
You’ll need to have MW 42, which is 903 CP, minus at least 28 CP from your 7+ MW left after TtH has made its appearance. Since I like nice numbers, let’s say you’ll need to get 1000 CP of Making Waves.

Now, how to go about actually getting those CP:

Disclaimer - all numbers below are taken from wiki, occasionally worsened and are not be considered precise.

First of all, orphanage. I can’t give any good advice concerning orphanage, as I am not a patron of one, but, obviously, with enough preparations you will be able to get about 150 CP per scheme on average, but, let’s say, you will be uncommonly unlucky and both draw Handsome Townhouse card only twice during the week you’ll try to hit Notability 15 and get only 250 CP MW out of it. That would leave about 750 CP more.

Now, to the grindier part - converting Tales of Terror to Uncanny Incunabula. I’m rather sceptical about gaining MW from sideconversions, as it’s a genuine waste of time in terms of MW/action. ToT conversions to Extraordinary Implication provide about 7 CP MW, Implications to Incunabula - around 12-13 CP on average. So a &quotset&quot of 5 ToT + 2 EI conversion would give you about 60 CP in seven actions. Lower the estimation to 50 CP, as you’ll be doing it a lot, so it shouldn’t be really much worse that average, and you’re left with 15 conversion sets, i.e. you’ll need 105 actions and 3750 tales of terror.

Susrprisingly (or not), it averaged on 1/5 CP MW for a single ToT upconversion all the way up with estimations generally made below the average, so your MW CP after all conversions and executed schemes can be estimated as at least ([ToT/50] * 10) + 130(150 if you’re feeling lucky) * OrphScheme (ToT upconversion is more reliable, as converting doesn’t rely on opportunity cards and you won’t suffer from bad luck as much as you may with orphanage, but you won’t get lucky with them as well).

And once you have at least the amount of CP you need, go for the kill.
[/spoiler]

I sincerely hope I didn’t screw up too much with the numbers.
edited by Talkes on 3/20/2016

While I don’t have anything to add that’s already been said, this seems like a really useful reference - so I wanted to thank those who’ve added their replies (and any future suggestions here.) ^_^

Don’t forget that Upconverting ToT cost Benthic - and you earn Cryptic Clues that can be converted back to ToT while grinding Benthic.

Also, One’s Public provides pretty good MW if you have participated in Hallowmas.

I suggest you give yourself a week to prepare before getting started.

[quote=Talkes]I’m rather sceptical about gaining MW from sideconversions, as it’s a genuine waste of time in terms of MW/action

Susrprisingly (or not), it averaged on 1/5 CP MW for a single ToT upconversion [/quote]

On this note, considering you can’t, so far as I know, get better than 3 ToT per action when gathering them, this puts this method at about 3/5 of a MW per action if you don’t already have the tales. Meanwhile, sideconverting is about 1.7 MW/action. The advantages of the upconvert route are that you can essentially &quottrigger&quot the MW in bursts - rather than the slow, grinding, depressing increase that sideconverts give - and that it’s a lot more profitable; you end up in the ballpark of 1.5 EPA, whereas sideconversions give exactly 0.5 EPA. Using these numbers, and 51MW as a common multiple, you get 85 actions for 127.5E upconverting or 30 actions for 15E sideconverting, so you need in the region of 2 EPA from your regular grind to make sideconverting more profitable. Make of that what you will.

Also, if you screw up your maths (and/or get unlucky), writing lewd satires about devils in the Singing Mandrake is okay for one last push at the end of the week - 3-10 MW for 3 actions ends up at about 2.17/action, compared to 1 for The Life of the Mind for 1.7 from sideconverting, and the Stolen Kiss puts it at an EPA slightly below life. The reason this isn’t good for anything but a final push is that it lowers Devil/Church/Society connected by 10CP each, increases Scandal by 2CP and Wounds by 1CP. Ouch.
edited by Darkroot on 3/20/2016

That’s pretty much the topic of the thread - how to reliably get Notability 15 with no restrictions on preparations .

I got carried away a bit.

As Koenig has rather high BDR, he may obviously choose to sideconvert, however, if some individual for some inexplicable reason would want to get Notability 15 with zero BDR, i.e. he’d have to hit MW 60, sideconverting-only route would be rather, err, long: 60 MW translates into 1860 CP, minus some MW left from previous week - most likely about 1800, as you wouldn’t want to waste resources increasing MW for no reason, translating into at least 1058 sideconversions. That much wouldn’t fit in a week normally - 1008 actions are refreshed weekly, plus 20\40 saved from a previous week.
So actually you can get to Notability 15 with zero BDR by sideconversions only, but that would require two weeks - first one to get to around 58 MW, starting second at 28-29 MW.

Upconverting ToT would, of course, require gathering all those tales in advance, but provides ~7-8 CP/action (counting upconversion actions only).

All the estimates I’ve made are rather pessimistic - you need to get very unlucky to get less MW than that.

I’ve heard those be true about the orphanage as well as the salon but inviting a Midnighter (as the higher tier profession) should gain you the most making waves for an equivalent amount of scheme spent.

And, this sounds obvious but don’t do what I did and send out social invites in the 12 hours before your Time the Healer hits. Bank the card if necessary and change the Airs of London to get what you want.

Also, depending on how long you hope to hold on to those max level stats, you might wish to make sure you’ve gotten everything unique that you want out of the Cave of the Nadir. I just finished this step m’self and am thus now working towards my overcapped Watchful for the same reasons as you are. :)

There’s something important missing from this thread (probably because it goes under the “teaching Grandma” category). How many weeks you’re willing to spend on prep or between pushes can hugely affect what constitutes good advice. Also if there are any other grinds you’re working on.

One example might be if you’re stocking up on Tears for a Noman. The T3 carousel isn’t very efficient, but if you’re moving TofT into Absinthe anyway, then there are two mass conversion points that can be used in different weeks. Talkes mentioned up-converting and Darkroot the triggerability of such a method. But when working on enough different ambitions (little “a”), there can be many such staging points and each “staging point” can constitute a triggerable (and efficient) way to gain MWs. Rumor, Mysteries and Influence categories especially give tons of MWs for each (high level) conversion. Not enough, perhaps, to do for their own sake, but plenty to take advantage of if you’re getting them anyway. Getting materials for The Special Books alone, is a huge source of MWs.

Anyway, I’m sure this is something most Notability players already think about, but I wanted to add it for any lurkers.
edited by MrBurnside on 3/21/2016

I would be very happy to attend anyones lodging to teach them about the ways of the Midnighter. They shall not remember but they will, mysteriously, hold you in much higher esteem once I am finished. Simply send a message to Jamie Little to establish contact and all will be well and all matter of things shall be well.

[quote=Parelle]I’ve heard those be true about the orphanage as well as the salon but inviting a Midnighter (as the higher tier profession) should gain you the most making waves for an equivalent amount of scheme spent.

And, this sounds obvious but don’t do what I did and send out social invites in the 12 hours before your Time the Healer hits. Bank the card if necessary and change the Airs of London to get what you want.[/quote]

Did anybody mentioned Polite Invitations and Talk of the Town? In case you do them, and do not need 12lvl rewards right now, I recommend to take an always-present reward of 1 Favour: Society and keep Talk of the Town for the case. When you actually doing Notability grind, spend TotT on &quotYour host would like a moment before you leave&quotoption which gets you 40 MW which is not really much, but still useful, and brings a Personal Recommendation along.
edited by curtistruffle on 3/13/2018

This post appears to have been necro’d from 2016.